Micro / Craft Distilleries

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck had mentioned this place awhile back and that thread is now locked. This does look interesting. I'm really enjoying what these Micro Distilleries have to offer so far. For the most part anyway.

Woodstone Creek.

"Don started his distillation enterprise making 5-grain bourbon and single malt whisky which will age while other products make their debut. Other planned products include blended whisky, dark rum, gin and a distilled beer specialty product. The vodka began distribution to Cincinnati state stores this past October. The pair needed the vodka to produce income because the bourbon and whisky may take several more years to mature. Woodstone's website shows the labels of the other spirits: http://www.woodstonecreek.com."

Click the link below for the labels...

http://www2.eos.net/beerwine/spirits.html

I don't know if it is. I'd love to try it though. I've tried a few different Micro Distillery products and some have been good, some have been bad. Hopefully, these will be good.

I'll email the guy and see what he says about distribution.

Yeah...nothing but vodka at this time. Oh well. Here's his response.

"Mark,

Woodstone Creek Vodka, is our only spirit currently on the market and is sold in Kentucky (Try The Party Source in Newport, KY thepartysource.com) and Ohio. It just won a Silver Medal with 88 points "Highly Recommended" in The Beverage Testing Institue's 2007 International Rieview of Spirits. I am proud to say that we were ranked higher than some Vodka's from Russia & Poland.

We also have ports containg our distilled grape spirits for sale from our

tasting room.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

Donald R Outterson, Master Distiller"

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting...might have to order one of these for the hell of it...

"Jim Nielsen at Jim's Liquors also handles the Monterey Rye Spirits kit for C&C Shine. It is the equivalent of 10 bottles of rye whiskey that the buyer pours into the dark charred white oak, made-in-Arkansas-barrel that comes with the kit. Just let it sit for six months while it develops the color and complexities of flavors desired."

Article here...

http://www.kingcityrustler.com/main.php?story_id=3416&page=36

And ordering info here...

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1032839#moreinfo

The following sentences just fill me with confidence in the quality of this California product:

"To make the recipe authentic, the men use Kentucky water that has been duplicated by a Monterey County Lab. To that, corn, yeast and sugar is added for the proper fermentation."

The following sentences just fill me with confidence in the quality of this California product:

"To make the recipe authentic, the men use Kentucky water that has been duplicated by a Monterey County Lab. To that, corn, yeast and sugar is added for the proper fermentation."

:lol: Well, that's California for ya! :slappin:

• 8 months later...

On the other board it was stated today that a tasting of the new Woodstone Creek 5 grain bourbon occurred last Thursday in Covington, I would think at Party Source.

This bourbon, long in development, is produced from a microdistillery in Cincinnati that was an outgrowth of a winery.

According to the other board, it is between 4-8 years old and was distilled and barreled at about 107 proof. For bottling it will be 86 proof according to the colorful label, Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon Whiskey. (See Woodstone Creek website for a picture).

I don't know if the product is available at Party Source at this time, people in Kentucky near to the Covington outlet might check on availability.

I'd be interested in taste notes if anyone can find some.

Kudos to the distiller for perservering and bringing out (now or soon I would think) a craft pot-distilled bourbon.

Gary

On the other board it was stated today that a tasting of the new Woodstone Creek 5 grain bourbon occurred last Thursday in Covington

Okay, I just spent ten minutes exploring their website and nowhere do I find a listing of the "five grains".

Obviously, corn, but what are the other five? Rye and malted barley are safe bets, but what about the other two? Wheat? Oats? Millet? Sand?

Are malted barley and grain barley considered separate grains?

The report incidentally is from Mike Veach quoting sources he names.

It's yellow corn, white corn, rye and two types of malted barley.

Gary

The report incidentally is from Mike Veach quoting sources he names.

It's yellow corn, white corn, rye and two types of malted barley.

Gary

They could drop the rye and one of the malted barleys, add popcorn, sweetcorn and Indian corn and call it "Six Grain".

Has any distiller ever claimed to use both yellow and white corn? What possible change would the white corn impart?

We had a discussion some time ago on the board (as I recall) about corn varieties. There are different types, and apparently dent corn is one of the traditional types. I can't recall at the moment if it is yellow or white.

I recall one poster saying that he ate pancakes made from one of the heirloom varieties and it was a revelation...

Corn types in other words would have influenced whiskey palate, and I don't know why Woodstone elected to use both a yellow and white type, perhaps as a nod to history.

Gary

Here is a picture of the first straight bourbon (by my reckoning) to appear from a new company in America since the 1950's:

http://cincinnatilocavore.blogspot.com/2008/08/woodstone-creeks-straight-bourbon.html

Judging by the comments, it seems initial stocks at Party Source sold out and people should call ahead to see if there is more before showing up.

I look forward to the first taste notes.

Judging by the label and also the company's website clearly this is a single barrel bottling, not a mingling of barrels. In reading again what Mike wrote, I think it is clear that the whiskey is somewhere between 4 and 8 years old but NAS on the bottle, so I presume that as the barreles are bottled, they might be e.g., 4 years old, 6, 7, etc., within that range.

This is an important development and I look forward to the first taste notes when they appear.

Gary

I try to keep up with what the craft guys are doing, as it's a very exciting time in that field. You can do the same thing just by visiting ADI Forums from time to time.

With the enthusiasm of youth, a lot of these guys are willing to try anything, and we and they won't know if they've got anything until there's something to taste. Do different corn varieties make a difference? We think not, simply because the majors all use standard U.S. #2 grade and aren't particular much beyond that, but we really don't know. Nobody knows and speculation, even well-informed, will only get you so far.

"Give me something to taste" should be our battle cry.

Well, a new one is in the market now, so let's see what it's like!

Gary

They could drop the rye and one of the malted barleys, add popcorn, sweetcorn and Indian corn and call it "Six Grain".

Yes, this a possibility.

• 9 months later...

The Micro / Craft Distillery bottles are a lot of fun to track down. I just found the Pioneer Whiskey in Lawrence, KS and the Mountain Moonshine in Harper's Ferry, WV. They are both surprisingly good.

post-4644-1448981566402_thumb.jpg

Judging by how much is missing from the bottles it looks like the Stranahan's Colorado is the most "appreciated".

I recently had some Stranahan's Grand Mesa and thought it was really good.

I really like the Stranahan's. That was the first bottle of non bourbon I went looking for. Flying Dog brewery is now in Frederick, MD and they provided the mash to Stranahan's back in CO. I like the beer and wanted to try the whiskey. I've never seen the Grand Mesa. How is it different from the regular?

The Micro / Craft Distillery bottles are a lot of fun to track down. I just found the Pioneer Whiskey in Lawrence, KS and the Mountain Moonshine in Harper's Ferry, WV. They are both surprisingly good.

I included the thumbnail below from your post above.

What is the story on that Weller's Original top shelf right?

I've never heard of it.

post-1534-14489815664478_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.