BOTM, 1/07: Old Grand Dad BIB

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let's begin the new year by expanding on last month's BOTM. This month we're going to be talking about OGD BIB. Considered by many to be one of the best bourbon values available, OGD BIB packs a lot of flavor at only a slightly lower proof. Feel free to compare/contrast it with its premium counterpart, or with older, pre-Beam iterations. What do you have to say about this month's BOTM: Old Grand Dad BIB?

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

Jeff, the versions I have of each both are from National Distillers -- the BIB distilled in 1970 and bottled at 7 years old, the 114 from the early-'80s, thus distilled in the mid-'70s.

I'm surprised at the age of the BIB, but it gives it a color virtually identical to the 114. The nose is more forward on the lower-proof version, but deeper and richer -- displaying more caramel and orange -- in the 114. Neither is 'spirit-y', but the BIB shows more of the rye-grain characteristic in its aroma.

The BIB arrives on the palate with lively rye spice, followed by a blast of heat, smoothing into mostly-sweet-with-a-tinge-of-bitterness orange-peel theme. The clean-ending finish is relatively short, but retains the orange theme.

The rye grain that arrives on the front of the BIB oddly waits until the finish in this 114 version, competing with the orange. The entry and mid-palate consists mostly of the buttery (though prickly) caramel. It is a more refined drink than the BIB -- with more emphatic flavors mixing it up in greater conflict -- but not necessarily more complex. The theme remains orange/rye grain/touch of caramel. The finish is somewhat longer in the 114 (call it 'medium'), but leaves a bit of a butteriness across the palate.

While these will never be confused with complex, 'upper-shelf' bourbons, they are a far cry from the bottom shelf, too.

The other day I noticed that my OGD BIB was getting a little low, so I looked for the back up bottle that I thought I had and found that was the bottle I was drinking from. Yikes! I ordered a bottle and it is supposed to arrive today.

Ed

My bottle has only a pour or two left, I really like this one. I have not tried the 114 though so I am unable to compare it to last months BOTM, but from TNbourbons review I will get a bottle of each.

MikeR

I think that this is an extremely high value pour. I am a huge fan of this particular bourbon, especially the DSP 14 stuff. Whenever I am at a bar, I look for this. It is a pleasent surprise when they have it.

I always have this and the OG86 on my bar. This current bottle has remained untouched for over a year.

Thanks for giving me a nudge.

I really enjoy OGD 114, this is my first taste of the OGD BIB. Very nice nose, for me a little orange peel and dried fruit, a hint of caramel. Nice smooth taste...definitely rye, a little oily maybe. Not the heat of the 114, a clean finish that lasted me a pleasant time.

I am glad I like this...I couldn’t find the .75 so I bought the 1.75 Liter bottle (my sacrifice to try and keep up with the BOTM). Money well spent. This will bring many nice pours my way.

:toast:

Had my first pour of this last week and my second last night. The first thing I notice was the nose on this pour. Wow! I felt like there was a lot going on there. I felt a nice warming effect. This seemed like a nice winter pour. Has to be one of the best I have had under 20 bucks.

This and the 114 are real favorites of mine. The BIB was a regular before I had the 114, and I while now reach for the 114 more, the BIB is my standard for cocktail experimentation. Thanks to this thread for reminding me just how wonderful it is as a neat pour as well. Maybe because of the lower proof, I usually get a little more citrus upfront with the BIB, and a nice, but limited, amount of oiliness. I think this bourbon is wonderfully balanced among the tastes it brings, with a peppery rye sensation usually standing just a little more forward. The earthy nature of rye is there too, but last night that was more apparent in the 114.

I've often said that the BIB or WT 101 would be my choice if stocking a single bourbon for company. The BIB makes a splendid Manhattan or Old Fashion, the rye and proof assert themselves nicely with ginger ale, and it's cheap enough that someone who just dumps it into Coke can go ahead and have at it. But anyone who thinks of it only as a mixer is missing a lot; it will reward contemplative sipping as much as any bourbon in its price range, or notably higher. And at about $5 less than the WT 101, the main drawback to the BIB being the "bourbon for all purposes" is that the WT carries more snob appeal, but I actually like the "low rent" look of the orange label and cap.

Bob

My first time trying the BIB and it is very good. Definitely not as rich or complex as the 114 - which I have enjoyed for some time now. Still, very good choice and a bottle that needs to be kept on hand at all times in my opinion.

I echo the comments of many here.

This is a very good bourbon and one I choose when I unexpectedly find it in bars (certainly over the typical JBW and MM). But it is not as complex and interesting as OGD 114, which is what I would choose when in a liquor store.

OGD BIB 100 proof is the bourbon whiskey that really lit my fire for bourbon. The old-fashioned orange label and screw cap, the historical 100 proof, the fact that it makes no apologies for what it is, all add up to being my favorite everyday bourbon pour, bar none.

Comparing this OGD BIB to say WT101, I'd say that OGD definitely has more of an introductory kick to both the nose and the pallet. WT101 is a little more "rounded" in that the corn is more noticeable to me and subdues the rye, which perhaps makes the WT101 a little more of a balanced drink. OGD's rye stands out and offers a beautiful nose and nice hearty initial strength in the first taste, and then keeps that same strength in each subsequent drink. I personally don't buy OGD BIB 100 proof for its balance-I buy it for its outstanding aroma and taste, not to mention the image of one of the most famous names in bourbon. When I want a rye-strong bourbon, this is the one I reach for; and when I want an everyday bourbon, this is the one I reach for.

