Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel?

jimibourbonhammered
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be able to get these two in a couple days. I wondered if I should concentrate on one or the other. I think I'll get 2 of each since it may be a year before I can get back to the area. Any thoughts? Comparisons? Is it just hype from limited availability or truly great whisky?

OK, 2 of each it is!

Good call. You really can't go wrong at the price. These are great gifts too, as they're only available in Kentucky and Japan. These are what I send to friends in California for Xmas gifts.

...they're only available in Kentucky and Japan...

No longer true, though still not universal. Four Roses is currently available domestically in, at least, New Jersey-NYC area, Chicago area, and Tennessee, as well as KY. Texas is on the horizon, if it hasn't arrived there yet.

Got mine in Tennessee, but Texas would be closer. I get to Dallas about 3 or 4 times a year.

Got mine in Tennessee, but Texas would be closer. I get to Dallas about 3 or 4 times a year.

Where in Tennessee? I am mostly around the western side of the state but have never seen Four Roses of any type on any shelf. Been in Nashville a few times this year and cannot recall seeing any there either.

Where in Tennessee? I am mostly around the western side of the state but have never seen Four Roses of any type on any shelf. Been in Nashville a few times this year and cannot recall seeing any there either.

Four Roses appeared in Middle Tennessee about a month ago. Reports are that it's in Chattanooga, too. Awaiting status for your area, West Tennessee.

I had a bottle of the small batch. I quite enjoyed it. Here at liquor barn at $21 for 750ml it's a bargain. I feel so blessed.

Just picked up a bottle at Hollywood Liquors in North KY for about 25.99. It came with 2 nifty low ball glasses. My wife didn't know it but she just got me an early Christmas gift! They also had the small batch with glasses for about 5 or 6 bucks less. My first FR product tasted and very good. I am enjoying some now.

Franklin, south of Nashville. Red Dog Wine and Spirits. Bard Quillman runs the place. A really nice guy. Amazing selection of Bourbon, Scotch and Beer. I also got an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2005. He has all the BTAC and Pappy 23yo available too.

Franklin, south of Nashville. Red Dog Wine and Spirits. Bard Quillman runs the place. A really nice guy. Amazing selection of Bourbon, Scotch and Beer. I also got an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2005. He has all the BTAC and Pappy 23yo available too.

Great store, near me. Bard and I have bent an elbow together once or thrice. One of the best places for whisk(e)y, in general, in Middle Tennessee -- whether bourbon, Scotch, Irish or other.

Bard and I have bent an elbow together once or thrice.

You arm wrestled? :grin:

I'd heard 'rasslin was popular in Memphis, but didn't know about this mid-state thing.

I'd rather drink bourbon, myself. That way, if you land on the floor it's nobody's doin' but your own.

Roger

You arm wrestled? :grin:

I'd heard 'rasslin was popular in Memphis, but didn't know about this mid-state thing.

I'd rather drink bourbon, myself. That way, if you land on the floor it's nobody's doin' but your own.

Roger

More like tug-o'-war, Roger -- I tug on whiskey bottles while Bard tugs at my money:lol: .

Tim, I try to get to your neck of the woods once or twice a year. I've scoped out areas that seem to have a proprietor that has a passion for the good stuff and give them my business. Funny where you find them sometimes, but rewarding and I don't mind the travel time.

Tim, I try to get to your neck of the woods once or twice a year. I've scoped out areas that seem to have a proprietor that has a passion for the good stuff and give them my business. Funny where you find them sometimes, but rewarding and I don't mind the travel time.

Try Terry Boatwright at Oasis Wine & Spirits in Columbia -- and, while you're there, give me a call -- he's about 3/4-mile from me. I've 'eddy-cated' him, and he has the pipeline to supply some of the 'toughies'. We call that win-win.

Old Lamplighter,

I found Four Roses well stocked last week at Thompson's Liquors in New Johnsonville. Since you are in Hardeman County it is about 96 miles from Bolivar to New Johnsonville. I am sure that since it has made it to West Tennessee that you can probably find it closer if you call around. If not, it would be worth the drive. What I bought would have been.

Good Luck!

Old Lamplighter,

I found Four Roses well stocked last week at Thompson's Liquors in New Johnsonville. Since you are in Hardeman County it is about 96 miles from Bolivar to New Johnsonville. I am sure that since it has made it to West Tennessee that you can probably find it closer if you call around. If not, it would be worth the drive. What I bought would have been.

Good Luck!

Thanks Tracy! I will be checking around in Jackson this weekend to see if I can find it in one of several stores there. If not, I may consider a drive up to Thompson's before Christmas arrives. I think I've been there once in the past or another one up that way somewhere. Want a bottle on hand for the holidays and guests......if I ain't too selfish with it! Appreciate your help.....thanks again.

Does anybody know if Four Roses has made it to the Knoxville area? I'm heading there soon and would love to turn my friends on to the SB (myself, too).

Thanks for any info.

Cheers!

Does anybody know if Four Roses has made it to the Knoxville area? I'm heading there soon and would love to turn my friends on to the SB (myself, too).

Thanks for any info.

Cheers!

Yes, it has, Luna. I was there just this past week, and saw it at McScrooge's. SB, SmB, and Yellow Label. They also have the BTAC, but you have to ask for it. It's in the back. I think they limit the number you can get. They have also done a single barrel bottling of Pappy 15 that is absolutely fantastic. You have to ask for this one too, if they still have it. If you need directions, PM me and I'll get them for you.

Cheers!

JOE

Joe my man, thanks a million. Got directions on their website, should be easy to get to from the airport. They don't list any inventory to speak of, but I'm happy to snoop around. Their bourbon special now is ERSB for about thirty bucks, which is between seven and ten bucks more than we pay here in NH (the prices fluctuate a bit here) so I hope the FRSB isn't too high. I haven't tried the PVW or the BTAC so who knows, maybe I'll come back with a little sampler.

Thanks again, that info made my night.

Cheers!

Luna,

Don't pass up the Pappy Van Winkle 15. If they keep stuff in the back, ask if they have a 20 or 23 year old Pappy. You will NEVER regret it.

The 23 is pricey at about $260.00 per but there are only a little over 3000 bottles in the 2007 bottling. My 23 is paitiently waiting under the Christmas tree. :)

Luna,

Don't pass up the Pappy Van Winkle 15. If they keep stuff in the back, ask if they have a 20 or 23 year old Pappy. You will NEVER regret it.

The 23 is pricey at about $260.00 per but there are only a little over 3000 bottles in the 2007 bottling. My 23 is paitiently waiting under the Christmas tree. :)

:lol: LOL. Preachin' to the choir, Tracy, around here.

Tim,

Yeah I know but since he said he had never tried PVW I thought I would recommend it. :)

I have had Bourbon from time to time for years but it was never anything that impressed me or left an impression on me. Only recently have I discovered that there are some REALLY GREAT bourbons. Hence my quest to try as many as I can and learn as much about Bourbon as I can.

So far, I can count on one hand those that I would recommend. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.