What do you think of the new Bulleit ad?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What do you think of this new ad from Bulleit bourbon? I puzzled over it and couldn't figure out what they are trying to say. I asked Gene Song, the brand manager, so now I sort-of understand. The whole story of that exchange is here, but my reason for this post is mostly to see what you think, and please jot down some first impressions before you look up the answer.

post-5-14489814370302_thumb.jpg

I think they are saying that the taste of Bulleit is that of a traditional or historical American bourbon whiskey, and the other bourbons available today are not (or not as much).

If this is what they mean, I would disagree with the claim, i.e., disagree that bourbons other than Bulleit are not as traditional in palate as Bulleit.

Gary

First impression is that it will get you tipsy.

See how the bourbon in the glass and bottle looks like it is tilted?

We killed all the Indians, the West was won and our bourbon was the reason?

That Scott guy who posted a response to your blog entry sounds like he really knows what he's talking about. I'd like to meet him and pick his brain.

:lol:

It's the last of the "great bourbons". When this is gone, all we'll have left is the mediocre Stagg, Stitzel-Wellers, etc. What a pity. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Joe :usflag:

first reaction is that the bottle and glass appear to be tilted. then i wonder what "last of the great bourbons" means. It honestly confuses me a little. Makes me ask:

What were the first great bourbons?

Where did they go?

Is Bulleit really that good? (I haven't tried it before)

The bottle is cool, but I don't like the ad, mostly because it doesn't make sense to me. Now I need to go read the explanation!

What do you think of this new ad from Bulleit bourbon?

It's definitely slanted.

But then most ads are...

That Scott guy who posted a response to your blog entry sounds like he really knows what he's talking about. I'd like to meet him and pick his brain.

Don't pick at it too much or it'll leave a scar.

I simply dismissed the ad as marketing hype. Having read an article or two on Bulleit in "The Bourbon Country Reader", I knew the whiskey had no real heritage. But the hype doesn't bother me. Most bottle labels contain questionable claims, so that the ad copy is fanciful or misleading is no surprise.

I think it should read;

"Great, if it were the Last Bourbon"

But that's just my 2 pennies!!

Tony

First impression is that it will get you tipsy.

See how the bourbon in the glass and bottle looks like it is tilted?

Kind of agree with Oscar ... looks crooked.

I think it's a good ad, though, and I'm in the ad business. The copy matches the packaging. It looks like a bourbon that has been around a while, weathered the storms, etc. I haven't looked up what they were shooting for, but I'm sure it's an allusion to their story of heritage and tradition. Almost all bourbons tell that, even when they don't have any.

I've always thought Bulleit was good bourbon. This ad might convince a few people of that. Not bad work.

I cheated and looked first. My response is still the same.

They're trying to make a buck.

As most of you can tell by my member name, I like fishing and bowling. One thing I've learned over the years, is that a lot of fishing lures weren't meant to catch just fish. Some were meant to catch fishermen too. Pretty colors, different finishes, exotic names, something completely different or out of the ordinary, catchy advertising. These are all meant to "catch" the eye of the fisherman first. Doesn't matter if they really work or not, as long as the pros say they're great. Same with advertising or marketing in other areas. Take bourbon for instance. Some people do not care a lot for Maker's Mark, regardless of the taste of their bourbon. From what I have read here and elsewhere, part of the reason is their marketing/advertising. Bulleit is just the next in line. A new idea. A new slogan. A different picture. Catch the eye of the bourbon drinker, or better yet, the non-bourbon drinker. Let's make him/her a bourbon drinker. Make them think that this is the next best thing to come along. Doesn't matter if it is, or if it isn't. Doesn't matter if their claim to fame is completely true or not. It's all a matter of perception. People here at SB, or that have a broader understanding of bourbon, might raise an eyebrow at this. What the heck. Live and let live I say. Bulleit is a decent bourbon, and I will probably buy another bottle in the future. Their advertising won't influence me one way or the other. Besides, if this draws attention away from a truly great bourbon, all the better for the true bourbon lover. Or is it? You never can tell. Joe

Do they mean that of all the great bourbons out there this one ranks last place among them? :]

I'm quite sure it's supposed to be just far off enough to get you to notice it...but not far off enough to be obvious as you would then just pass over it...like seeing a picture on the wall and trying to figure out if it's actually crooked or not...it makes you look at it longer...and of course looking at it longer imprints it into your mind better.

As most of you can tell by my member name, I like fishing and bowling. You never can tell. Joe

Damn Joe, and I thought you were one of those guys that enjoys his aquarium with exotic fish!! :lol:

Tony

Do they mean that of all the great bourbons out there this one ranks last place among them? :]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I hadn't looked at it that way. That may be a valid point!

Perhaps the non-level bourbon in the bottle and glass is a subliminal way to tell us that their product is going downhill?

That's a shame since I do like it.

I think they are saying that the taste of Bulleit is that of a traditional or historical American bourbon whiskey, and the other bourbons available today are not (or not as much).

My first impression, exactly.

But what of the un-level glass and bottle?

I think I will peek at the answer, now.

I'm guessing "Last of the great bourbons" is going with their "Frontier Whiskey" theme as the only bourbon that matches what people were drinking in the 1800s.

I don't like the bottle, never have. Honesty, the apothecary style and the moniker "frontier whiskey" is the reason it took me so long to try it. I find it hokey. Like a pickle jar designed to look like a barrel instead of a glas jar.

As I look at the ad a little closer, it appears that the amount in the glass is greater than the amount missing from the bottle.

Maybe it's just me.

As I look at the ad a little closer, it appears that the amount in the glass is greater than the amount missing from the bottle.

Maybe it's just me.

That brings to mind a question. Why do whiskey adds often picture a glass of whiskey next to a full, sealed bottle. I've always found that peculiar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.