What Should You Start Hoarding Now?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tom,

Happy retirement! I have 8 to 10 years to prepare for that. I'm still working on my bourbon IRA.

Will

• BIBs. I'd bet there won't be any left in a decade -- if it takes that long.
  • Anything 90 proof or higher that doesn't command a premium price (there isn't much in the 80-90-proof range to drop to 80 anymore -- so, I figure 90+ proof is the new 86, ripe for a either a proof reduction or a premium price).

I agree with Tim!

Better start buying Bib's....seems like they are always on the way out. Forester was the most recent to pull it off their label. Most of them are less than $20...even for a handle sometimes. When taking trips to the Ky, I load up with as many as I can.

That's what my wife is afraid of!

in a day Greg I could have that bourbon reordered to get 5 times as much as you have in there... and keep all that other stuff.... think in three dimentions and loose that dead space :D

I will risk the wrath of the wife if I stumble on any stash of ORVW15.

Tom

Uh.....no wrath of the wife....YOU BUY THEM ALL FOR ME!!!!! She knows I'll pay!

Dawn

I guess today is my last day of hording. Having built my bunker/hoard to 301 unopened bottles, the time has come for them to serve their purpose - supplying me with good drinking during my retirement.

As of today, I am officially retired (actually Thursday was my last working day). Tom

Tom, Congratulations on your retirement! If you have 301 unopened bottles, how many open bottles do you have?

-Joe

I guess today is my last day of hording. Having built my bunker/hoard to 301 unopened bottles, the time has come for them to serve their purpose - supplying me with good drinking during my retirement.

As of today, I am officially retired (actually Thursday was my last working day). With a lot of BTAC and ORVW 15, along with scotches from every region and subregion, I ready to begin leaving more bottles on the shelves and start drinking what I have. While I will probably not buy more than 1 bottle of any release in the future, I will risk the wrath of the wife if I stumble on any stash of ORVW15.

Tom

Cheers, try not to drink it all in the first year:slappin: My gf and I are are shooting to retire before 50.

Enjoy,

Now that is impressive. I have about 330 bottles counting the Scotch collection (215/115 scotch-bourbon) and maybe 220 are opened.

Tom

Tom, Congratulations on your retirement! If you have 301 unopened bottles, how many open bottles do you have?

-Joe

I only have about 40 open bottles at time. Of course this is easier to do when you have generous friends with a lot of open bottles to sample <G>

Any guesses on how much longer EC 12 or even plain old WT 101 will be around? We're guessing that EC 12 might remain over time via price hike and proof drop, but if the bourbon that bears Jimmy Russell's name gets dropped to 90 proof, we doubt the WT 101 proof is sacred.

We should probably start hoarding Old Charter 10 yr. We really like it, and it's not on the VA ABC price list. When discontinuation begins, it will be hard for us to stock up at the last minute (already happened to us with ER 101 and OC 12) .

Of the BIBs, Old Fitz and Old Granddad would be our picks for greatest losses in current circulation. Like Old Charter, Old Fitz is hard for us to get.

As for compulsive buying, we have the opposite problem of some folks here. As soon as one of us starts exercising some self discipline regarding a personal favorite in the liquor store, the other says, "No, no, go ahead, let's buy it!"

Any guesses on how much longer EC 12 or even plain old WT 101 will be around? We're guessing that EC 12 might remain over time via price hike and proof drop

I'm sure the same applies to EC 18. Heaven Hill may have a lot of old bourbon on hand, but it has to be a finite quantity. They won't keep selling 18yo 90proof bourbon for $40 (OR price) forever.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see the two 7yo expressions of Weller going NAS, with the SR proof dropping to 80-86 and the Antique to 94-101. Also a price increase. Of course.

Any guesses on how much longer EC 12 or even plain old WT 101 will be around?

Come November (?) the original Heaven Hill Elijah Craig 12 will be done with.

Start hoarding. I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 bottles.

I would not hoard anything. There will always be a good choice of bourbon and rye, and the brands do not vary enough to warrant stocking up on one kind IMO.

Gary

I would not hoard anything. There will always be a good choice of bourbon and rye, and the brands do not vary enough to warrant stocking up on one kind IMO.

We see your point, but if there's a very affordable brand (or brands) that you REALLY like, it still might be worth it, particularly if it's aged significantly. Variety will still be there, but at a much inflated cost. There could come a time when anything over 80 proof and/or five or six years old commands a premium price.

