A contest of sorts

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Attached are a few pics I snapped recently.

There is no prize, other than getting the news about some new American Whiskey.

Here are the pics.

Can you guess?

1. What City and State

2. Who owns and will operate the equipement

3. What they will likely produce

The first pic is the smaller of two similar vessels that will be used together. The second pic are the reflux towers. The third is the access port to the smaller vessel.

Any takers??

post-51-14489814060862_thumb.jpg

post-51-14489814061246_thumb.jpg

post-51-14489814061622_thumb.jpg

I'll try.

1. Bardstown, KY

2. Kentucky Bourbon Distilleries and/or the Kulveens

3. Bourbon

Okay, lets see how crazy a guess I can come up with

1 Owensboro, Ky

2 Angostura

Okay, so that's not so crazy yet

wait for it

almost there

pretty soon

3 Whiskey in the Irish style

Irish Whiskey, made in Kentucky, by a company from the Caribbean.:lol:

Ed, my first thought echoed Timothy's, but -- knowing your soon-to-be neck of the woods, Tuthilltown in Gardiner, NY, also came to mind.

If the latter, they'll use it to make a wide range of whiskeys and spirits, as they're already doing.

We have the state.

It's Kentucky.

The city remains to be identified.

The style is exactly right. It will be Irish Style Whiskey.

When you get the city, the owner/operators become easier.

Ed

Seems there was an operation being talked about in Paducah, KY, but I don't remember who was involved in it.

And isn't Laura Lee Brown (of Brown-Forman association) invested in a new development in Louisville that will include an operating distillery?

The Paducah operation (actually, nearby Hickman, KY I understand) is a venture of Memphis, TN attorney Ray Jamieson.

Could the Irish-sounding surname of Mr. Jamieson suggest he is setting up plant to make an Irish-type whiskey in addition to the previously announced bourbon? I don't know.

Gary

No Headway yet.

But Tim is closer, regionally, than anyone else.

Well, this is just a guess, but since Buffalo Trace in Frankfort will be releasing a rum soon under the BTEC banner, might this equipment be planned for the Irish-style whiskey mentioned?

Gary

Getting Warmer!!!

BTW: As far as I know, only one other person on this board has knowledge of this info.

This is really really new and all very techy.

I have no guess. However I will comment that although I am enjoying the thread content the Supreme Court has findings against cruel and unusual punishment...

I'll take one more shot at it:

Boston, and Beam.

It's about the only style of whiskey that's currently missing from their portfolio.

What's Dave Pickerell up to these days?:skep:
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Pickerell the former Maker's Mark Master Distiller?

I read here on the boards that he will be distilling a wheater bourbon in Wyoming for someone.

Sounds like a great job for both location and job tasks.

Dave PIckerell doesn't have anything brewing with this deal.

But a former employee of Powers Irish Whiskey does.

He's considered a lion among his peers.

But a former employee of Powers Irish Whiskey does.

I am now getting very interested.

Are you hinting that someone is going to be distilling Irish whisky in Kentucky?

I'm in, I have plenty of glasses to pour it into.

Or maybe they are coming in from over the pond to make bourbon?

Yeah, very interested.

Is Barry Walsh perhaps doing a joint venture with Buffalo Trace to make pure pot still whiskey in Kentucky?

However and whomever is doing this, it is an interesting idea. I gave the link some time ago to an 1860's story in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle about a venture designed to do just that on Long Island. (I don't know if it ever got off the ground).

Duffy's Pure Malt Whisky, made in the Rochester, NY area in the later 1800's and early 1900's, was some kind of barley whiskey although I think it had a high degree of rectification.

The Feckin whiskeys I mentioned recently are (or one of them certainly, the unflavored one, is) an Irish whiskey being distributed by a company out of Minnesota.

There are numerous Irish-style red and other beers you can get in America.

In other words, the old attachment of America to Ireland and its products is still strong, and perhaps it is felt this style of whiskey will take off here. I wish them well, it is a good idea.

Gary

P.S. The iconography of those 70's Old Fitzgerald bourbon decanters also traded on the old ties to Emerald Isle.

And the other thing is, no need to ship expensively ex-bourbon barrels over to Gaelic lands to fill them with pot still whiskeys.

Just roll 'em up to that Jules Verne-looking contraption over in the shed next door!

Gary

Interesting, as Louisville, KY just became the Sister City of Bushmills, Ireland.

Well, B-F Woodford is even closer.

So you're getting hot.

Interesting Idea from Gary that someone from across the pond might be at the helm. That's exactly correct. This guy had The Power at a major distillery.

An the barrels wouldn't have to be shipped anywhere since this site has some used cooperage on site. In fact, some has been used twice. (Biggest Hint Yet)

Barton's Early Times? It's somewhere in L'ville.

Randy

Early Times would be a good guess if the barrels were used for whiskey. But they're not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.