2 bottles of PVW 15 or 1 bottle of AH Hirsch 16?

heatmiser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is the AH Hirsch 16 worth the price of 2 PVW 15's? Would like to try it if it is THAT good but if I am paying for the scarcity than I will stick with the PVW15. Any thoughts from those that have tried both???

I'm one of a tiny minority here who considers the latest, so-called "gold foil" bottling of Hirsch 16 y/o to be only average bourbon -- different, but not in a particularly good way. I wouldn't trade even one bottle of PVW 15 for it.

However, if you find the gold wax bottling, which in my opinion is far superior to the later bottling, then such a swap might be worthwhile -- certainly on a one-time basis.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I would go for 2 bottles of Pappy 15 anytime. I have a bottle of Hirsch and while I do like it, It isn't worth 2 bottles of PVW 15 in my opinion!

Thomas

I'd take the two bottles of PVW 15 any day of the week.

JOE

Hands down, walking away, no questions asked, without a doubt, and nary a second thought... PVW 15. My personal favoritest Bourbon!

Yeah I got a bottle of AH 16 about a month ago, Very, Very nice bourbon! But 2 bottles of one of my top 5's. No way bring on the Pappy 15, some of the best bourbon you can find....

Step 1; Go to the ATM, get $40

Step 2; Go to Bellagio in Las Vegas

Step 3; Go to the Fontana Bar

Step 4; Order a Blue Wax AH Hirsch

Step 5; Order a ORVW 15/107

Step 6; Drink them both, Hirsch wins hands down.

Under this scenario the 1 Hirsch beats 2 ORVW's. It is that good. Up until the point where I had done this experiment, I would have chosen the Pappy's.

I agree that Gold foil doesn't equal Gold wax, which doesn't equal Blue wax, but it is all good, very very good. I think I'll go pour a Hirsch right now.

Probably your best bet is to buy two Pappy's and one Hirsch.

a case of McCormick and some Kentucky Tavern

com'on,.... you expect to get a KT with a full case of McC?

I'm one of a tiny minority here who considers the latest, so-called "gold foil" bottling of Hirsch 16 y/o to be only average bourbon -- different, but not in a particularly good way. I wouldn't trade even one bottle of PVW 15 for it.

However, if you find the gold wax bottling, which in my opinion is far superior to the later bottling, then such a swap might be worthwhile -- certainly on a one-time basis.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I'm with you. I recently purchased 2 Hirsch 16s, as I felt the need. I have cracked one, and I wasnt overly impressed. I prefer Blantons Gold, which I can pick up for the same price down here......I haven't yet had Pappy 15, but I hope to have one in the next week or so.....My pappy 23 has cleared customs and should be delivered tomorrow (don't you love tracking numbers!):grin:

Scott

Scott, I still have 1 and a half bottles of Pappy 15.....

I'll make sure you do get to try it :cool:

Scott, I still have 1 and a half bottles of Pappy 15.....

I'll make sure you do get to try it :cool:

Thanks mate, I suppose you want to open and try the 23yo??:skep:

hehehe maybe one day mate! the wax seal has a crack around it, it's screaming to be opened!:grin:

Scott

The Hirsch is a really fine bourbon. I like it very much. Unfortunately, it's getting more and more expensive which makes it hard to justify adding bottles to the bunker. I already have a bottle of Hirsch that I'm nursing. Next month, I'm going to get my hands on 4-5 bottles of the Pappy 15 and probably 2 bottles of Pappy 20.

I think these two bottles versus one bottle discussions are silly. Is a Rolls Royce worth 10 Honda Civics? What the heck are you going to do with 10 Honda Civics?

Premium spirits have relative values, but while price can be compared - quality and taste are not only personal, but downright impossible to put a measure on.

Now, if you are asking a question from a comparative perspective, I'd tell you that eventually (IMHO) 2 ORVW 15/107s are going to be worth more than one foil Hirsch. I think the ORVW will appreciate in value much faster than the Hirsch which is probably at the top of its value (given that true collectors will go after the blue and gold wax versions).

I contend that the analogy of automobiles to bourbon is inappropriate.

Consider the following: One bottle of Pappy 23 vs. 10 bottles of Weller Centennial?

I may not drive 10 Honda Civics, but I'll certainly drink 10 bottles of Weller. Furthermore, if my annual budget for bourbon is around $300, those options are realistic.

Stated differently, over a year's time would I rather have 15 pours of Pappy or 150 pours of the Weller? I can see each as a worthwhile option.

The implications of the original poster's question aren't as far-reaching, but the principle is the same. I don't see it as silly at all.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The Rolls Royce vs Honda Civics question is too general. If I choose Honda Civics, do I get to choose 10 different colors? I could always drive one of a different color if I get sick of driving the first one. Just kidding! I have a bottle of both Hirsch 16 and Pappy 15. Both are good bourbons and fortunately I got my Hirsch on sale for exactly the same price as I bought the pappy for last year. due to this fact, I would take 2 bottles of pappy vs 1 Hirsch simply because I like the Pappy better and I don't feel like paying the current price for the Hirsch!

Thomas

My real point is that the cost of quality is rarely linear - and that more of a good thing isn't necessarily better than less of a better thing.

My real point is that the cost of quality is rarely linear - and that more of a good thing isn't necessarily better than less of a better thing.

Of course, that is going on the assumption that the Hirsch is a Rolls, and the Pappy is a Civic. IMO, I have a hard time giving the Hirsch anywhere near that kind of quality lead. Actually, now that I think about it, I would give the Pappy the edge. But, that's me.

Now, if you're strictly into bunkering rarer items, to sell at an inflated price on e-bay or something sometime in the future--then things might be different.

JOE

Comparing the Pappy to the Hirsch is more akin to a Mercedes to a BMW. Both are very fine pours that have their strengths and weakness. I do prefer the original Hirsch to the Pappy by a wide enough margin, but I also like to mix things up.

What I find most interesting on the pricing of the Hirsch is that when it first came out (blue wax) it was priced upwards of $70-80 - and that was over 10 years ago.

Well... I was at Flemings Steakhouse in Newport Beach last night and had some AH Hirsch 16 for the first time. It was just okay IMO. It tasted a little thin and the finish was average at best. Glad I had some before I popped open my recently purchased bottle. Think I will be returning this one to the store I bought it from...

I was just at Hi Times last night and was speaking with Trayce (their buyer) and he assured me that the AH Hirsch I tried the other night must have been left open for a long time or the contents were tainted as the profile is nothing like I had experienced. I will keep my bottle and give it another shot...

Beware of unusually high expectations.

I love the Original Hirsch, but have never tasted the latest foil version, but I doubt anything can live up to its mythical expectation.

I still have about a third of a bottle of the gold wax. Each time I open another of my dwindling supply of the gold foil, I compare the two. The difference is not mythical.

Now the blue wax, which I've never had the good fortune to try, that's mythical. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.