What Should You Start Hoarding Now?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No you probably found the new released Hirsch Select or something like that! It is not A H Hirsch! If it doesn't say A H on the label it's not! If the bottle you found is the Select, I say pass!

Tony

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't know if this is mentioned, but this is what I believe to be a tipping point for new bourbon collectors/hoarders:

http://www.mensjournal.com/investment-bourbons

"Six Aged Bourbons You Should Buy:

A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16-Year

This is the legendary blue chip of bourbon, found for $40 just three years ago, and now selling for around $280. Experts whisper about the possibility of it hitting $500 over the next few years, depending on the bottling.

Eagle Rare 10-Year

This is a solid entry-level investment bourbon made at the venerable Buffalo Trace distillery. It’s widely available right now, but if demand continues unabated, look for a steady upward creep in pricing. About $30.

Wild Turkey Russell’s Reserve 90 Proof

The esteemed 10-year, 101-proof Russell’s Reserve is growing scarce; expect to pay about $75 for it. Get ahead of the curve with the more common 90 proof, now on shelves for around $30.

Old Fitzgerald’s 1849

This lightly wheated bourbon is considered a penny stock among aficionados. Bottles labeled “8 year” are rare, but even the current six-/seven-year blend has a beguiling butterscotch taste that plays well with oak. About $16

Prichard’s Double Barreled Bourbon

Only eight barrels remain, then this acclaimed bottling will dry up for good. This whiskey is aged twice (cask strength, then bottle strength) for 10 and a half years by microdistiller Phil Prichard. About $60.

Pappy Van Winkle’s family reserve 20-Year

Another coveted whiskey, this is an incredibly smooth product of the famed (now, sadly, shuttered) Stitzel-Weller distillery and is highly regarded by bourbonphiles. Around $90, if you can find it."

On my first trip to Toddy's I bought a Rathskeller Rye, Willett's 7 yr, and a Michter's for safe keeping:grin:

I took a tour of local liquor stores looking for items to stock up on. Here is what I came up with:

AH Hirsch 16 @ $123

Weller Centennial (Frankfort) $31 – 5 bottles

Old Charter Classic 90 @ $24 / $42 (7 750's and 5 1.75’s)

Old Forrester 2006 B-day Bourbon - $33

BTAC (except GTS) 2-3 bottles of each @ $99

In your opinion are any of those worth jumping on at those prices? I am not a big spender or a horder. I don't have anything bunkered and the most expensive bourbon I have ever purchased is ~$30.

Thoughts?

I don't know if this is mentioned, but this is what I believe to be a tipping point for new bourbon collectors/hoarders:

This is the legendary blue chip of bourbon, found for $40 just three years ago, and now selling for around $280. Experts whisper about the possibility of it hitting $500 over the next few years, depending on the bottling.

Eagle Rare 10-Year

This is a solid entry-level investment bourbon made at the venerable Buffalo Trace distillery. It’s widely available right now, but if demand continues unabated, look for a steady upward creep in pricing. About $30.

The esteemed 10-year, 101-proof Russell’s Reserve is growing scarce; expect to pay about $75 for it. Get ahead of the curve with the more common 90 proof, now on shelves for around $30.

Old Fitzgerald’s 1849

This lightly wheated bourbon is considered a penny stock among aficionados. Bottles labeled “8 year” are rare, but even the current six-/seven-year blend has a beguiling butterscotch taste that plays well with oak. About $16

Only eight barrels remain, then this acclaimed bottling will dry up for good. This whiskey is aged twice (cask strength, then bottle strength) for 10 and a half years by microdistiller Phil Prichard. About $60.

Another coveted whiskey, this is an incredibly smooth product of the famed (now, sadly, shuttered) Stitzel-Weller distillery and is highly regarded by bourbonphiles. Around $90, if you can find it."

Eagle Rare 10-Year

Old Fitzgerald’s 1849

This lightly wheated bourbon is considered a penny stock among aficionados. Bottles labeled “8 year†are rare, but even the current six-/seven-year blend has a beguiling butterscotch taste that plays well with oak. About $16

Get em fella get em all!

A.H. Hirsch 16 is good but not for the current price! Just not worth it.

Eagle Rare SB 10 yr old - was very good years ago when it was 101 proof but in my opinion the profile changed the proof was lowered and the product suffered. It's hit and miss now.

WT Russell's Reserve 10/90 - Please see my notes on the ER 101!

