A. H. Hirsch 20 yo

Night Gallery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeah it was foil, that's why I passed since I already have a few. Still, at $86, it was a fairly good deal considering. If anyone is interested, it was in Lawrenceville. Again my apologies for mixing up threads. More than a couple people got excited for a moment.

I found a gold wax 16 yr for $140.00 this week. I did not grab it. What's the boards thoughts? Should I run and grab it tomorrow :rolleyes: !

Thanks for your help! The 16 yo stays. The 15yr Pappy just took a hump here as well $59.99 and getting harder to find.

I can about guarantee you there are several on this board that would grab the gold wax Hirsch for that price. If you ever want to try it, now is the time!

You know, at this point, I'm kind of curious as to what a bottle of 16 yo blue wax would go for. About 6 months ago, I had a friend do a little plumbing work for me. I offered to pay him for the job but he declined - instead, I gave him the bottle of blue wax that I had bought some years ago for somewhere around $60 - $70.

He and a few of his cohorts polished it off in a few days!

Bill

There was, maybe still is, someone who posted here who had worked at a Pennsylvania ABC store and accumulated quite a collection of Hirches, mostly (if I remember correctly) pre-gold foil, and cases of them at that. If that person is interested in liquidating that collection, in a completely legal and possibly very lucrative fashion, that person should contact Christie's auction house as soon as possible.

OK now my head is a mess? Should I get the gold wax bottle? It's tuff I can get 2 bottles of 15 yr Pappy with some $ left. I could put it towards the 07 BTAC comming to a store near you soon! :smiley_acbt: I just don't know?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, if $140 for one bottle of whiskey is a stretch for you, then don't get it. It's not the equivalent of 7 bottles of Weller 12. Don't feel bad.

But if $140 isn't a stretch for you, then you should get it and drink it, and toast to your prosperity.

The only answer I can offer is philosophical. Only you can translate principle into practice.

Suppose I could absolutely assure you that the bottle in question is

1. the best bourbon you would ever taste in your life,
  2. that it will give you twice the enjoyment of gold foil for only 140% of the price,
  3. that you'll never again have the opportunity to acquire one at any price, and
  4. the current Pappy 15 will be available long enough for you to buy the Hirsch now and accumulate funds to buy the Pappy later.

Would that be sufficient to convince you to buy it? If not, then you have your answer.

If it would, then we can parse the four elements. Number one is a matter of speculation, but I find it improbable. I will go only so far as to say that you'll enjoy it and you'll never taste anything quite like it.

Number two is a slam dunk IMO, but not everyone agrees. I have an open bottle of gold wax which I hope to finish on my deathbed. To finish it in haste would leave me with an empty feeling; to leave any behind would be a sad waste. In contrast I have an open bottle of the gold foil that I may never finish. If a guest wanted to mix it with root beer, I would have no qualms. I recently found an unopened bottle I didn't know I had. I plan to sell when it hits $1000 on eBay -- or maybe I'll give it away. Who knows? I definitely will not drink it.

Number three is unlikely IMO, but I am fairly confident that if/when you see it for sale in the future, the price will be much higher. (If someone knows where to buy it today for less, I will happily recant.)

Number four is a question you can answer for yourself.

Underlying it all is the question of how the expenditure of $140 elsewhere would affect your life. IOW, do you have other totally unsatisfied wants that could be satisfied for $140?

I guarantee you that no $140 bottle of bourbon will give you enjoyment equal to that of three bottles of your favorite $45 bourbon.

However, if that $140 would buy the gear to start some activity you've always wanted to try (let's say tennis, in honor of the U.S. Open, currently underway), then you'd go from zero enjoyment of tennis to a very high percentage of the maximum you will ever achieve. I'd guess at least 75%.

Finally, there's a modified form of the "sour grapes" notion to consider. If you never try the gold wax Hirsch, you can always tell yourself it wasn't worth the price and never regret passing it up. If you try it and reach that conclusion, then maybe you'll always regret your decision.

Bottom line? Unless you can spend $140 without batting an eye, leave the bottle for someone else.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I do not know if it was indicative of the entire Gold Wax run or if I had a bad bottle, but the one I have had was terrible. Not sure what it was, wasn't corked, at first I thought it was but the more I drank it the more I was sure there was no cork issue what so ever. It was metallic, tasted as if it has been sitting in a steel flask for about 3 months.

I don't mean to attempt to sway your opinion based on what very well could have been a fluke experience, but it very well may be something you want to consider. Quite frankly I only really consider the blue wax something special. Maybe that is based on my bad experience, maybe the fact that it is the second run, maybe the fact that the gold wax has the same label as the gold foil; whatever the ultimate reason for my feeling this way I'd leave gold wax on the shelf and spend the money on other things I don't have or haven't had.

Christian,

Your description reminds me of my impression of the gold foil version. Very curious.

If I'd ever had the pleasure of tasting the blue wax version, maybe I too would find the gold wax suffers in comparison.

The possibility of getting a so-called "bad bottle" is certainly another factor to consider when contemplating an expensive purchase. I doubt that anyone would stand behind a Hirsch bottling in the manner that, say, Buffalo Trace does theirs.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

GREAT! Thanks everyone for the comments. I will pick up the gold wax next week. :bowdown: Thanks Dave! I laid back on the chase lounge in the family room and read your post twice! I feel as though I should call you Freud :slappin: .

I have never had a Hirsch and if $140 is as cheap as it gets then it has to be put in the collection. For drinking that is…not for collecting. I will be sure to let you know my thoughts!

Once again I really appreciate all the help in walking me through this process since I did not know if the price was fair or inflated !

A response I often hear is the following:

"OK, I'll make the damn decision. Just please stop talking!" :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I have only had the gold foil and I think it's outstanding. I would not hesitate to buy the gold wax at that price. My wife would get over it.....eventually.

Hey Dave, don't stop talking! Your 4 steps really helped out as well as Chuck! I just was not sure if anyone else had paid that king of coin for the same bottle? I have seen the gold foil go for more on "THE SICKNESS" (AKA eBay) but had never seen or new of the Wax top offerings. After reading about them from many posts on SB.com I thought I get some thoughts.

Again Everyone thanks:grin: ! Sorry fir promoting so much chat on the 16 on a 20 yr post!!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 2 Gold Foil 16 yr old bottles from Binny's yesterday for $69.99 each! Brett said the price had just gone up but we had been playing phone tag for a couple weeks, so he gave me the old price. Now I aint funny but you gotta love that guy. :cool:

Don't care how you slice it, Binny's is top knotch:grin: :grin: :grin: !

I don't think there's going to be a final selling price. The starting bid is set for $500! Do people know about and value Hirsch (almost) as much as the VS Old Fitz we've seen go for $600?

Hmm, this makes me think of the whole question of the value of bourbon. Scotch is so much more expensive, sometimes a certain scotch goes for thousands of dollars. Is it really that much better than bourbon? I don't think so, yet I wince at and even question the sanity of someone trying to sell Hirsch for $500 or gold foil for $100.

Hmm, rather than continuing on this idea here, I started a new thread on the topic of bourbon value.

I just noticed this bottle is the subject of another thread here. luv2hunt thinks it will sell at $500, I think it won't. Who will guess correctly? :lol:

Stay tuned, only a bit over 2 days remaining...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.