2007 George T. Stagg -- HazMat IV

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For those of you who missed it, bottling of the 2007 George T. Stagg is underway at Buffalo Trace.

This year's bottling, the eighth in the series, is the highest proof of them all, at a whopping 144.8 proof! HazMat IV aged for 15 years, 6 months, in Warehouse I.

144.8 proof:bigeyes: I think I'll probably have to add water to this years Stagg. 141.2 at times edges past my comfort zone. Only time will tell.

Phew! That's some powerful stuff. I like a strong whiskey, but I agree that some water will probably be in order. Still looking forward to it, though!

I'm a little new to Stagg, so can someone enlighten me... about when each year do the bottles start appearing on store shelves?

a whopping 144.8 proof!

Wooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo! :woohoo:

It does sound like an add-some-water-before-drinking pour, but I've not had a problem with sipping Hazmats II and III neat. Sounds like it's going to be quite a ride!

about when each year do the bottles start appearing on store shelves?

It depends on your location. I don't see them in Chicagoland until November or thereabouts.

Good deal! I'm looking forward to getting these when the first come out vs. waiting a year and paying inflated 'rare' prices!

YES!!!!! The stronger the better. I haven't even finished my last bottle. Better pick up the pace.

I remember the exact day my BTAC 06 bottles were shipped from Binnys: it was Oct. 30th. I wanted to be sure and get them in time for my birthday!

Thomas

I remember the exact day my BTAC 06 bottles were shipped from Binnys: it was Oct. 30th. I wanted to be sure and get them in time for my birthday!

Thomas

The 30th last year huh....well, I'm going to be in KY mid October. I was hoping that the BTAC would have been released by then. Maybe they will release it a little earlier this year.

The 30th last year huh....well, I'm going to be in KY mid October. I was hoping that the BTAC would have been released by then. Maybe they will release it a little earlier this year.

Greg, you also have to remember, those bottles take a while to get to Chicago, they should hopefully be in KY a while before they go elsewhere....they dont have much of a journey to KY!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything more on this? My local store (same business center where I work) who hasn't had any of the BTAC before got some speel from the local distributor about BT only selling Stagg in Barrel quantities this year. I told them that 99% he was full of shit or they mis understood him, but...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard anything more on this? My local store (same business center where I work) who hasn't had any of the BTAC before got some speel from the local distributor about BT only selling Stagg in Barrel quantities this year. I told them that 99% he was full of shit or they mis understood him, but...

Perhaps he was confused with "barrel proof" and assumed "Barrel Quantities" ?

Russellc

As discussed in this thread, Buffalo Trace and its distributors are not above leveraging the high demand for products such as Stagg to drive other kinds of sales, including single-barrel, whole-barrel, "exclusive" bottlings of things like Elmer T. Lee and Weller 12.

So maybe the guy was confused, but not entirely FOS.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got and email from a buddy in Florence KY and the Stagg has hit the fan...:lol: oops! The shelves.

He said it can be picked up by him tomorrow at noon.

Tony

Who will be the first with tasting/comparison notes re: HazMat IV?

Eagerly awaiting same, here!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little bit I wrote on Sat:

Straight:

a - dark, reddish brown

n - there's some cinnamon in there, the almost typical vanilla, and something almost floral. A bit of water makes this dryer and sweeter

t - it's really hot on the tip of my tongue, not "burning" or unpleasant just very warm; sweet up front

f - a slight bit of sweet tasting char and more cinnamon. No char with a little water

With water:

a - dark, reddish brown with an almost golden tinge

n - It's funny, nosing this unwatered down has no burn but adding water gives it burn!

t - The water makes it a bit spicy with cinnamon and a touch of caramel

f - Sweet, kind of charry

I'm looking forward to tasting notes from people who are good at writing them and to tasting this some more this weekend! They're not really complete, I was going to start a new thread if no one else had started one after tasting some more but since I don't post most of my notes for whatever reason here you go.

Well, I finally procured some 2007 Stagg! It should arrive here Wednesday. I went into my local ABC store and my heart skipped a beat when I saw an Antique Collection bottle. Sadly, no antlers as it was an Eagle Rare 17. I got it anyway and looked online and found the big buck :cool:

I ordered a Rip Van 10/107 as well. I've only had the 15 and 20 year Pappies, and Lot B before. I really wish we didn't have the ABC here.

I have a question? What is the possibility of different bottles of Stagg "2007" tasting very different from each other? Reading Goth's tasters notes, it sounds more like my 2005 bottle. I do understand everyone's tastes are different and we will all get different notes / tastes but I really found my bottle to have a hint of acetone, dark fruit and almost burnt dark chocolate...not finding any cinnamon in my bottle, I know this is all subjective but I'm just wondering if anyone has found in the past, bottle to bottle differences?

I understand they will share the same profile as each other but have you found big differences in any common year? The reason for my question is I have 3 ordered at one store but was going to cut my order due to the fact it is not my favorite year.

So what are your thoughts??

Thanks in advance for your input:grin:

Tony

I have a question? What is the possibility of different bottles of Stagg "2007" tasting very different from each other? Reading Goth's tasters notes, it sounds more like my 2005 bottle. I do understand everyone's tastes are different and we will all get different notes / tastes but I really found my bottle to have a hint of acetone, dark fruit and almost burnt dark chocolate...not finding any cinnamon in my bottle, I know this is all subjective but I'm just wondering if anyone has found in the past, bottle to bottle differences?

I understand they will share the same profile as each other but have you found big differences in any common year? The reason for my question is I have 3 ordered at one store but was going to cut my order due to the fact it is not my favorite year.

So what are your thoughts??

Thanks in advance for your input:grin:

Tony

Haven't tried the 2007 GTs yet; but hope to correct that this weekend....

Part of it may be individual tasting differences / preferences; part of it may be the very high ABV (which, unless diluted, can dull the taste buds); hell, part of it could be the mystique that surrounds GTs... I personally doubt that there is that much variation from bottle to bottle in a given year. From year to year?... YES.

I think that with whiskey this old it is hard to get consistency from bottling to bottling.

Assuming you've given it a fair tasting (several tries over several sessions) and the current GTS is not up to your price / taste /whatever standards then, by all means, let it go. It is still (likely) very good whiskey and someone else will have a go at it.

With most bourbon that I drink there is usually only one flavor that really stands out to me, there are certainly others there but I often have trouble isolating them and in trying to do so I sometimes find myself thinking "nah, that's a bit of a stretch" as I delete what I typed once I find something I think it resembles. The flavor that stands out the most to me differs from year to year with the GTS. IIRC, for 2004 it was vanilla, 2005 an almost floral taste, 2006 chocolate (but, I barely tasted any in any recent snifter of this I've poured :(), the 2007 taste seems to be, at least for me, cinnamon. Even in the few side by sides (The most I've ever done together was only 2) I've done they seem to be pretty consistent to me. Despite these drastically different predominant flavors I think that the overall taste of GTS is pretty similar year to year and that's the reason I continue to buy it.

Thanks Goth! I have a 05" KY only open and the 07" so I'll do a side by side tonight.

Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.