Aberlour a'bunadh

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe he might be asking which Batch you have.

Nice avatar... and I will have to see when I get back to Tucson... I'll add it...

I've heard that batch #22 is already out. On local store shelves one can find batch #18, #19 and #21 (I've read that #21 is the best of these three). I also know of one dusty box of #14.

Okay, I was remembering that wrong. If it had been batch #14, I would have bought it back in late January. It was batch #15.

There is a good discussion about a'bunadh batches here:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6943&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I have a bottle of batch 21 still waiting for me to pour some out. I most likely will around the 4th or earlier. Maybe for the 4th some Van Winkle or Stagg would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice avatar... and I will have to see when I get back to Tucson... I'll add it...

23 for the record..........

• 4 weeks later...

On Emerald's recommendation I purchased some AA today Batch #18... I'm excited to try it!

Hot damn this AA is goooood! It's like the George T Stagg of scotch. The sherry accents are marvelous and the taste is really explosive with a nice smooth burn at the end. I just finished my first dram and I will be having seconds if I can get to the bottle icon12.gif

If you like the Aberlour at cast strength.. I encourage you to track down some Islay malts or Highland Park at cs!

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely be on the lookout for those.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I bought a bottle of Aberlour Abunadah batch #18. Normally I wont be interested because of the heavy sherry taste as was discussed in this thread but heck, lets give it a try. I took a little sip and decided the abv is too high. I put in three teaspon of water which to my calculation should bring the abv down to around 40. I waited a while. Now, the smell came out but not that much. The taste is decidely sherried and fruity. There is a delightful complexity that I am starting to like. Last night was maybe the 5th time I had it. Its a very good single malt. I prefer the peaty kinds but AA is going to be a favorite.

• 1 month later...

I am intrigue by this "batch" numbering system so I went to the Aberlour website. I thought the batch number is the production number of the whisky but its not. They mixed several casks from different production dates and/or different ages to produce the said batch. In theory therefore, they can duplicate any batch of A'bunadah provided that there is enough ingredient leftover from the last vatting. Hopefully, if a particular batch prove to be of excellent taste, via feedback from customers, that they will strive to reproduce it again. Hopefully.

Hopefully, if a particular batch prove to be of excellent taste, via feedback from customers, that they will strive to reproduce it again. Hopefully.

Or, at the very least, avoid the barrels that caused some of the batches in the 15-18 range to be described as "sulphery".

• 1 month later...
Or, at the very least, avoid the barrels that caused some of the batches in the 15-18 range to be described as "sulphery".

I just bought batch #18 and yes, it taste kind of sulphery in there. And I am tasting a bit bitter. Its not like batch #21 and #18 which I like very much.

• 6 months later...

Like cigars, single malts are highly personal. Although I see this string is several years old, I just discovered the Aberlour a’bunadh recently. Apparently a’bunadh, translated from the Celtic, means “original,†a reference to it not being chill-filtered, a modern process that prevents the whisky from clouding when ice or water is added. Whether the chill-filtering process also removes richness and taste is a matter for debate.

I paid $68 for my bottle, batch #9, and I was delighted. I heated a brandy snifter and poured a healthy six ounces to enjoy with an afternoon cigar, and the a’bunadh had me blissfully buoyant in no time. By far the best discovery I’ve made in a single malt in quite some time. I highly recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I'm considering going to Binny's and picking up a bottle of this whiskey. I just enjoyed finishing a bottle of sherry wine and was looking for another scotch.

I have DALMORE 12 Year (C+ grade) and

HIGHLAND PARK 12 Year (A grade) (those are my grades on how much I like them)

So this obviously interests me. I'm reading "batch numbers". I'm not a BIG spirits guy. So I'm not at all greatly familiar with terms and batches and such. ANyone know what batch Binny's sells? I see from this thread they recommend 21. I should go there tomorrow.

Dont worry about the batches, earlier ones were scored better by critics, but I have had a'bunadh from 4 different batches and all have been delightful. You may or may not need to add some water, it is high octane! I would recommend one sip with no water to feel its intensity. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Picked up Batch 23 tonight. Very nice, agree - lots of sherry but not overpowering. Very good whiskey and would strongly recommend.

TJ

I have a 23 as well. Loads of sherry. This is my favorite Scotch !!!!:cool:

• 2 months later...

Aberlour a'bunadh, my first.....in a word...wonderful.

A most pleasing scotch...similar to MacCallan....a wonderful mouth feel, especially considering its high proof....very interesting flavors develop and reserving a small amount in your mouth...letting it heat up...delicious.

Intersting bottle design...not your typical scotch bottle..more like a Makers Mark bottle...wax seal and all.

Aberlour a'bunadh, my first.....in a word...wonderful.

A most pleasing scotch...similar to MacCallan....a wonderful mouth feel, especially considering its high proof....very interesting flavors develop and reserving a small amount in your mouth...letting it heat up...delicious.

Intersting bottle design...not your typical scotch bottle..more like a Makers Mark bottle...wax seal and all.

Spot on observations, Jono. I picked up my first bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh yesterday (batch #11, so it's an older one) and it was delicious. Although quite sherried (which I happen to like), I was pleased by the many other flavors that developed with each sip, and the mouth-feel is nothing short of luxurious. As you mentioned, there is certainly a similarity to Macallan, so I'm off to score a Macallan Cask Strength today to see how it matches up to the high octane of the A'bunadh. It never ends!

• 2 weeks later...

My bottle is from Batch 23 and it lists 60.2% abv......not quite Stagg territory but still very high proof....and so drinkable..neat! Amazing that the alcohol does not have the same mouth numbing effect that Stagg produces at roughly 10% higher abv....quite a nice find...thanks to all to who wrote of it before which led me to try it.

After trying a bottle of batch #12 that my parents had stashed away over thanksgiving, I decided this was a scotch that I'd have to have a bottle of. I was able to get a #23, and I'm glad I did. it's an entirely different creature than the batch #12 I tried, and I don't visit it very often, but it is nice to have when I do want a sip or two of scotch.

After trying a bottle of batch #12 that my parents had stashed away over thanksgiving, I decided this was a scotch that I'd have to have a bottle of. I was able to get a #23, and I'm glad I did. it's an entirely different creature than the batch #12 I tried, and I don't visit it very often, but it is nice to have when I do want a sip or two of scotch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.