80 proof, huh (yeah!), what is it good for?... (Younger members: Google Edwin Starr)

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think you're right Jeff. I seem to recall that the bonded VOB has older whiskey than the other proofs (even though not stated). Probably it is an old practice to give a quality boost to the bonded expression in this way (WT 101 is not a bond as such of course, but broadly speaking the idea would apply here too).

Gary

Maybe it is felt this is to some degree arbitrary, and results of each method are as good, I am not sure.

Gary

And it could be that what he was telling me was the recipe for the last batch bottled, and maybe that changes from batch to batch based on availability and maturity.

I agree. Who really knows and who's to say that it doesn't change from bottling to bottling. I'm willing to trust Jeff's palate as to whether there's some older whiskey in the mix. I remember being surprised because I just figured that the 80 was watered down 101. Evidently not. They're going for a different flavor profile for the two I guess.

-Mike

Maybe, and then too the quanity of each used is so important. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Gary

A few weeks ago at a company party the only bourbon they had was Wild Turkey 80 proof.

At first I was dissapointed but after a few sips on the rocks I was glad that they didn't have anything stronger because, well you know, it was a company party.

And it tasted just fine.

As far as buying an 80 proof bottle, I got a couple of Four Roses yellow labels both the new and old labels a few months ago.

I always felt (I have mentioned this earlier on the board) that Old Fitzgerald Prime was excellent at 80 proof (it might have been 86, memory can play tricks, but I am pretty sure it wasn't 90). Try as I might in the old days, I could never get the same palate by diluting higher proof Old Fitzgeralds to 80. But I think I know why, now, 20 years later: it is because the higher proof expressions, certainly some of them, contained older whiskey. I recall trying this with 1849 for example. True, that used to state an age of 8 years, but I am not sure I'd have noticed that then. I recall there was a bonded Fitzgerald I would add the correct amount of water to to get it to 80 or 86 proof. It never worked but I am sure, now, that the bond contained older whiskey than the standard 80 or 86 Prime.

It wasn't the water I used, in other words, which was good Montreal city water non-fluorinated (it still isn't).

Gary

My favorite 80 proof whiskey.....that's easy. Red Breast 12yo. I don't think I have another 80 proofer open. FYI, Old Fitz Prime also came in 86.8 proof and 7 and 8 yo versions.

Randy

I'm splitting hairs here but wouldn't that be 75 proof? I could be wrong.

Yeah, I had done the math in the other direction and, at the last minute, decided to change it. This works, then:

If you pour out five ounces, or about four pours given our recent discussion, and replace it with water, then you get 80 proof whiskey.

Well, it was either the 86.8 or the 80 but I think actually it was the 80 I liked (7 or 8 years old, the difference would not have been apparent to me then). It had a soft deep taste, very balanced, a taste I enjoy to this day and try to replicate in my home minglings.

I agree that many good Irish whiskies show well at 80 proof.

Gary

I was going to post something to this effect but now I don't have to. Drinking Powers gold label as we speak and I'm reminded yet again how much I like it. Ditto the Redbreast and Bushmills 16 I used to have. Scotch whisky gets all the attention, but when I'm not drinking bourbon, I tend more towards Irish myself.

Well, it was either the 86.8 or the 80 but I think actually it was the 80 I liked (7 or 8 years old, the difference would not have been apparent to me then). It had a soft deep taste, very balanced, a taste I enjoy to this day and try to replicate in my home minglings.

Gary

I have early 80's Prime at both 80 and 90 proof. Both are very drinkable. I'm typically not a big 80 proof fan but the Prime is very nice even at the lower proof. I have one particular 1.75L Old Fitz BIB that's listed as 6 years old. There's no UPC so I put it's bottling late 70's. The color is so dark I have to believe that it's a much older whiskey than the stated 6 years. I've compared it to another 1.75L that I have and there's a definite depth of color not evident in the newer (mid 80's) OFBIB.

I have a recent-ish vintage OF Prime (UPC 88076) at 80 proof and find it be be quite drinkable -- it's the youth of the bourbon (lotta corn) more than the lightness of the alcohol that keeps it simple, but it's a go-to pour when I'm looking for something simple.

Basil Hayden at 80 proof, on the other hand, is simply a waste of good Old Grand Dad...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.