What Should You Start Hoarding Now?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

how many bottles perhaps still exist of WTRR101?

I know we got some crazy amount like 5000 bottles (or was it cases?) shipped to Australia, and I was lead to believe that these were the last remaining stocks.

They retailed for $75AU here.

From memory, Hightower grabbed several to bunker, and I was able to grab a few also.

Since this thread has been revived, I'd like to mention again that probably the single best thing to be bunkering now is any whiskey made at DSP-31, the Heaven Hill distillery that was destroyed in November, 1996. A good place to start would be any Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage you can find, 1996 or earlier.

Lately, I've been bunkering Lot B. After reading Chuck's recent mash note (pun intended) and with the hard times that are coming, I want to be prepared.

Coming at this from an extreme noob perspective, so please excuse if it's too laughable...but as far as I'm concerned, I'll happily throw bottle(s) of anything I enjoy into reserve. Heck, I've got multiple bottles of EC12 in the cupboard, among other things at various levels of rarity but nothing too stunning for long-timers here.

I have the money now, the bourbon is a good value now, it's not too likely to go bad any time soon. Who knows what my situation and that of any given bottling will be in a year or three? Maybe I lose my good-paying job and have to restrict my bourbon budget. Maybe a brand I like gets discontinued or modified so it's not as good as it was. Who knows? Makes me happy to have a little bit of cushion built up.

I guess in the final analysis, I'd rather have the extra bourbon on hand vs not being able to get it later (or at least not at a decent cost) and wishing I had.

Went back to my favorite store and found some Willet, all the Pappy's and some Vintage bourbon. I have never been able to afford these offerings so I have kinda browsed over them. However, I am looking for some Christmas presents. I wish I had more details for you.

Oh and I went back and bought that OC12 that I have been eying for a while. It was good... but nothing great.

At the rate Pappy 15 has been selling out and given the rate price keeps rising, load up on all you can. Pappy 20 is still under $100, but for how much longer? ORVW 10 (both 90 & 107) is a very afforable (still under $30). That leaves Lot B. Seems to be plenty now, but I have found some are asking close to $60.

If you have the budget, load up on Pappy 15 & 20. If not, load up on ORVW and Lot B.

My 2 cents.

Jim

I like the idea of bunkering whiskey, scotch, wine, guns, ammo, food, batteries and other consummable items. I've been feeling a rip in the force lately but my wife insists it's flatulence. I think we'll all be very happy that we did this in a very short time.

I've gotten a lot of good leads here on what to stock up on. My current inventory is sitting at the odd number of 699. I keep tryig to hit the magic 700 bottle number but I keep finishing and replenishing at the same rate.

If I keep to a steady drinking rate of 200ml a night, I have enough stashed to last 7 years, 2 months and 2 weeks give or take a week or two. If things get really bad the consumption rate may escalate dramatically.

I can't imagine the horror I'll feel when I emerge from my bunker in 2015 to celebrate my 60th birthday by driving my antique Honda CRV to the liquor store for something to drink only to find Diageo's Pomegranate Flavored Bourbon Coolers (10% ABV) on sale for $59.99. At that point I'll wish I bunkered a whole lot more before the bourbon recession of 2009.

Anyway, thanx for the good tips, I'm on my way to stock up.

...probably the single best thing to be bunkering now is any whiskey made at DSP-31, the Heaven Hill distillery that was destroyed in November, 1996. A good place to start would be any Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage you can find, 1996 or earlier.

I have a lot of ERSB and Weller Antique 107. I seem to drink more of my other bourbons, and don't touch these that often. Aside from trying to keep plenty of these two bourbons around, I'm also trying to finish off a few bottles so I can make more room in my bunker. I don't see these bourbon's going away, at least not for a while, but you never can tell. From what I gather from some of the posts here at SB, stranger things have happened. Joe

Hello,

I cannot believe how much knowledge is available on this site. WOW!!

I have a question. DSP 31 keeps being mentioned. Where on the bottle do you find this info? What do the numbers mean on the bottom of the bottle? Is there a code available?

I enjoy bourbon very much, and I must admit I have been into Single Malt Scotch and blends for quite a while until I discovered bourbon again. I am so glad I did. My scotches are put away and bourbon has taken over. I am trying as many as I can find here in the Central Valley of California. It seems most of the good stuff everyone talks about is available at higher end liquor store or the BevMo "A" stores. Hard to find for me. I spend alot of time online at Binny's, Shopper's Vineyard, and Hitime.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I run into interesting bourbon's I would like to know what to look for and where.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Hello,

I cannot believe how much knowledge is available on this site. WOW!!

