A contest of sorts

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Heaven Hill, Bernhiem?

Are those Christian Brother's Brandy Barrels you're referring to?

Belay that...I think I've got a better one:

Four Roses. Lawrenceburg. Kirin Holdings owns Martell Cognac (or did).

I'll go back to Timothy's earlier point, Christian Brothers. Could a former Irish Distiller's executive be doing a JV with HH to make an Irish-style whiskey in B'town? If so, raise a hurrah, the return of distilling to Heaven Hill's original site. I know the names of a number of execs at Irish Distillers, highly skilled at making or blending Irish whiskey, but I believe they are all still with that company (which makes Jameson, Powers).

Gary

Versailles is hot

Louisville is warm

Owensboro is cold

We were heading in the right direction for awhile.

Louisville is not the site, nor is Versailles for that matter.

Yet, the barrels, although filled in Louisville, resided in Versailles before moving on to this third site.

Then its Altech's Lexington Brewery in Lexington. I recall their CEO/Owner is from Dublin. And they age a beer in bourbon barrels.

Randy

Randy has it.

Dr. Pearce Lyons, the CEO of Alltech is in fact an alumnus of both Powers Irish Whisky and Guiness stout.

He is driiving this new project along with brewers Chris Byrd, Adam and Robyn.

They've bought an entire block of property next to the existing Kentucky Ale Brewery, which currently brews Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, aged in Old Forrester (Woodford Reserve) barrels.

The proximity of the this distillery to the Town Branch (a creek) ties it to Lexington's distilling history, with two defunct distilleries within blocks of this site.

This is truly an exciting and bold move by Alltech.

That is very interesting. I look forward to seeing the results of this venture.

Tres cool. But I hope they do not limit themselves to Irish-style whiskey.

Gary

I suspect they will for while.

They've been brewing for 8 years and basically make one style of beer, a cross between an Irish Red and a English Bitter.

But that's completely conjecture on my part.

Do you think they can re-use barrels that have had beer in them?

Oh yes, for finishing at least, and a number of Scotch whiskies have been released finished in a similar way. Grant's Ale Cask was finished in casks that held beer (although I am not sure you can taste it). Signatory (well known Scottish whisky merchant) bottled an Ardmore single malt, 10 years old, in a barrel that had held kriek beer!

As for maturation from the outset, I would think they might scour and re-char the barrels that had held beer, but I'm not sure.

Gary

This sounds very Interesting to me also and I look forward to seeing how they do in this bold Venture!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

======================================

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.