What Should You Start Hoarding Now?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made. When the current stock at retail is gone, that's it. It has been replaced by the Bowman labels so it's still there in that sense, but that brand name has been retired.

Wow... this is news to me. What will happen with the A. Smith Bowman Distillery?

-bk

Nothing much... see Chuck's post below.

• 2 weeks later...

Know the thrust of this thread is bourbon, but thought I would mention - heard today Talisker 18yr is being discontinued. I know its been de-listed in MI. Same thing happened to Caol Ila 18yr. Anybody heard anything different?

TJ

Going back a few posts to Stu's notes on that HH Ultra Deluxe, one of the best glasses of bourbon I ever had was that bourbon infused with some mint Bernadette grew at their place, I think chocolate mint. The drink was soft and velvety on the palate with a delightful slightly smoky and complex minty note. Bring some to Randy Blank's place Stu. I'll have my Houston Blend (all bourbons with some very old rye) and probably a couple of further araks for you to try.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Went by the largest store in west TN a week ago Friday and somebody (or bodies) had almost totally cleaned out their inventory of 09 WLW....only 4 bottles left out of probably 15-20 they had the week after New Years. Can't figure out why though.....is there a shortage on same of which I was not aware? I thought it was fairly plentiful in terms of bottles produced last year(?).

Only a little over 4k bottles of WLW produced.

Smallest bottle run of the BTAC.

Thanks.....not as many as I had thought. I guess "plentiful" was the wrong word since none of the BTAC are really plentiful in the normal sense of the word.

• 3 months later...

weller special reserve & old weller antique are no longer produced?

They are both still produced. The Antique no longer has an age statement, though.

Josh answered your question. Here's a visual for you, left to right: oldest, old and current bottles.

145i0z.jpg

2qu6e76.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hoard Alert!

The last of the Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond made at DSP-354 will be released in late 2012. That's when the DSP-1 era begins. Rittenhouse Rye BIB from DSP-31 is already a rare dusty.

About a year ago, the 80° expression of Rittenhouse Rye went from NAS to 3-years-old (i.e., 36 months), so this is a good time to grab any NAS bottles you may see. They did this to stretch supplies. It could go back to NAS but probably won't for the foreseeable future.

...About a year ago, the 80° expression of Rittenhouse Rye went from NAS to 3-years-old (i.e., 36 months)...

That's interesting. I've had 2 and 3yo Rye samples that were excellent, so that may not be such a bad thing. Still, the 80 proof in a modern whiskey rarely carries a drink neat, for me.

Has anyone been mixing drinks with the 3yo? I would give it the benefit of the doubt until trying it that it could be a good, feisty, choice.

Roger

I was wondering when the Brown-Forman supply would run out. Now I know. I've already started hoarding bottles of the Rittenhouse BIB. Is it true that the Bernheim-produced Rittenhouse is not expected to be nearly as good?

...Is it true that the Bernheim-produced Rittenhouse is not expected to be nearly as good?

Nobody can know, but I haven't seen anybody even guess that.

It may be slightly different, but my tastebuds didn't find a huge change from Bardstown product to their rye being made at Brown Forman. Because of my own tastebuds, I don't hold much truck with the 'Brown Forman recipe' talk, either.

I expect they'll be able to run it how they want it to taste at their own plant in Louisville.

Roger

• 3 months later...

Picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 15 yr today. Last one on the shelf and could not find anymore. Does this count as hoarding?

Picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 15 yr today. Last one on the shelf and could not find anymore. Does this count as hoarding?

Not hoarding just common sense.....anytime you find an out of production whisk(e)y that you like you have to buy it then and there or else assume you won't get the chance to buy it again. I bought 3 when they announced the stoppage and I would have probably put back more, but I consider Ardbeg and Lagavullin acceptable substitutes.

Tom

Tom,

Already knew that Lap 15 was discounted and was kinda shocked to see it on the shlef of this out of the way liquor store in a small community. Went in thinking that they might have some ND ODG or older Taylor. What I found was a pretty big single malt selection, again to my surprise. This was the only "dusty" in the SM category I found and no dusty bourbon.

Not hoarding just common sense.....anytime you find an out of production whisk(e)y that you like you have to buy it then and there or else assume you won't get the chance to buy it again. I bought 3 when they announced the stoppage and I would have probably put back more, but I consider Ardbeg and Lagavullin acceptable substitutes.

I'm sure it has been mentioned already, but the OF Birthday is a good one to pick up when you see it. I really like the 2007, and cannot find it anywhere in my area (San Antonio, TX).

I'm sure it has been mentioned already, but the OF Birthday is a good one to pick up when you see it. I really like the 2007, and cannot find it anywhere in my area (San Antonio, TX).
If you come to Houston, I'll direct you to a store.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by jvanwinkle:

"In the last couple of years, we bottled up a 2-3 year supply of 15, 16 year to sell as 15 year Pappy. We still have some 20 year S/W in barrels to bottle as 20 year."

When it's gone, it's gone. Glad I've been hoarding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.