What Should You Start Hoarding Now?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back in September, I paid $14.99 for a 750 at Toddy's in Bardstown, and Toddy's is usually a little on the high side.

I keep coming back to this very enjoyable bourbon at a good price. Old Fitzgerald BIB $ 18, Boston MA. Maybe I'll get 4 this week. Anyone have that in the bunker?

Surprisingly, I can't find the current Old Fitz BIB release. I can find the SW Old Fitz BIB pretty easily so that's what's in my bunker in large supply.

This is what I bought in the last few days which I will definitely be hoarding in my personal bunker:

Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve 20yrs

George T Stagg (129 proof)

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13yrs

Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve 101 proof

Sazerac 18yrs (Fall '05)

W.L. Weller 7yrs (Stitzel-Weller)

Most of these bottles were pure luck in finding. Right time at the right place...

This is what I bought in the last few days which I will definitely be hoarding in my personal bunker:

Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve 20yrs

George T Stagg (129 proof)

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13yrs

Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve 101 proof

Sazerac 18yrs (Fall '05)

W.L. Weller 7yrs (Stitzel-Weller)

Most of these bottles were pure luck in finding. Right time at the right place...

Those are all great bottles. Good hunting.

• 9 months later...

Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made. When the current stock at retail is gone, that's it. It has been replaced by the Bowman labels so it's still there in that sense, but that brand name has been retired.

Not bourbon but I picked up a few bottles of Tamdhu 10 year

since the Distillery is closing. A while back I grabbed a bottle

of Laphroaig 15 year since it is being replaced by the 18 yr as

of March 2009.

I don't even drink scotch but I like having something that won't

be around for much longer.

Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made. When the current stock at retail is gone, that's it. It has been replaced by the Bowman labels so it's still there in that sense, but that brand name has been retired.

Well, I just bought my first bottle of the 90 proof expression a few months ago. That was fun while it lasted.

I thought that the Bowman labels were only being distributed in Virginia? And is BT still distilling the white dog in Kentucky and sending it to Virginia for third distillation and aging, or will these all be produced in Virginia? And will they return to the original Bowman mashbill (which even HH used when they did the first two distillations), or will future runs be BT Rye Mash No. 1?

I missed some big news somewhere, it seems.

Nothing has been said about any changes in the operations at Bowman.

Bowman hasn't made anything from scratch since 1986, when they closed the original distillery. In Fredericksburg they have no mash cookers or fermenters, just the one small still.

I'm skeptical about the claim that Heaven Hill made something using the Bowman mash bill. Prior to moving to Bernheim in 1999, HH didn't have much flexibility in their distillery to make multiple recipes and they didn't. They made one bourbon recipe, one rye recipe and one corn whiskey recipe.

Yes, the Bowmans are currently only available in Virginia.

I'm skeptical about the claim that Heaven Hill made something using the Bowman mash bill. Prior to moving to Bernheim in 1999, HH didn't have much flexibility in their distillery to make multiple recipes and they didn't. They made one bourbon recipe, one rye recipe and one corn whiskey recipe.

I always wanted to try that as I understand it is a lighter sweeter whiskey..... Oh well :skep:

Time for old weird me to weigh in. I always look for bargains on things that I really like. I recently found Laphroaig 10 for less than $30 and Lagavulin 16 for under $45. I bought them out. I also found that I really like HH ultra Deluxe bourbon. It's an el cheapo so I bought a case of handles for less than one bottle of PVW 23. If you don't like it there's no sense hoarding it, but since I like it, it works for me. I'm taking heed of the EC 18 warnings since that's one of my favorites. I've already stocked up on several FR offerings as that is my favorite distillery. With what I have on hand, and at the current rate of drinking, I'll have to live until I'm 82 to finish it all (which I plan to do!)

Good for you Stu!

Inspired by our tasting of Laphroaig 80's 10 year old I tried the current expression at the bar. I had a healthy pour due to killing the bottle. I gotta tell you man, I cant stand the iodine band aid smoke thing. Thats all your brotha!

