'07 Kentucky Bourbon Festival

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Bourbon Heritage center now sells on Sunday. The only place in Bardstown that you will be able to buy on Sunday.

During the day the main thing is the booths in front of Spaulding Hall and you'll want to visit the museum, which is in Spaulding Hall.
Alrighty then. Shakedown Time! The Getz Museum continues on contributions, if there is an endowment and there may well be, I have no idea what it is. The box is inside the door. I won't go any further than that but truly if everyone dropped about the same amount as a souvenir shot glass in the box it would go a long way.

Thanks in advance!

I know I havent been around here much this year :(, but maybe I will run into some of you in Bardstown this year! (and Bobby you can always count on me to cotribute to the Getz, its a beautiful place!).

I will keep an eye out,

TomC

Murph! I'll be at Gazebo each night from next Thursday. Hope to see you there.

Gary

The new girl and I will see what we can do. we jumped on the idea late, and are staying in Elizabethtown. (and dammit I am gonna start posting around here again!) :-P

I really do miss it.

TomC

Okay, understand. I will be in Bardstown during each day until Sunday. Maybe we will see you in town or at the Spirit Garden. I'll be wearing a black Yankees cap, am in my 50's, glasses. Have a good trip Tom.

Gary

Okay, understand. I will be in Bardstown during each day until Sunday. Maybe we will see you in town or at the Spirit Garden. I'll be wearing a black Yankees cap, am in my 50's, glasses. Have a good trip Tom.

Gary

I will most assuredly keep my eye out.

I will probably have Red Sox stuff on at least one day, thats funny! We might swing by he gazebo on Friday night to see who is around ;)

Tomc

Back to Bobby's point about the Getz. In fact, there is no endowment or any kind of real funding plan, long or short term. How do I say this as nicely as possible? The Getz is a wonderful place but it's not wonderfully well run. Cash in the box is probably the best way to support them. Most institutions, like most people, always need money, but the Getz lives day-to-day. A few bucks in the till will help keep the lights on.

If you have a little more to spend, go to the auction. Proceeds benefit the Getz and even if you're not bidding, it's a lot of fun.

Back to Bobby's point about the Getz. In fact, there is no endowment or any kind of real funding plan, long or short term. How do I say this as nicely as possible? The Getz is a wonderful place but it's not wonderfully well run. Cash in the box is probably the best way to support them. Most institutions, like most people, always need money, but the Getz lives day-to-day. A few bucks in the till will help keep the lights on.

If you have a little more to spend, go to the auction. Proceeds benefit the Getz and even if you're not bidding, it's a lot of fun.

Chuck here is right! (Hi Chuck, long time no see!) The auction is cool as hell (even though I could never afford to buy anything at it. It sure would be such a shame to see such a useful tool for showing an important part of history go to waste.

TomC

I know, as fact, that the Getz family bears nearly the full support to keep their father's dream alive. Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Getz made it clear (no exceptions) that there will never be a charge to enter the Oscar Getz museum...donations only.

I know for a fact, that that donation box bears very, very little the majority of the time....embarrassing little. Folks flow thru there like a waterfall and most never have a clue what keeps the place going.

Insert, published by "The Kentucky Standard" (my home-place newspaper) filled with a lot of neat stuff about the Kentucky Bourbon Festival...

and...

of course that's our "Fubu" (David Hoffman) doing a back flip, off the rick, right after the Barrel Rolling competition.

The picture (top) is Sam Cecil (whiskey thief in hand) during his younger days at Maker's Mark...The layout of this is so impressive. They did a wonderful job :grin:

post-20-14489813349837_thumb.jpg

Hey guys I have a question. The past two times I went to the Bourbon Festival (02 & 03) I stayed at the General Nelson, so i havent had this issue. This time I am staying in Elizabethtown, so I am curious to what the parking situation is?

TomC

The Pre-KBF excitement is building at the Phalen Ranch.

I woke up early and immediately started the day by rubbing my pork. Its resting now.

Patty commented that my nuts were particularly large for this time of year, just prior to soakin them in bourbon.

I just had my second cup of coffee and now its time for the pork to go on the smoker for 12-14 hours and chop the nuts for the bourbon bacon brittle.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Parking has never been a problem. You don't really even need to use the pay lots (that generally support some high school drill team or another), as I've always found there to be plenty of on-street parking.

Checking the weather due in Bardstown for the end of the week through the weekend. Looks like it will stay dry throughout. Low 80's highs and mid 50's lows until Saturday. Saturday high 66 and low Saturday night a chilly 46. I'm a hot weather person, but bourbon and gazebo time is better with a little nip in the air!

Cheers!

JOE

Chris and i were checking out the booths at the festival grounds and we passed a gentleman sitting in the chair outside of the Wild Turkey booth. I took notice that the crowd was moderate passing in and out and nobody seemed to mind the gentleman resting his resources in the chair, or even take notice of him.

As we started in I stopped and said, "That looks like a mighty comfortable place to be with a guy who has so much on his mind, you look like you're getting a breathe of fresh air". He looked up and said "just relaxing". I said, "Bill Friel told me the best way to relax was to take a cruise to Alaska and not go to Italy". The man in the chair laughed.

He said, "you know me, don't you?". I said, "yep a man sitting in a chair enjoying an afternoon in Bardstown".

We talked about the events going on around town, the fact that he had caught hell from his wife because she felt the event he needed to go to was over-ridden by the fact that the grandson was playing a game that night for the Lawrenceburg high school football team (and from the glow in his eyes, he really didn't disagree). They won the game by the way.

My wife said, "That's a really nice man, how do you know him?". I told her Bardstown is probably one of the friendliest places around (Other than Omaha). And I then told her, "besides, everybody knows Jimmy Russell's grandson is the quarterback for Lawrenceburgs football team."

And if I could only remember what LeNell's tats said. They were very cool.....maybe I was distracted by their location. Anyway, it was good to visit with her, Julian, Preston, Mitch, Bill Friel, Mike Miller and so many others.

Randy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.