William Larue Weller Antique Collection 2006

Nebraska
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got confirmation from Kris Comstock at BT that the WLW is the last of the old Stitzel-Weller stock.

...And moments later and throughout the day, William Larue Weller is heard and seen being yanked from the shelf and rushed to the cashier at locations around the country by SB.com Stitzel Weller freaks in the know...

...And moments later and throughout the day, William Larue Weller is heard and seen being yanked from the shelf and rushed to the cashier at locations around the country by SB.com Stitzel Weller freaks in the know...

I doubt that; it was already pretty much gone from the shelf to begin with...

Yep this was the rarest of the Antiques at 22 barrels. The only thing left on shelves in Lexington is some Stagg and ER and not much of that! I found 2 more bottles of WLW last week and snatched them up. My bunker is pretty well stocked with Antiques and my wallet is almost empty. I still think these bourbons are great value. The funny thing is the WLW was the lowest priced. Some stores had it for $46 and others at $49, while the rest of the Antiques were $53-56.

I just got confirmation from Kris Comstock at BT that the WLW is the last of the old Stitzel-Weller stock.

Not a surprise here -- either S-W, or as like it as BT can make. I picked up a couple more today in Nashville, and left a handful on shelves (some store managers are starting to catch on with the Antiques, and holding them for 'list-only' buyers, or limiting per-person sales -- I had one storeowner today refuse to sell me an entire 3-pack of WLW, because that was all he'd gotten. In fact, I've only found a single store that's received more than that in Middle Tennessee. That one got 6 bottles).

I stopped by a liquor store on my way home from work today and was greated by 2 bottle of WLW and 2 Handy's. I picked up one of the WLW's and called a friend to let him know they had one left. Even the big stores in Lexington only got 3-6 bottles of it. Same deal with the Handy and Saz.

I want to know what everyone outside of KY is paying for the Antique Collection. I found it today in a local liquor store and left it all on the shelf because I was upset with their price.

In KY I paid $53.99 and no tax for the Handy Rye, Stagg, ER 17 and Saz 18. And I paid $46.99 for the WLW

Here in Indiana they have it marked at:

Stagg: $54.99

And everything else is $59.99

Plus add the usual and customary tax :(

Wish I would have bought more in KY! I think we all need to Boycott! I just want to know who's being profit greedy in this.....the distributors or the retailers?

Dawn

My two regular stores -- which call me first when they get good stuff like this in -- charged me $53.99 before tax. On shelves around the area, it's $59.99.

I suspect we're at least partly to blame for the price increase, Dawn. We've spurred, if not exactly spawned, the market for the Antiques by seeking them out so avidly. That aura has increased their value to everyone, from Buffalo Trace itself to the distributor and retailers to the eBay speculators. Demand drives prices. The demand doesn't have to be justified, just present.

My two regular stores -- which call me first when they get good stuff like this in -- charged me $53.99 before tax. On shelves around the area, it's $59.99.

Honestly, $59.99 for a 17-18-19 year old whiskey doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. It just gets tight when all 5 lines are released at the same time, so you are obligated to buy all you want within a short time-period

I want to know what everyone outside of KY is paying for the Antique Collection.

The store I purchased mine at was charging $59.99 each for the Antiques. The person who checked me out told me that they were disapointed that they had to raise the price $10 from last year but they had to because the distributor was charging more for it this year. My set was purchased in IL.

Finding this was a lucky score for me, at the time I was begining to think that my only option might end up being ebay (~$120 at the time, now it's down to about $95 + shipping) so I didn't think twice and whipped out the credit card.

The prices in Pennsylvania are:

Stagg - $47.99

Eagle Rare 17 yr - $47.99

Sazerac 18 yr - $49.99

William Larue Weller - $45.99

Unfortunately, we must add a 6% sales tax.

Doug

The prices in Pennsylvania are:

Stagg - $47.99

Eagle Rare 17 yr - $47.99

Sazerac 18 yr - $49.99

William Larue Weller - $45.99

Unfortunately, we must add a 6% sales tax.

Doug

Fortunately you do not add 7.75% or even 8.25% sales tax!

I will say that last year here in SoCal they ran from $44.99 to $59.99... Or if you want to to count the ridiculuous Mission Liquors up in Pasadena $74.99 and higher! I think they probably still have last years on the shelf.

