mighty good

DeWanzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened the Blantons, tonight, so smooth, so good, my good friend tyreem showed up with a bottle of Makers Mark to add to the mix, then my crown royal buddy showed and said the Blantons was almost as smooth as crown and asked for some 7-up to add to the Blantons. ??????? Sometimes I just don't no what the hell is going on? can you folks tell me?!!

This is the best Bourbon myself or Tyreem could ever imagine.

We are in sippen' heaven and still havin fun. Thanks for the GREAT ADVICE!!! it was worth every penny.

signed

DeWanzo

Some people just don't get it. And some people, as much as they refuse to admit it, really just dont like the taste of Whiskey. It's okay, just don't waste the good stuff on them. Get a bottle of something like Old Forrester or Evan Williams black for the folks that want mixed drinks so you dont break the bank, they taste just as well that way (though I must admit I like both neat though), and save the $$$$ (ching-chingy) stuff for the folks who want just whiskey (or at the most just water or ice with it). More for you that way smile.gif.

Tom (Blanton's RAWKS!!) C

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Most people do use mixers when they drink any kind of liquor. It takes a true whiskey fan to drink it straight. Anyone that is used to drinking a very bland blended whiskey is going to think that bourbon is very strong tasting, and they would be right! Bourbon in general and Blanton's in particular has a very powerful even forceful persona. It does not surprize me that your rc friend would want to tone it down a bit. My wife always mixes.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Did you kick his ass out of the house and all the way down the driveway? That's what I would have done. God Almighty!

Tim

No I couldn't bring myself to kick him out, he is really a good friend, just misguided, being a crown royal drinker and all. I have decided that I cannot change the world and he can mix and drink whatever he likes. It must be the Blantons that is making me so mellow. I thank all you guys for recommending all the great Bourbons, I have never drank anything like it. My wife Weezy, told me not to get used to it, so its back to Evan Black until I get rich again.

thanks again

signed

DeWanzo

I know that I was knocked on my ass with the taste of the first Bourbon I tried (the Only whiskeys I had before bourbon were Crown Royal & Bushmills, both quite mellow by comparison) but you get hooked to the flavor and I find myself searching for even bigger tastes which brings a question, Do all the little processes that wild turkey does (barrel at such a low proof and use Really charred barrels) contirbute to a really flavorful whiskey like you would think?? Either Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed is next on my list to get.

Rock On,

TomC

The low barrell proof is a big factor, Makers Mark does it also . Beam and Wild Turkey are supposed to be the only ones using a number 4 char,( the heaviest) but Beam proofs as high as the Goverment will allow. I have a bottle of Knob Creek open now and while it's a good drink I think I'd just as soon pay 14.95 for WT on sale at Rite Aid. I saw KC for 19.99at Liquor Barn and to tell the truth I figured that's about all it's worth. The Blanton,s is a fine drink. I had a relative ask for ginger ale to go with Woodford once and I was offended. That's why they make cheap whiskey. If anyone wants to pay $40. for a fifth and .99 for a 2 liter that's their business , I can't extend that kind of hospitality.

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes Tom every little thing counts when it comes to bourbon. Wild Turkey uses a recipe that is high in rye. Their jug yeast is also a big factor. Both the column still and doubler are all copper. The heavy #4 char in the barrels along with country 'iron-clad' rickhouses and time are also major factors. Jimmiy Russell himself is a major factor. Add 'em all up and you get Wild Turkey.

I happen to like Russell's Reserve better than Rare Breed as I think its taste comes closest to Kentucky Spirit. Russell's Reserve is also less expensive, but in no way is it 'cheap'.

Linn Spencer

Wild Turkey is a heck of a whiskey mill. What impresses me is how good their everyday run is . Open a bottle of 101 and prepare to be impressed. There's nothing about small batch or single barrell there and it can hold it's own against them all. I think someone ( it may be more than one person) at Wild Turkey wants to make a great whiskey, and damned if they don't!

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yessiree Bobby that Wild Turkey is good stuff. Back before the 'small batch' and single barrel bottlings and also when Wild Turkey came only one way at eight years of age and 101 proof it was my favorite bourbon.

