Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel?

jimibourbonhammered
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Luna,

Don't pass up the Pappy Van Winkle 15. If they keep stuff in the back, ask if they have a 20 or 23 year old Pappy. You will NEVER regret it.

The 23 is pricey at about $260.00 per but there are only a little over 3000 bottles in the 2007 bottling. My 23 is paitiently waiting under the Christmas tree. :)

Thanks for the tip, Tracy. The PVW line has intrigued me since I started hearing about it on SB. Don't have it up here so I've not had the chance to try it yet. Might be time for an advance Christmas gift...

I'll be in Knoxville a couple of times next week and will be sure to stop in and snoop around, can't wait. The FRSB is a given, but maybe I'll have room in the suitcase for another one.

Thanks again, guys.

Cheers!

So far, I can count on one hand those that I would recommend. :)

Tracy,

You need to hang out with certain other Tennesseans with whose collections you'd be hard-pressed to find a handsworth of bourbons you _wouldn't_ recommend. The Four Grain may make one finger, but is there a second???

Roger

Roger,

From what I "hear" I need to make a trip to your place and sample you many open bottles. :)

Since recently discovering that there are great Bourbons out there, I have only tried a handful upon recommendations and so far I have to recommend them ALL. :)

I really am a newbie to all this because I do not understand your question so I cannot answer even though it appears to be rhetorical. Care to explain to this novice?

Since recently discovering that there are great Bourbons out there, I have only tried a handful upon recommendations and so far I have to recommend them all

I'm in pretty much the same boat, there's so much to explore. Here in NH we have a very limited selection of top shelf bourbons, and I find myself jonesin' for stuff I've only read about here. Like a virtual junkie (emphasis on virtual). Some I've been able to try and fell in love with (FRSB, EC12, EC18), some I've read raves about and discovered I didn't like at all (WTRB). There have been a few bottles I've investigated on my own that have proven to be stellar (i.e. ERSB 10).

One thing I value very highly on this forum is the simple act of sharing one's love and enthusiasm for something so freely. It makes the process of discovery very engaging and gratifying indeed.

Tracy, you've got access to some mighty good whiskies down there in the great state of Tennessee. As a fellow newbie I hope you'll share your discoveries with us, I plan on doing the same.

Cheers!

Tracy, you've got access to some mighty good whiskies down there in the great state of Tennessee. As a fellow newbie I hope you'll share your discoveries with us, I plan on doing the same.

Cheers!

I am thinkimg about taking a trip to Kentucky after the first of the year and doing a little dicovering on my own.

Absolutely,

I am going to Nashville today to try and find the BTAC. If you want anything reply by 8:00 am or call me at 731-571-1481.

Hope you made it back with some BTAC. Have you tried the FRSB yet?

Looks like I'll definitely be snagging some tomorrow when I get to Knoxville.

Might try to grab a Van Winkle, not sure if I want to fly with too much expensive bourbon. I've had things stolen from my suitcases before, would hate to see a dream bottle wind up in the wrong hands.

Cheers!

I did well. I found several bottles of the entire collection. In only two stops. It would have been only one stop if I had went to the second store first.

When I walked into the first store, I asked if they had the collection. He replied that what he had not already sold was being held in the back for customers.

When I returned to the counter after looking around and placed a bottle of Eagel Rare 17 on the counter, he harshly asked me where I got that. I told him off of your Bourbon shelf. He said some employee had put it out by mistake and repled that I guess I will have to sell it to you to which I repied, "I guess you will and thank your employee for me sir."

:)

I have about 1/2 bottle of the FRSB left, It is good. If I can get my wife to stop using it in egg nog, it may be around for a while. I heard a rumor that one of our instructors that lives in Lexington, KY is bringing me another bottle to the annual Christmas party.

I did well. I found several bottles of the entire collection. In only two stops. It would have been only one stop if I had went to the second store first.

When I walked into the first store, I asked if they had the collection. He replied that what he had not already sold was being held in the back for customers.

When I returned to the counter after looking around and placed a bottle of Eagel Rare 17 on the counter, he harshly asked me where I got that. I told him off of your Bourbon shelf. He said some employee had put it out by mistake and repled that I guess I will have to sell it to you to which I repied, "I guess you will and thank your employee for me sir."

:)

Mr. Whiskers, Midtown, Frugal McDoogal's. Right?

Nice when a mistake results in a gain for the consumer for a change, huh? That's great. Wish I could get the various expressions of ER up here, but settling for the SB10 is no sacrifice. Glad you found what you were looking for, here's to ya.

Cheers!

PS- Ask your wife politely to use some ERSB10 in the nog, it's great. Save the FR for sippin'.