This bourbon, on ice or with good ginger ale, accompanies Texas barbecue very well, in my opinion. It also goes well with other simple country-style cuisine. I hope Jim Beam allows this bourbon to continue to set the tone for old-fashioned bourbons. We OGD drinkers and fans should make sure Jim Beam knows how we feel!

I'm a big fan of this classic bourbon. For some reason it reminds me a little of apple pie, but I must be crazy

Good choice for BOTM, Jeff.

I've got one here I mentioned in another thread recently, it is a BIB '71-'80. Despite the 9 years of age it tastes younger and probably aged slowly because of its location in the warehouse.

Color is medium, old gold. It's got a fairly heavy, almost metallic nose, dry though, not sweet/peanut brittle.

The taste is dry again and "wheaty" or grainy rather. It doesn't have the yeasty-like finish (if that's the right word) I find in current OG but a clean, grainy depth and smooth finish.

A fine U.S. whiskey, the closest I can think of today in this vein is Booker's maybe, or Baker's. It doesn't taste like those modern exemplars of the Beam taste, yet it does.

Gary

I just spent 10 days in Las Vegas, while I was there I bought a single glass of AH Hirsch blue Wax for $13. I also bought a bottle of OGD BIB for $13. Both were exceptional values. Those were the only two purchases I made during that trip that I would consider to be "values", all of the rest varied from "Just OK" to "ripoff". $10 for a single shot of JDSB at the Hard Rock was at the bottom of my value list.

OGD BIB is the best value in Bourbon today. Hot, Spicy, full of character, full mouth feel, it is one fine pour.

Other than the difference in proof, is the OGD 86 significantly different from the BIB? My local store has the 86, but not the 100.

The key word is "significant." Relative to Jim Beam (which makes OGD), Grand-Dad is a very small brand. It's possible they make a "batch" -- that is, they dump the necessary number of barrels -- reduce it to 114 proof, bottle what they need of that, reduce to 100 proof, bottle what they need of that, then cut it to 86 for the rest. However, since there are requirements for the "bonded" expression that don't apply to the others, it's possible they do them separately. Normally, the different proof expressions of a brand don't have their own individual profiles, it's the same stuff with more water. My guess would be that's the case with OGD.

After laying out the possibilities my answer, unfortunately, is "I don't know." However, if you would like to try Old Grand-Dad -- and I think most here agree that you should -- and the bond isn't available to you, then by all means try the 86. Grand-Dad is unique because of the yeast and the mash bill, which should come through regardless of proof.

I love OGD BIB. The rye character is definitely out front, and I've recently come across a couple of older bottlings in which this is supposedly even more true. I eagerly await the chance to find out.

I also recently came across an 86-proof from the ND era that has an age statement of 8 years. My guess is that the age is significantly more than current 86-proof bottlings, but a side-by-side tasting should shed light on that.

I think at any proof OGD is a great expression of in-your-face rye character balanced by more traditional bourbon richness and depth. I prefer the BIB to the OGD 114, mostly because when consumed neat, it seems to embody the depth of the 114 and the dangerously drinkable genius of the 86-proof.

And darkluna, I think the apple pie comparison is apt. Spicy-sweet and rich, comforting and warming without being insipid or over-the-top. There is a definite note of clove and cinnamon in the nose especially, and the sweetness of the middle complements it to create an experience akin to, yes, a good slice of apple pie. Now I'm hungry...

This is my first bottle of OGD BIB, and my first go around with BOTM. OGD is deeeeeelicious!!! Sorry I waited so long, a new favorite as of today. Tried it with a few drops of water and with ginger ale. Loved it both ways, in fact best bourbon and ginger ale ive ever had. Slightly dilluted, again perfect. I might be crazy but to me it tasted like a 70% JBB, 30% MM vatting. I love all Beam bourbons though, so glad seeing this on BOTM pushed me toward a purchase.

Other than the difference in proof, is the OGD 86 significantly different from the BIB? My local store has the 86, but not the 100.

Chuck gave you plenty of info, and I agree that you should try to 86, if that's what you have. We tend to focus on the other bottlings here, but the 86 is a fine base bourbon, far better I IMHO than the Jim Beam white, which is usually a buck or two more. And if you are still reluctant to spring for a 750 ml bottle, a little searching might produce a smaller container; I have a 200 ml of the 86 that is waiting for the right trip to go in the overnight bag.

Bob

All one can say for sure is that all of the OGD bottlings are at least four years old, because they don't carry an age statement. However, OGD has historically been considered a "premium" brand, so I would venture a guess that it is 5 to 6 years old.

I don't have a bottle of the BIB at the moment but my mental recollection of it's taste is exactly what TNBourbon described - orange peel.

Thanks to the handy dandy search function and the acronym list posted in October, I have learned what BIB stands for. Is this indicated on the bottle label? I'm not sure if this is available in PA but I'm willing to look if I knew what to look for. Thanks.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!