Time for old weird me to weigh in. I always look for bargains on things that I really like. I recently found Laphroaig 10 for less than $30 and Lagavulin 16 for under $45. I bought them out. I also found that I really like HH ultra Deluxe bourbon. It's an el cheapo so I bought a case of handles for less than one bottle of PVW 23. If you don't like it there's no sense hoarding it, but since I like it, it works for me. I'm taking heed of the EC 18 warnings since that's one of my favorites. I've already stocked up on several FR offerings as that is my favorite distillery. With what I have on hand, and at the current rate of drinking, I'll have to live until I'm 82 to finish it all (which I plan to do!)

That deluxe is one of my favorites!!:grin: Tasty and cheap, thanks HH.

Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made. When the current stock at retail is gone, that's it.

Forgive my ignorance, but the only VG I've ever seen has a picture of a fox hunt on the label. Is that "The Fox" you are referring to? And what is the standard version then?

I'm taking heed of the EC 18 warnings since that's one of my favorites.

Whoa. Wait a second. Has EC18 been slated for the chopping block?:bigeyes: Now you're freaking me out, Stu. That was my "gateway" bourbon and remains one of my favorites, and I'll be stockpiling if it's going to disappear!

I always look for bargains on things that I really like. I recently found Laphroaig 10 for less than $30 and Lagavulin 16 for under $45.
That's got to qualify as one of the steals of the year, Stu!

:bowdown:

I think I remember Laphroaig scotch. Isn't it a very peat smoked scotch? We have them here for $29 a bottle.

Forgive my ignorance, but the only VG I've ever seen has a picture of a fox hunt on the label. Is that "The Fox" you are referring to? And what is the standard version then?

Both are pictured below. The one with the full color fox hunting scene was iintroduced about 10 years ago and was 90 proof. "The Fox" was our name for it.

The original was 80 proof and though I don't know how long that particular label had been in use, it's as long as I can remember.

post-5-14489816260216_thumb.jpg

post-5-14489816260376_thumb.jpg

Whoa. Wait a second. Has EC18 been slated for the chopping block?:bigeyes: Now you're freaking me out, Stu. That was my "gateway" bourbon and remains one of my favorites, and I'll be stockpiling if it's going to disappear!

Not sure about ec 18 going away. Brett and I just selected 3 different barrels. One was especially good. I'll let ya'll know, if you're curious , the barrel number that I thought was very special... flavor was ridiculous.

If people are speculating that EC 18 is going away because some other brands, at Heaven Hill and elsewhere, have lost their age statements, that would be an incorrect conclusion. The brands that have lost their age statements (or disappeared entirely) have been relatively low-priced and, arguably, under-priced. While EC-18 is moderately priced compared to some other very old bourbons, it was conceived as a super premium product and has always carried a very nice price point. I'm sure it's very profitable for its producer and for everybody that sells it. I haven't heard anything to suggest that EC-18 is in jeopardy nor is it logical that it should be.

Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made...

I'm finding the straightbourbon.com board to be a bad influence. You guys keep coming up with new reasons to sample more stuff and more reasons to buy/bunker more stuff. Since I like Va Gentleman and this was perhaps the first label I ever sipped (Ganddad fixing my cough with bourbon and honey, this was his favorite brand), I had to stockpile both labels. Egads, I'd have never done that if not for this board.

Well that's interesting. I've don't purchase VG as there are other things I like better although the Fox is a decent pour. I will admit though that I'm not impressed with the new Bowman bourbon and rye release's. The nose on the bourbon was unimpressive but the finish was somewhat decent. The rye had a great nose but a mediocre finish. For the price, I certainly expected more.

• 3 weeks later...
Virginia Gentleman, both the standard version and The Fox, are no longer being made. When the current stock at retail is gone, that's it.

I was looking to buy some of the VG but sadly,

on-line sellers cannot ship the 1.75s to me.

Anyone in DC area can get 1.75s at cellar.com

for $22.00 or at calvertwoodley for $16.00.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.