Four Roses Does First "Custom" Bottling

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses has done its first custom bottling for a retailer, the Party Source in Bellevue, Kentucky (just across the river from Cincinnati). This is similar to the Buffalo Trace program, i.e., in return for buying the contents of a whole barrel, the retailer gets to pick the barrel. It's in the Four Roses Single Barrel packaging and is the same mash bill, the 35% rye one, and the same age, but the yeast is different. Nice wrinkle, since that's something BT can't do. According to Party Source, this is the first-ever private bottling of Four Roses. Same price as the regular Single Barrel at $28.99.

I've been there several times. They have a pretty big bourbon selection as I recall. Alas, the last time I was there was before I really got into whiskey. Looks like another side trip might be in order in the near future! Tasting special bottlings is a tough job, but someone has to do it. Just hope they don't sell out before I can get some!

This is good news, it must mean that Four Roses' inventory is growing and more issues and areas will be expanding.

No Four Roses here...damit! Does the Party Source ship?

Sadly, I don't think they do, unless the business has changed since I was last there (admittedly some time ago).

Sadly, I don't think they do, unless the business has changed since I was last there (admittedly some time ago).

Shipping to and from Kentucky is illegal, unfortunately.

Bastards. Just b/c I live out on the left coast.

Anyone here want to be my newest, bestest friend and ship me a bottle?

In return I can send you a bottle bleached annorexic beach blond w/ 1/2 a brain or if a lady would like, I can ship a meat head poser surfer who mutters "Dude, that's so totally gnarly" alot. I'd prefer to ship a woman b/c they're a lot cheaper due to weight and I wouldn't have to pack much food or water for the last class postage.

Heck, I may even do a 2-for-1 deal, help me clean up my beaches!

LMAOF Phischy!

FWIW, we don't care how they do it in Cali! But thanks for the suggestion!

(kicking myself for not picking up the 4 Roses small batch when I had the chance)

• 4 weeks later...

I need some help!

I have a Four Roses' collection that includes 8 different labels.

I am 2 short to complete this collection.

1; the Rutledge 40th, I have a line on and I am sure I can get it.

2; the Party Source special bottling I can't seem to get.

If anyone in the area can get me 1 or maybe even 2, I will be indebted to you.

I am driving down to KY in late Oct or early Nov and I can pick it up at your place or where-ever at your convienance.

I can pay you or pick up a bottle or 2 of your favorite at the Liquor Barn to swap.

Or post it up to me, your call.

PM me if you can help.

Thanks a million!

Oscar

Anybody try to get some of this during the KBF?

I got a chance to taste it at Four Roses. It is VERY good.

Joe :usflag:

If we're talking the barrel proof 40th, there were 10 barrels released for 1440 bottles or about 144 bottles per barrel. The angels won this one.

If anyone in the area can get me,...

Oscar

ThomasH clued me in.

At his suggestion, I called Jay at Party Source.

I got two bottles on hold. Jay is on top of the game.

It would be worth your while to check out his place or at least get on their e-mail list.

Like Chuck said in another thread, "Jay gets it."

No, we are talking about the Party Source custom bottling.

O.K.....I picked up a few of these on my way down to the festival. Didn't open any yet. Supposed to be made with the "O" (fruity) yeast, I'm told.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight I finally got a chance to put a standard-issue 4RSB side-by-side with the Party Source version.

First, they're both really, really good. Sooooo good. This is such a terrific bottle of bourbon. I just love it. It's got spice, it's got char, it's got candy sweetness. Just on the candy side I get Cinnamon Red Hots, Root Beer Barrels and Black Licorice at different times. The char is char, almost sooty, yet everything is balanced. Soooo good.

To quote Mr. T, I pity the poor fool that can't get Four Roses. Happily, the number of places that can is expanding, and now does or will shortly include Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Metro New York and New Jersey. (Although I did hear a disturbing rumor that Illinois is getting Single Barrel and Small Batch but not the standard Yellow Label. If I can't have it all those would be the ones I want, but I want it all.)

Are they different, the Party Source and the standard? Well, they're single barrels regardless, so they're bound to be different, but the Party Source one does seem to be a little more pungent and in-your-face. It seems to have a little more of everything. To quote Spinal Tap, it goes to 11.

Whether that's attributable to the different yeast or mostly just reflects Jay's taste and what he selected, it's hard to say. I do prefer the Party Source edition.

Tonight I finally got a chance to put a standard-issue 4RSB side-by-side with the Party Source version.

First, they're both really, really good. Sooooo good. This is such a terrific bottle of bourbon. I just love it. It's got spice, it's got char, it's got candy sweetness. Just on the candy side I get Cinnamon Red Hots, Root Beer Barrels and Black Licorice at different times. The char is char, almost sooty, yet everything is balanced. Soooo good.

Are they different, the Party Source and the standard? Well, they're single barrels regardless, so they're bound to be different, but the Party Source one does seem to be a little more pungent and in-your-face. It seems to have a little more of everything. To quote Spinal Tap, it goes to 11.

Whether that's attributable to the different yeast or mostly just reflects Jay's taste and what he selected, it's hard to say. I do prefer the Party Source edition.

Chuck, I agree with most of your observations. FR products are outstanding and deserve much wider distribution. My side-by-side comparison did not show much difference between the Party Source bottle and the standard and so I am unable to pick a "favorite". This could easily be due to the variation in the "standard" SB bottle used as a comparison.

I hope more and more SBers will be able to enjoy Jim Rutledge's creations soon!

I have a bottle of each on the way thanks to a generous member of this board, and I cant wait to do a side by side with them!

Scott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.