I have a question. DSP 31 keeps being mentioned. Where on the bottle do you find this info? What do the numbers mean on the bottom of the bottle? Is there a code available?

I enjoy bourbon very much, and I must admit I have been into Single Malt Scotch and blends for quite a while until I discovered bourbon again. I am so glad I did. My scotches are put away and bourbon has taken over. I am trying as many as I can find here in the Central Valley of California. It seems most of the good stuff everyone talks about is available at higher end liquor store or the BevMo "A" stores. Hard to find for me. I spend alot of time online at Binny's, Shopper's Vineyard, and Hitime.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I run into interesting bourbon's I would like to know what to look for and where.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

At my likker store, I cant get Virgin Bourbon 101 pints and halves anymore. Is that a sign? Also, if you see Canadian Lot # 40, Gooderham and Worts and Pike Creek, The Pike being the best, get some.

My fundamental rule of thumb is that when I buy a bottle and crack it open and really enjoy it, I go back immediately to the store where I found that favored bottle to buy the rest of it on the shelf. I am a firm believer in batch variation, and this of course is an undeniable feature of single barrel bottling. Batch variation is also a significant issue with single malt scotch, IMHO (Talisker 10 yo- used to be great!). These days, I bunker whatever dusties I can find, any and all of BTACs, WT RR 101 and earlier releases of WT RB, favored batches of ETL and any 15 yo or younger SW that I can find.

My most recent purchase was an Eagle Rare 17 2008 release - it's lovely. And the days of its shelf mates are numbered.

SSWC

Lately, I've been bunkering Lot B. After reading Chuck's recent mash note (pun intended) and with the hard times that are coming, I want to be prepared.

I've been away for awhile - Could you point me to it?

• 2 months later...

In light of the Ten High debasement, it is time to start hoarding acceptable straight bourbons under $10.

You can set the price threshold at whatever works for you. Call it what you will: value bourbon, everyday bourbon, table bourbon.

It's cheap bourbon that doesn't suck.

Ten High, Very Old Barton, J.T.S. Brown, Heaven Hill (brand), Ancient Age, Old Crow, Old Taylor.

If you don't drink cheap bourbon, this alert isn't for you. But if you make your whiskey habit affordable in part by tipping a lot of your volume to one or several go-to bottom shelfers, it may be time to stock up.

Remember, this is the stuff you drink Monday-Friday so you can afford to drink Van Winkle on the weekend, so you're going to need a lot of it. A few cases of VOB BIB handles in the basement might save you hundreds of dollars down the road.

Trust me, your wife understands the concept of buying something you don't need in order to save money. She does it all the time.

That said, perhaps this is now not in the right thread. I'll cross post.

I keep coming back to this very enjoyable bourbon at a good price. Old Fitzgerald BIB $ 18, Boston MA. Maybe I'll get 4 this week. Anyone have that in the bunker?

Coming at this from an extreme noob perspective, so please excuse if it's too laughable...but as far as I'm concerned, I'll happily throw bottle(s) of anything I enjoy into reserve. Heck, I've got multiple bottles of EC12 in the cupboard, among other things at various levels of rarity but nothing too stunning for long-timers here.

I have the money now, the bourbon is a good value now, it's not too likely to go bad any time soon. Who knows what my situation and that of any given bottling will be in a year or three? Maybe I lose my good-paying job and have to restrict my bourbon budget. Maybe a brand I like gets discontinued or modified so it's not as good as it was. Who knows? Makes me happy to have a little bit of cushion built up.

I guess in the final analysis, I'd rather have the extra bourbon on hand vs not being able to get it later (or at least not at a decent cost) and wishing I had.

Haze, Nothing wrong with your game plan, especially living in this State (MI). Jenny and the gang are looking to raise revenue (taxes) and alcohol is their favorite target. Already noticed some price bumps amongst some scotch brands and bourbons brands. These are only producers' increases, the new taxes will be coming down the road. I'm stockpiling my favorate brands now just to beat the future price gouging. Saw the same thing happen with scotch.

TJ

I keep coming back to this very enjoyable bourbon at a good price. Old Fitzgerald BIB $ 18, Boston MA. Maybe I'll get 4 this week. Anyone have that in the bunker?

Always one of my favorites. I assume that's $18 for a handle. That's an excellent choice. It's not going away, but it will get more expensive.

Old Fitzgerald BIB $ 18

I wish this was available in my area, or any OF expressions for that matter:hot:.

That seems high but, as I said, it's going up.

Last I saw here in Dallas, it was $35 a handle. $16.99 is what I paid for a 750 ml.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.