80 proof, huh (yeah!), what is it good for?... (Younger members: Google Edwin Starr)

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was trying to up-sell a store customer Saturday at the liquor store from Wild Turkey 80-proof to 101, and she looked at me askance as I attempted to explain that it was actually cheaper after her friend added his own water to bring it to drinking proof. She took the nominally-cheaper 80.

Which got me to wondering, what was the last 80-proof bourbon I drank? I couldn't think of it. I've had 80-proof rye recently (Pikesville and Rittenhouse), mostly in mixed drinks. But, I can't find a single 80-proof bourbon on my shelf (even when I looked in the 'ready-to-drink' closet). So, what was it?

Ironic, isn't it: 80-proof spirits are the basic money-makers for the general distilleries still existing -- and I can't remember the last time I had one!

How about you? What's your 80-proofer?

I.W. Harper 15 yr. 80 from the BHC! I like it as a starter some nights but only as a starter! one drink of something else and you can hang the Harper up! It taste like water after a few stronger samples.

Tony

I know the last 80 proof bourbon I had: 180 month old Jim Beam 1975...a bottle you yourself gifted me, Tim.

I know the last 80 proof bourbon I had: 180 month old Jim Beam 1975...a bottle you yourself gifted me, Tim.

:lol: Well, there you go, Timothy! You got the last of it!

(That's "Edwin Starr", by the way, in the abbreviated title.)

In defense of your customer, I have to say that WT80 is, in my opinion, the best 80 proof whiskey on the market!

(but I agree with you, she should have bought the 101.)

In defense of your customer, I have to say that WT80 is, in my opinion, the best 80 proof whiskey on the market!

Agreed all 'round.

I actually have an open bottle of 80 proof Setter on the shelf. Nothing special for drinking but you can soak fish in it before smoking, and it tastes pretty good. Picked it up because I'd never seen the label before, and it was 8 bucks.

-Mike

Was trying to up-sell a store customer Saturday at the liquor store from Wild Turkey 80-proof to 101, and she looked at me askance as I attempted to explain that it was actually cheaper after her friend added his own water to bring it to drinking proof. She took the nominally-cheaper 80.

Which got me to wondering, what was the last 80-proof bourbon I drank? I couldn't think of it. I've had 80-proof rye recently (Pikesville and Rittenhouse), mostly in mixed drinks. But, I can't find a single 80-proof bourbon on my shelf (even when I looked in the 'ready-to-drink' closet). So, what was it?

Ironic, isn't it: 80-proof spirits are the basic money-makers for the general distilleries still existing -- and I can't remember the last time I had one!

How about you? What's your 80-proofer?

Eighty proof?! I can't remember the last time I drank anything sub-100 proof. :lol:

I have an early 80's Old Fitz Prime that's not too bad. Of course I much prefer the Old Fitz BIB, but when I want something lighter for whatever reason, I reach for the prime.

Aside from the 80 proof OO I had this weekend I think WT80 was the last one I had. I didn't really have a choice since I wasn't in the mood for beer and it was the only bourbon they had at the bar we were at during the summer, I don't think they had any rye either. The WT was decent, I couldn't really complain about it, but the OO wasn't so great. It will probably get another go this weekend but I do not have high hopes for it, unfortunately.

I'm kind of put off by 80 proof stuff although I do own a few bottles in the 80 - 85 proof range. Someday I'll open them but I always find something else I have that I want to try more when I'm thinking about it. The OO was an exception though, it was the only rye I had on hand that I had yet to try so I figured it was time.

I have had some Henry McKenna and Rebel Yell most recently. Nothing to jump up and down about, but I enjoyed them.

:toast:

I did finish off a WT 80 just recently myself Jeff. All roe a bit thin it was ok and better than expected. Still I think Dickel number 8 is a much better whiskey in the 80 proof leagues.

Leif

Last year's bottle of Templeton Rye was the last bottle of 80 proof rye or bourbon I purchased. I have since been in a bar and ordered Turkey and water and gotten the 80 proofer, though that wasn't my intent.

I buy regularly Four Roses, especially since the revamp of the profile, since this particular formulation is not available in a higher proof. If it was I'd buy it in that proof. Same for Pikesville and Overholt.

Other than that, as Tim says, it is just a value matter: why - if you have a choice - buy WT 80 proof when you can buy WT 101 and add a dash of water (for those who do) to bring it to 80? The 101 is clearly the better value. The only reason would be if the profile of the 80 is different and you like it. I am not sure if the 80 is different from the 101 (apart from the proof), but even if it is, it isn't that different, especially since the 101 dropped the 8 years aged statement domestically.

Gary

It's more than a dash of water.

The math is pretty easy: add 250ml of water to a 750ml bottle of 100 proof bourbon and you get a liter of 80 proof. Those are the prices that should be compared.

I generally use 3:1 whiskey to water, or a little less water, when I dilute, which brings 100 proof to about 80.

Gary

It's more than a dash of water.

The math is pretty easy: add 250ml of water to a 750ml bottle of 100 proof bourbon and you get a liter of 80 proof. Those are the prices that should be compared.

I'm splitting hairs here but wouldn't that be 75 proof? I could be wrong.

I'm splitting hairs here but wouldn't that be 75 proof? I could be wrong.

No, I think you're right. Looks like you'd have to add 187.5ml to the bottle.

-Kevin

I buy regularly Four Roses, especially since the revamp of the profile, since this particular formulation is not available in a higher proof. If it was I'd buy it in that proof. Same for Pikesville and Overholt.

Other than that, as Tim says, it is just a value matter: why - if you have a choice - buy WT 80 proof when you can buy WT 101 and add a dash of water (for those who do) to bring it to 80? The 101 is clearly the better value. The only reason would be if the profile of the 80 is different and you like it. I am not sure if the 80 is different from the 101 (apart from the proof), but even if it is, it isn't that different, especially since the 101 dropped the 8 years aged statement domestically.

Gary

Gary,

I was told by Jimmy Russell several years ago that the 80 proof is a mingling of 6,8 and 10yo bourbon, while the 101 contains 8,10 and 12yo. So they are indeed different. I do prefer the 101, but I was weened on WT80 early in my bourbon drinking years, so maybe there is a bit of sentimentality in my affection for the 80 proof:lol:

The 101 is no longer 8 yrs old so it contains younger bourbon. When I was at the Wild Turkey distillery a couple of years ago, I was told that the 80 was 4,6, and 8 and the 101 was 6, 8, and 10. Whatever the fact is, I doubt very much that WT is releasing anything 8 yrs or older without noting that on the bottle.

-Mike

Okay, yes, still some differences even though the 101 has dropped below a stated 8 years, thanks.

Gary

The 101 is no longer 8 yrs old so it contains younger bourbon. When I was at the Wild Turkey distillery a couple of years ago, I was told that the 80 was 4,6, and 8 and the 101 was 6, 8, and 10. Whatever the fact is, I doubt very much that WT is releasing anything 8 yrs or older without noting that on the bottle.

-Mike

I do remember him saying specifically that it contained some 12yo in the mix, as I was on the hut for as much 12yo as I could find and thought that it was a shame that some of it was going into the 101:lol:

Okay, yes, still some differences even though the 101 has dropped below a stated 8 years, thanks.

Gary

Sure, but I would bet that there is still some older whiskey in there, at least my palate thinks so. But to quote my wife, "you're probably wrong Jeff." :lol:

The numbers mentioned have a pleasing progression, but I wonder why not 4-8-12, or 4-6-10 ...; of course too so much depends on how much of each is used. Maybe it is felt this is to some degree arbitrary, and results of each method are as good, I am not sure.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.