'07 Kentucky Bourbon Festival

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With the festival less than five weeks away, I went and made our flight reservations today. Val is joining me this year as she has a business appointment with Bourbon Community Hospital in Paris, KY on Thursday. Current schedule is to arrive L'ville Wed evening. I'll attend the FR luncheon Thursday while Val takes care of business. I also plan to acquire some of the new FR release while at the luncheon. After that, nothing firmed up except for the Boone Shindig/Tasting Competition.

Staying at SB.com central (General Nelson) 9/13, 14 and 15. Was considering going to L'ville and tour Bluegrass Brewing Co's facilities if anyone else is interested in going with me....let me know and I'll set up the tour.

Now the only thing to do is pick out a few interesting things for the Gazebo table. Looking forward to see all again.....and hopefully some new faces.

Randy

Randy, I am arriving by car (Libby not with me this time, work comittments preclude it) sometime on Thursday in Bardstown. Staying at The Gables B&B - I was too late for GN this year, but Gables is downtown quite close to GN.

I am up for dinner out Thursday night if anyone wants to do it, it doesn't have to be fancy, how about barbeque somewhere in the area, that place out of town Brenda once recommended is excellent, it has wooden tables outside, might be nice to eat outside and chat there.

Or if it should be in town, I can do that too, but I'd do something relatively informal and have the drinks after when we're back in town. But open to suggestions here.

Love to go to BBC but I may not have time since I have to meet a friend from Evansville (Indiana) and it may be during the day on Friday, so I'd sign on if it was possible to commit at the last minute (which is no committment, I know..).

I am bringing materials this time for a Mai-Tai pitcher and ditto of Margarita -there will be plenty of great bourbon and I'd like to do something a bit different. This time I'll have ice too, since Wade pointed out that lack of same may have prevented some from trying my cocktails.

For Bettye Jo's I'll have some food (not sure what), some bourbon, some beer. And some maple syrup from Ontario but that is just for Jim and BJ. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Gary

I am a bunch of 'who knows?es' currently, with active GN reservations for Thursday-Sunday, but no real plan to attend. My 'last-minute' status may mean I miss the gig entirely, or that I only attend a couple of nights' Gazebo. We'll see.

I am up for dinner out Thursday night if anyone wants to do it, it doesn't have to be fancy, how about barbeque somewhere in the area, that place out of town Brenda once recommended is excellent, it has wooden tables outside, might be nice to eat outside and chat there.

I'll be arriving by car late Tuesday night (after a brief tour of lovely TN) and staying at the GN through Sunday. I'm dragging Art (ArtL) along as well. Gary, as of now I am available for dinner Thursday night and would love to have some great barbeque! Count me in on that.

Cheers,

I will be arriving sometime Thursday. Driving of course. The Boone Shindig is the only plan I have so far. Staying at my place in Louisville.

Unknown so far as to when Thursday I will be in, so I'm hesitant to sign up for anything that day, but if last minute additions are okay, then I may be able to attend.

Well, just further down from the GN is a barbeque place (on same side of the street, set back a bit from the curb), a restaurant and bar. Close enough to walk to. I ate there once, it was fine, and not expensive.

I plan to head there about 7:00 p.m. on Thursday for some beer and barbeque. Hopefully others will come.

Gary

Gary,

The barbeque restaurant that you are referring to moved about 15 miles out of town. I believe that it was called Hog Wild. They moved close to Lebanon Junction. Joe and I went to their new location during the most recent Sampler. To get there from The General Nelson, turn left on Stephen Foster, follow Rte 62, turn right on Rte 61 at or near Boston, Ky and continue to I65. The restaurant is on the left side in a lrage truck stop area where I65 crosses 61.

Doug

Thanks Doug, I didn't know that, but that is the name, yes.

I'll be at the new location (thanks again Doug) from about 7:00 p.m. on the Thursday, maybe a bit earlier.

Hope some people (folks, as the Americans say - it's creeping into Canadian usage too now) can join me!

Gary

As is known, I like to indicate what I'll bring for Gazebo, it may interest too some people who can't attend.

My Margarita base is now safely ensconced in a 1.75 litre jug that used to hold Bulleit.

The tequilas are a blend of 6 brands: Olmeca Gold; Herradura Reposado; Cuervo Oro; Agava (a South African tequila clone made from blue agave); 4 Copas Blanco; and Sauza Gold.

The blending was so good I didn't need to add any vodka for display (i.e., to assist and bring out the flavours of the constituents).

I then added Cointreau Triple Sec, it is however only about 20% of the total, which may not be enough.

The citrus element has not been added, I will do this at the table and I plan to use only Rose's Lime Cordial in accordance with a suggestion Ed Phelan made to me.

However I will bring extra triple sec and probably some sugar syrup to adjust the final taste if necessary. The Rose's will add more sugar, so I may not need any more, we'll see.