Besides, you're setting yourself up for some fun years down the road by hoarding at least a little. After all, has anyone ever looked at the gazebo offerings and said "(Yawn) That's okay...I'm pretty satisfied with the currently available selections?" As dusties get more rare, bourbon "prospecting" will probably increase significantly.

Sorry, missed this initially-

What's the scoop? Brand deletion? Proof drop? Age statement change? Etc.?

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Is that right?

Did you hear why?

Well, yes and no Dave, since the richness of past years, which I truly appreciate, derived from the plethora of distilleries that existed and (in part) the inherent quality of the distillations of those years.

I like EC 12 (have often spoken highly of it here) but it is not that different IMO from, say, McKenna SB, or Knob Creek, or EWSB.

On the price side I see what you mean and e.g., wish I had bunkered some EW black label when it was 7 years old. On the other hand, there are numerous bourbons in that age range still available, e.g., VOB, Beam Black and so forth.

I don't find the differences that striking which is not to say I do not appreciate the differences that exist, I do.

Gary

Sorry, missed this initially-

What's the scoop? Brand deletion? Proof drop? Age statement change? Etc.?

Fire

November 7, 1996

A day that will live in infamy....

Bettye Jo - Is my mind exaggerating, or did you really tell me that you saw the flames from 10 miles away?

It will no doubt return, maybe earlier than strict calculations from 1999 would suggest since some plants distilled under contract for HH after the fire.

A recent bottle of McKenna SB 10, which would have been made after the fire judging by the label information, had a very HH character (characterised by a slight oiliness, also a maltiness). Distilling it elsewhere than DSP 31 did not affect its character. This encourages me to think that EC 12, if it does in fact absent for a while, will be as good when it returns. (And it has been better and more consistent recently IMO than some years ago).

And so, I see no reason personally to stock up as I said but some people will want to and that's fine, everyone looks at this in their own way.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

This thread inspired me to go buy a case of my favorite bourbon before it is gone. Pappy 20 shall be with me for awhile now and I wont be AS sad when it is off the shelves as SW whisky.

This thread inspired me to go buy a case of my favorite bourbon before it is gone. Pappy 20 shall be with me for awhile now and I wont be sad when it is off the shelves as SW whisky.

V,

do those Pappys come in cases of 6 or 12? And.....way to hoard! That is hoarding on a level previously unreached by most common bourbon nuts. :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Not sure what a case is, but I purchased 12 of them. It definitelyycost me, but I feel it's one of the top whiskies I have ever had and definitely in my top 3 of bourbons.

It's okay, Vange. Everybody gets to that place eventually. I remember how touched I was when Bobby Cox bought his first case of Stagg.

It's safe to cross over into the light.

• 4 months later...

I took a tour of local liquor stores looking for items to stock up on. Here is what I came up with:

AH Hirsch 16 @ $123

Weller Centennial (Frankfort) $31 – 5 bottles

Old Charter Classic 90 @ $24 / $42 (7 750's and 5 1.75’s)

Old Forrester 2006 B-day Bourbon - $33

BTAC (except GTS) 2-3 bottles of each @ $99

In your opinion are any of those worth jumping on at those prices? I am not a big spender or a horder. I don't have anything bunkered and the most expensive bourbon I have ever purchased is ~$30.

Thoughts?

I took a tour of local liquor stores looking for items to stock up on. Here is what I came up with:

AH Hirsch 16 @ $123

Weller Centennial (Frankfort) $31 – 5 bottles

Old Charter Classic 90 @ $24 / $42 (7 750's and 5 1.75’s)

Old Forrester 2006 B-day Bourbon - $33

BTAC (except GTS) 2-3 bottles of each @ $99

In your opinion are any of those worth jumping on at those prices? I am not a big spender or a horder. I don't have anything bunkered and the most expensive bourbon I have ever purchased is ~$30.

Thoughts?

Weller Centennials - not a bad price

Old Charter Classic - If you've never had it, try it

If you are paying $99 for BTAC you're not looking around enough! Toddy's in Bardstown is cheaper than that at $74.99. But you can find it for $59.00 if you look around

As for the Old Forrester I can not comment as I'm not a fan of the OFBB's! The A H Hirsch 16 is good juice but I don't know about $123. I guess if you have the coin and you want to try it go for it. If you don't try it at a friends house.

Tony

I have been reading up on the AHH 16. It seems that all the references are to blue wax, gold wax and gold foil. IIRC the bottle I saw was a dark foil (I want to say a dark blue), but it was definitely foil. Am I loosing my mind?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.