What the hell kind of non-personable idiot is this? You say " Sorry, it's sold out" or some such thing. Why the hell would he even say he had some if he wasn't gonna sell it to you? And then to be harsh to a customer when he finds something on the shelf that he thought wasn't there...?

Mr. Whiskers, Midtown, Frugal McDoogal's. Right?

Actually, first stop was Dicount Liquor and wines on West End ave. and then Grande Crue Fine wines on (8th I think).

Are you in Nashville?

Grande Crue is primarily a wine seller with a small selection of Bourbon in a corner. What the did have was higher end stuff.

Actually, first stop was Dicount Liquor and wines on West End ave. and then Grande Crue Fine wines on (8th I think).

Are you in Nashville?

Grande Crue is primarily a wine seller with a small selection of Bourbon in a corner. What the did have was higher end stuff.

Well, I know West End, and am not impressed. Grand Cru is new to me, though I'd point you toward Nashville Wine -- next to Kroger in Belle Meade, in an off-the-street strip mall -- for an exceptional array or reasonable red Burgundy.

Frugal gets the only BTEC to Tennessee (unless you can arrange a direct distribution:grin:) -- I saw the Cabernet Franc-finished whiskey there recently.

Mr. Whiskers has some goodies soon to be extinct.

Maybe it will make its way to Memphis soon. The manager at Busters' has my card and is supposed to call when they have a supply.

Squire

Got back from Knoxville last night with two bottles of Four Roses, the SB and the small batch. I got to compare the two while visiting with friends and both were really, really fine. Seemed like the SB was the preferred pour by a slight margin. We noted that there was just a little more character in the SB. The small batch sure is good, though, very refined and a bit more subtle. Love them both.

In any case, very happy to be home with some good hooch!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I know West End, and am not impressed. Grand Cru is new to me, though I'd point you toward Nashville Wine -- next to Kroger in Belle Meade, in an off-the-street strip mall -- for an exceptional array or reasonable red Burgundy.

Frugal gets the only BTEC to Tennessee (unless you can arrange a direct distribution:grin:) -- I saw the Cabernet Franc-finished whiskey there recently.

Mr. Whiskers has some goodies soon to be extinct.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I am sorry I have not responded sooner. I have very recently moved my father into my home as he is in End Stage Congestive Heart Failure. Our time is no longer our own and he needs our time the most. There are several threads here I want to participate in when time allows.

I may be in Nashville this weekend if it works out and I will try to check out Nashville Wine. I have passed it a dozen times in the last few months and never seem to have time to stop. I have heard a lot about Mr. Whiskers and I will have to pay them a visit as well.

As far as Grand Cru, they are primarily a wine shop that I just happened upon. They are on 8th in the short run between 440 and Westend. They have a small corner for Bourbon and it was all premium brands. I got everything in the BTAC except the Eagle Rare 17. I had to leave before It got out of hand.

The BTEC is on my list and I am trying not to impose on my Lexington Connection too often. :)

Thanks again for the info. I do APPRECIATE your help and guidance.

Maybe it will make its way to Memphis soon. The manager at Busters' has my card and is supposed to call when they have a supply.

Squire

I've been by there a couple of times during the holiday season and did not see it there yet. Hopefully soon. I had hoped to have some for Christmastime. Oh well, something to look forward to in 2008!

I was just at FR a week ago, only live about 15 miles from the distillery. Didn't realize that they had limited distribution (VERY new to bourbon) or how lucky we are here in Central KY to have FR so available (bought a friend a gift pack of the SB with a Manhattan glass for about 20 bucks).

The tour guide rattled off all the places that they are distributing now... wish I had paid more attention now. He did mention that FR is distributed in KY and upstate NY, with new distribution in parts of TN (seems like he mentioned Chatt. and Knoxville). Said that they would be spreading to other places in the near future.

Glad to hear that it is becoming more popular and well known, it really is a fine tasting bourbon. I like the small batch, myself. Was at Malones steakhouse in Lexington on Monday and had a Manhattan made with 4R... very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I very much look forward to buying some here in Wisconsin in 2008. I tapped Mr. Rutledge on the shoulder and he told me himself. That will save me the trip to Chicago for some mellow.

You guys in the Nashville area really need to carpool up to Louisville if you want 4RSB. Right at $29 a bottle, and no shortage of the SB either... and while you ar ethere (Liquor Barn, Fern Valley) get a few bottles of Very Rare Old heaven Hill ...they have it in the 100 proof section...just turn around when you are looking at the premium stuff. It's what, 2 hours drive? If I knew that there was a better deal in Bowling Green, I'd let you in on it, but the place off exit 22 near the mall is pretty pricey.

Closer to three hours, but you could make a day of it: hit a couple of distilleries, take a cave tour, stop in the Schmidt Museum of Coca-Cola Memorabilia.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.