Linn Spencer

I think the key to Wild Turkey is that it was a brand before it was a distillery. And it was always premium priced. Back when there were lots of distilleries in Kentucky, Austin Nichols shopped around. They didn't own a distillery, they bought whiskey that suited their specifications. I think it was in the early 70s, after so many distilleries had closed, that they finally bought Boulevard, which is the distillery they still own. Boulevard had long been one of their main suppliers.

The point is that people who owned a distillery were tempted to make as much as they could and sell it anyway they could, they weren't necessarily concentrating on making one brand and making it as good as possible. Also, because Wild Turkey had the courage to hold to its premium pricing when bourbon sales started to decline, they never had to cheapen the product. Many other brands (Old Grand-Dad jumps to mind) panicked and started cutting their price, then their whiskey, which just caused their sales to collapse even faster.

Even today, with WT owning a distillery, they don't sell bulk whiskey or make private label or bargain brands. They make Wild Turkey and that's it. The worst thing they make is their brown label, which I think is 84 proof (that neighborhood). Everything else is great.

Good for Wild Turkey. They've done it right.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

it seems to me you in it to win if you put QUALITY PRODUCT as the #1 priority. hey by the way is the WT distillery close to bardstown. would I be able to get to it during festival time??

all this praise makes me wanna try a bottling even more

hmmm what holiday can i invent to buy a bottle next. . . . . .

Tom (gonna go Turkey huntin') C

It's in Anderson county next to Nelson county I don't know how far it is from Bardstown but I would guess not more than 20 miles . Probably as close as Makers Mark and a little further than Jim Beam. As you go toward Lawenceburg you are heading also toward Versailes and Frankfort. ( Labrot & Graham and Buffalo Trace) . You get to Bardstown and you are in the heart of Bourbon Country.

Bobby Cox

I ran over there last year during the festival. It isn't far. It's closer than Versailles/Frankfort.

Here in Alabama ABC stores, there is an 80-proof Wild Turkey. I have never tried it.

Tim

While I will vote for Rare Breed.

There is a strange flavor in Russell's Reserve that I have tasted before, but I just can't put my finger on it. I don't think it was in a bourbon, though. It is driving me nuts trying to remember what it reminds me of.

Everyone here probably knows that Rare Breed is my very favorite. I wanted to like the RR better (because its a little less expensive), but the RB still tops my list.

Tim

Yes, yes!

While I still love my Elijah Craig 12-yr and Old Forester 100, I am very close to declaring WT 101 as my everyday pour. It has a wonderful flavor and body. It always satisfies me.

Tim

My only complaint with Wild Turkey is thier deceptive marketing. When they changed their 8 year old which for many years was their signature bottling to "unknown years" they kept a large #8 in the middle of thier label, implying that it was the same age. I thought they were one of the classiest bourbons on the market until they pulled that stunt. To this day WT does not indicate the age of their bourbon on their label. In my opinion, they have tarnished their image by such a cheap marketing ploy.

I have had it in bars when nothing better was available. The 80 proof WT is 80 proof WT. Nuff said.

Rare Breed is the best of the W-T line and at $20 plus tax it doesn't get any better than that, except of course for the old STITZEL-WELLER high-end bourbons. LIFE is GOOD!! ------Den Johnson

Agreed. But, I sure wish I could get it for $20. In Alabama ABC, it is $31 plus sales tax.

No Joke! I can't remember if it's 28 or 34 in Ky . I did find the little 50ml bottles of RB for .30 cents less than the WT101. I got all that were on the shelf . 50s aren't the best way to buy it but the larger bottle Rare Breed is almost 2 times as much as WT101 ,I figured some one goofed.

Bobby Cox

damn, $20. . . they want $32 here

I guess life IS good there wink.gif

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's what Rare Breed costs here -> $32. Denny always seems to get the best deals. What's your secret Den?

Linn Spencer

Well, one good deal I have been getting at the ABC is WT101 750 ml at regular price with a 50 ml of RB hanging on the neck for free. I figure that is worth about $2, maybe a little more.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.