My friend in the big brown delivery truck came to my house today. Now I have an ER17,Thomas Handy rye, WLW 2006 along with Rittenhouse BIB rye. I'm glad that I got this years WLW as now it is known that it is Stitzel Weller stock. I already had a Stagg and Sazerac 18 rye. My Handy and WLW 06 were 59.99 each!

Thomas

I paid $59.99 each for all of them. The way I look at it, that's about 80 Australian dollars. A bottle of Booker's sets me back anywhere from 90-100 dollars here, so I thought the Antiques were reasonable. The one thing that really hit me was the international FedEx shipping..... US$150 :bigeyes: (that was for the antiques and a Pappy 20)

Although in saying that it got here in about 6 days and got through customs so quick they didn't charge me import duty:grin: so I've got to be happy with that!

Scott

Binnie's was 59.99 for the WLW and Handy (which they are keeping off the shelf, but will find one if you ask - and just one).

Tom

I suspect we're at least partly to blame for the price increase, Dawn. We've spurred, if not exactly spawned, the market for the Antiques by seeking them out so avidly. That aura has increased their value to everyone, from Buffalo Trace itself to the distributor and retailers to the eBay speculators. Demand drives prices. The demand doesn't have to be justified, just present.

In that case......dont buy them. They are terrible. :bigeyes:

In Lexingotn WLW was going for $46-50. All of the others were $54-58. I figure they are deal at these prices. More expensive than last year, but for what you get, very much worth the price.

Sam's in Highland Park, IL had the AC's the other night. i picked up the Weller, the Handy and two Staggs. The manager said he was limiting at least the Stagg to 3 per customer. I forgot the prices, but with tax the total was about $210, I think. The Stagg was probably $55, making the others about $45. I'm going back Friday; I'll try to check supply and prices there and at Binny's (who is supposed to have gotten me the Dickel Barrel Select).

I never thought to email Brett @ Binnys about Dickel Barrel Select. I just figured I'd never get any....might give him a call

thanks for the tip bigtoys

Scott

The 2006 WLW across the state line from Charlotte is $49.99 cash. I purchased a bottle am now completely smitten. The high proof is not as dominating as in the Stagg, but it's still got a kick. Nice balance of sweetness (caramel) and wheat profile. Long finish. Fantastic! In my top 3 bourbons...

Here's the prices at Binny's in Skokie, IL tonight:

Stagg, Eagle Rare 17 yo, Saz 18, Weller all $60

Hirsch $70-6 bottles left

I picked up (1) new Larue Weller earlier this week for $42.99. Don't bother asking where, they are long gone.

I found last years Larue not up to my high expectations. But if you spend some quality time with it, its shy personality comes out and it is a very nice, charming pour. Not outstanding though.

I was very excited by the early reviews of this years product, but I'm in a mean mood this week and have to dissent. I find it quite hot with a lot of cinnamon. This does not taste like a wheater to me. And I definitely don't taste any S/W family resemblance in there. While Stagg can be hot, there is plenty of flavor and a soothing warmth, it is quite nice after that first shocking sip. The Weller starts shocking and never gets better, no reward at all.

Last years expression was not as rich as I was hoping for, but it is still better than this years.

I want to know what everyone outside of KY is paying for the Antique Collection. I found it today in a local liquor store and left it all on the shelf because I was upset with their price.

In KY I paid $53.99 and no tax for the Handy Rye, Stagg, ER 17 and Saz 18. And I paid $46.99 for the WLW

Here in Indiana they have it marked at:

Stagg: $54.99

And everything else is $59.99

Plus add the usual and customary tax :(

Wish I would have bought more in KY! I think we all need to Boycott! I just want to know who's being profit greedy in this.....the distributors or the retailers?

Dawn

Well Dawn it just hit Cali, and let me tell you... be thankful for the prices you have. Hi Time Wine Cellar is selling them for $60 Stagg, $70 WLW and $80 Handy didn't ask about the others but I am assuming $65 or $70. I HOPE that Bevmo gets some and is a lot more reasonable; otherwise I will not be buying as many as I had thought! :hot:

Oh and when I asked about them at Bevmo, the "whiskey knowledgable" guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about. And Hi Time the guy at least knew, but was unaware of the name of the Handy... :smiley_acbt:

Hey, Christian. Here in NYC it arrived last week. On the upper West side, the Stagg is going for 86 dollars. The other bottles are between 75 and 80.

-Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.