I'll transfer it with the lime juice into a pitcher and keep ice in a separate container for those who wish to chill it in their glass.

More soon on my plans for what I have dubbed my Boss Mai-Tai. :)

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hog Wild didn't move that was their original (1st) location :grin:

I will be flying in to Louisville on the 12th Wednesday.

Staying there and drinking at the Cumberland Brewery maybe.

From the 13th Thursday to 16th Sunday I have the same room at the

Best Western as usual.

So Thursday night I might be bringing some Growlers from Loisville

to the Gazebo.

Only plan right now is the Boone Shindig,good for Yuki and I we want to

take things slower this year.I will be packing and making boxes all Sunday

again.

See ya all soon.

Koji

Well, sorry to those whom I didn't get back to earlier but I confirmed my reservations for GN for Wed-Sun. I plan on taking the grand tour on the way from the Rockies, Sunday night in KC for BBQ, Monday and Tuesday night with Dad in SE Missouri and then on to Bardstown on Wednesday AM with the obligatory stop at the Fern Valley LB of course. Hoping to get my butt out of the sack for the FR breakfast this year but beyond the Boone Shindig and a trip or two to Louisville during the week I have a wide open calendar. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be proffering to the Gazebo table but then half the fun is the surprises you find.

Tim, I hope you get your ducks in a row, it wouldn't be the same without ya.

No plans at this time for any apronage but you never can tell what I'll show up with...Toasted Ravs are planned for the Shindig again if I have time to pick some up in St Louis on the way through. Gotta pick up the sauce from that World Famous Pizza place that Bettye Jo turned me on to....

Beware of Dr Bourbonstein....

:cool: looking forward to seeing you Dane

I'm bringing my woman...I'm hoping after she see's your culinary skills and the size of your apron she still thinks I'm adequate enough.

Just got good news....we will be staying at the General Nelson (arriving Thursday evening). Now I won't have to rely on Barb to be a designated driver for me after the Gazebo <G>.

I can now report I have made my Mai-Tai that I will serve and it is great!

My friend Robin found some Orzatta, which is an Italian version of Orgeat, i.e., almond syrup. It is milky white, sweet and flavoured strongly of almond.

I used the orgeat, an aged Barbados rum, triple sec, fresh lime and lots of ice. (The proportions are proprietary :)). The drink is absolutely superb.

It is very balanced, faintly almondy and smooth and potent.

The Boss will love it!

Gary

Gary......I worked on the "best" Mai Tai recipie for years and mine is similar to yours. I sometimes use a little fresh orange juice instead of the triple sec....and sometimes a little pineapple juice for acidity and flavor, but always keep lime juice the predominant fruit flavor.

Randy

Is anybody else going to the Four Roses luncheon on Thursday? I am looking for a ride there from either Lexington, Louisville or Bardstown (I haven't finalized our hotel for Wednesday yet). Val will pick me up afterwards. Thanks.

Randy

Randy,

We're heading for 4 Roses from Louisville on Thursday morning. Be glad to give you a ride. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown, arriving Tuesday. Le me know.

Joe :usflag:

A free activity for Mellow Moments Club members. I signed up about a month ago. All spots taken as I understand. Jim R gives an update on what's going on at FR.

Randy

Hi Gang,

I am new to this forum and to bourbon tasting in general. I live in Ohio and plan to go to the Bourbon Festival for 1 day only because of my work and was just wondering what events are a must see for Saturday or Sunday of the festival? Also can bourbon be bought on Sunday down there to take back with me? Do they sell it at the distilleries? I want to hit at least 2-3 distilleries or maybe just the festival...what do you think? Thanks, Hermanski :cool:

I know Buffalo Trace sells on site, they had ER10, Pappy 20, and a pretty decent Vodka that I though was a great buy. I believe small batch and single barrel is availible at Four Roses too. Makers and Woodford you can find anywhere. Not sure about the others, hoping to find out next weekend.

Tim

The Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center is the only one that is close to the Festival site. No distillery tour (their distillery is in Louisville) but it's a good museum and I think the tour includes a visit to a warehouse. The best tours that actually show you the distillery are Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve and Four Roses.

Sunday liquor sales are a local option. Louisville liquor stores are open on Sunday, stores in Lexington are not. I'm pretty sure the Bardstown stores are not. I'm also pretty sure the distilleries are controlled by the local option, so if that town's liquore stores are closed on Sunday, the distillery won't be able to sell on Sunday either. Also, the distilleries typically don't offer a full line, just one or maybe a couple "souvenir" products.

On Saturday night is the big, fancy dress "gala," for which you need a ticket and which, IMO, is a bore and a waste of time and money. During the day the main thing is the booths in front of Spaulding Hall and you'll want to visit the museum, which is in Spaulding Hall. There is an outdoor bourbon garden right there too, where you can drink. That's about it so far as official activities go anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.