Old Fitz 1849 - At one time held an 8 year old ager statement and was superior to many whiskey at a greater price! I for one have not tried the current NAS release but if you have had any product after the age statement is gone...it loses something.

Prichard's DB never spent the money after reading many reviews here not a good enough review for me to bite!

Pappy 20 yr old - By far the best on your list still available but also the most expensive on your list. The only one I can agree deserves to be bunkered, nut that's just my opinion!

Welcome to the board and thanks for starting to post, I look forward to you participation in the future!

Tony

Knob Creek - replaced a couple of years ago by 'Jim Beam Small Batch with Port Added' - KC is now almost impossible to find on a shelf.

Is this true? I don't seem to have a problem finding it up here in New York. I don't care for it too much, personally, but a friend of mine is in love with the stuff. If this is true he'd want to know about it.

Is this true? I don't seem to have a problem finding it up here in New York. I don't care for it too much, personally, but a friend of mine is in love with the stuff. If this is true he'd want to know about it.

In Australia where Cam is, yes, it is true.

i have seen a bottle of WT RR 101 on the shelf for well over a year. i bought it's twin last year at the still going price of $39.99....is that still a good price? i almost snagged it when i thought of this thread...instead, nabbed the OGDbib at $14.99

i have seen a bottle of WT RR 101 on the shelf for well over a year. i bought it's twin last year at the still going price of $39.99....is that still a good price?
Not a good price IMO. Some months ago there were some bottles here as low as $19.99, but a couple of weeks ago I paid $25.99. There was a time when I wouldn't pay that much, but it is getting very scarce and I am liking it more and more these days. I'm a cheapskate on a low budget.

Eagle Rare 10-Year

Old Fitzgerald’s 1849

This lightly wheated bourbon is considered a penny stock among aficionados. Bottles labeled “8 year†are rare, but even the current six-/seven-year blend has a beguiling butterscotch taste that plays well with oak. About $16

IMHO, The OF is OK but pedestrian; the Prichards is a complete waste of money.

IMHO, The OF is OK but pedestrian; the Prichards is a complete waste of money.

Agreed.

There's plenty of it sitting on store shelves around here. If there's plenty around hear out in BFE there's plenty to be had elsewhere to.

Not a good price IMO. Some months ago there were some bottles here as low as $19.99, but a couple of weeks ago I paid $25.99. There was a time when I wouldn't pay that much, but it is getting very scarce and I am liking it more and more these days. I'm a cheapskate on a low budget.

how many bottles perhaps still exist of WTRR101?

Get em fella get em all!

A.H. Hirsch 16 is good but not for the current price! Just not worth it.

Eagle Rare SB 10 yr old - was very good years ago when it was 101 proof but in my opinion the profile changed the proof was lowered and the product suffered. It's hit and miss now.

WT Russell's Reserve 10/90 - Please see my notes on the ER 101!

Old Fitz 1849 - At one time held an 8 year old ager statement and was superior to many whiskey at a greater price! I for one have not tried the current NAS release but if you have had any product after the age statement is gone...it loses something.

Prichard's DB never spent the money after reading many reviews here not a good enough review for me to bite!

Pappy 20 yr old - By far the best on your list still available but also the most expensive on your list. The only one I can agree deserves to be bunkered, nut that's just my opinion!

Welcome to the board and thanks for starting to post, I look forward to you participation in the future!

Tony

Thank you for the nice welcome Tony.

The point that I would have liked to make to others' replies is I do not intend to buy those bourbons listed in particular, but rather I was referencing the remainder of the article that was telling the general public that investing/hoarding bourbons might be a good idea (especially with current stock market fluctuations) to turn a profit later. I fully expect there to be even more of a shortage due to people snatching up the bourbon to turn a profit on eBay.

There are a few of the bourbons listed that I would not invest in again, due to the fact that I just don't like them as much as others I have tried. Example Eagle Rare 10 year - I agree. I don't like it.

My price point before thinking more about the article was around $50 max. This article shifted my perspective about what I should be buying now so I can enjoy it years from now.

I have been lucky enough to obtain the last 2 delicious releases of BTEC for $49 each at the store (keeping under my price point).

Up until last week there were 4 bottles of A. H. Hirsch Reserve sitting on the shelf (for years) at my local liquor store that I had passed over many times due to price. After reading the referenced article (and Straightbourbon.com) I picked up 2 at $69.99 and tipped off two other friends to buy the other 2.

The BTAC has also been available (with another shipment coming in next week), and I plan on picking up more Weller and Stagg @ $49/btl.

I really enjoy Bourbon (used to be a Scotch snob), and am now going to be more vigilant in making purchase of bourbon now, rather than paying later.

If I can help any of you out in obtaining some bourbons (PM me - I'm not looking to make a profit, just hope the favor will be returned), there are many on the shelf that never seem to dwindle by me (OFBirthdays 2006 and 2007), and some of the new items such as the Sweet Mash Woodford Reserve.

Cheers.

BR! Awesome, and I agree on the picking up now as it may not be there tomorrow.

I to enjoy grabbing stuff for others so if you are ever looking for something you can not seem to find please feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out!

Again welcome to the board, and try not to use the foul language around here some folks get touchy!! (eBay and Profit) :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers!

TONY

I took a tour of local liquor stores looking for items to stock up on. Here is what I came up with:

AH Hirsch 16 @ $123

Weller Centennial (Frankfort) $31 – 5 bottles

Old Charter Classic 90 @ $24 / $42 (7 750's and 5 1.75’s)

Old Forrester 2006 B-day Bourbon - $33

BTAC (except GTS) 2-3 bottles of each @ $99

In your opinion are any of those worth jumping on at those prices? I am not a big spender or a horder. I don't have anything bunkered and the most expensive bourbon I have ever purchased is ~$30.

Thoughts?

$123 for the Hirsch is probably a pretty good price.

I wouldn't buy Weller Centennial for $31 if I could get Weller 12-year-old for that or less.

That's on the high side for the Charter, but it's being discontinued, so if you want some get it now.

That's high for the BTAC.

Any Lot B?

I was a source for the Men's Journal article, but I wouldn't use it as a buying guide. First, I disagree with most of his recommendations. Second, the basic premise is flawed due to the difficulty of re-sale. Read it for fun, not for practical advice.

I wonder whether Wild Turkey Rare Breed will be around much longer. The replacement of 101 proof Russell's Reserve with the 90 proof version occurred rather recently. Before that I understand that the 8 y/o and 12 y/o 101 were sold in the USA but were changed to export-only. Does that constitute a trend toward less age and lower proof?

If I were still drinking every day, I'd buy an extra bottle of Rare Breed any time I saw it on sale or had a little slack in my budget. IMO if it goes, we'll never see its like again.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I wonder whether Wild Turkey Rare Breed will be around much longer. The replacement of 101 proof Russell's Reserve with the 90 proof version occurred rather recently. Before that I understand that the 8 y/o and 12 y/o 101 were sold in the USA but were changed to export-only. Does that constitue a trend?

If I were still drinking every day, I'd buy an extra bottle of Rare Breed any time I saw it on sale or had a little slack in my budget. IMO if it goes, we'll never see its like again.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

dave, aside from the 'economic downturn' (i can prioritize!), would you say that $40 for the remaining bottle of WT RR 101 in delaware (i think!) is worth it?

here in PA, i noticed, today, that the Rare Breed is going for $30.99...i have a feeling that could be a nice short term investment (it wouldn't last long....):grin:

I think I still have a bottle or two of Russell's Reserve 101. I wouldn't even consider paying $40 for another one. When it's gone, I may miss it, but I'll get by.

OTOH someone new to bourbon might find it worth $40 just for the historical burbo-cred it would provide. "I remember Russell's Reserve as one of the best bourbons around back in 2008. Of course that's almost 30 years ago now. Man, that was great bourbon. Why don't they make anything that good now?" :grin:

I think Rare Breed is a steal at $31. I can't get it for that here in outback Arizona.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Any Lot B?

There are several van winkle bottles around. I know of quite a few Lot B's and 10/107, and at least one of each 15, 20, 23.

I wouldn't know, but I there are still some around.

well one day, maybe $40 will be the steal....

but what would it be, 5000 bottles still around? 500? 50? 5?

if i make a spastic decision soon, it might be, at least in this house (by mid week!),

.5 bottle(s):grin: :rolleyes:

the one bottle i had last year was great...and comparable to the RB...

I've paid more for lesser bourbons (IE: Blanton's), IMHO.

I hear you.

I still cant figure out what is so special about the Blantons gold. I know some people here really love the Blantons. I admit, it is really decent base line stuff. I gotta say tho, is I aint gonna monkey around with any Blantons when I have ANY Van Winkle product available.

I had the RVW Hand Made Bourbon 12 year tonight. Man, that is good stuff. I have had different, but I cant say I have had better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.