Your favorite beer

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Omigawd, Greg - you gave me a flashback to my bad old days, at Coyne's bar in Oakland in Pittsburgh, eating Hershey bars and drinking Stoney's beer with Sam Thompson chasers. Find me a wormhole into the past and BEAM ME UP!

Ralph Wilps

My non-bourbon non-beer drinks are not nearly as glamourous:

I have @ home:

1 bottle Goslings Black Seal Rum

1 bottle Captain Morgan's Spiced (exclusively for holiday eggnog)

1 bottle Jose Cuervo Gold

1 bottle Tequila Nacional (a gift)

1 bottle Seagrams 7 Crown (for guests)

1 bottle B**ven** S****h 21 year port wood (another gift)

I usually have bourbon or beer though, the rest is mostly gathering dust.

TomC

With age comes the appreciation for darker, fuller flavors....be it beer or whiskey etc. I too much prefer darker beers from ales to porters. Most commercial lagers I can hardly stand to drink. I think the age of 35+/- tends to be a turning point for many...taste buds died off or simply turned over!

On vacation 10 yrs ago in Britain I really enjoyed "Theakstons Ale." It is imported to the U.S. I enjoy Black and Tans (Michael O'Sheas is a U.S. maker). Bass, Harp, Guinness, S. Adams, Goose Island, Anchor etc. Michelob for regular commercial lager.

• 1 year later...

Tonight it is a cold, frosty mug of Pilsner Urquell. I am usually more of a porter/stout kind of guy, but this is a nice change of pace. toast.gifdrink.gifyum.gif

Kind of an old thread, but since it has been resurrected...

My favorite is probably Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but my favorite brewery is Boulevard. I get Boulevard Pale Ale quite frequently and also pick up their seasonal brews. I like hoppier beers, so I stick to pales, IPAs, etc. I also like a good wheat beer from time to time or a Belgian brew. New Belgium is also a good brewery... Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle, and their Abbey are really good.

Sierra Nevada does make some great beer. I am a big fan of their Bigfoot seasonal. Awesome. Although I would have to say my all time favorite beer is bowdown.gif"Fred" by Hair of the Dog, its out of portland and unbelievable.If you haven't had any look for it.I'm salivating just thinking about it. And Belguims, you can't really go wrong there. Wonderful,wonderful stuff. Chimay, Corsendonk...ahhhhhh If I ever made it across the pond to Belguim, I probabaly wouldn't come back.

All the beers made by Anchor Steam, brewed here in SF by Freddy Maytag, are great. They make a beer called "Anchor Small Beer" which is outstanding. They use the leftover mash from when they brew their Old Foghorn Barleywine, and they referment it to get this very light and very bitter ale...completely refreshing!

Your post reminded me that I was quite fond of Anchor Liberty Ale a few years ago. I think I stopped buying it only because my source quit stocking it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I haven't been drinking a variety of beers lately. That may change because of this thread being bumped.

One of my favorites for a couple years was Rogue Hazelnut Brown. I loved it on tap, but it was barely tolerable in bottles. When my favorite blues club quit serving it I went without for at least a year. Then a yuppie-pub called "The Yard House" opened in the touristy part of Long Beach, and they advertised "the most taps in town", or something like that. I went there one afternoon on a weekday and discovered that they had it. Somehow it didn't taste as good as I remembered. It may be time to give it another try.

Thanks to a steady supply from Trader Joe's, I've found that I like most bottlings from Mendocino Brewing Company and Anderson Valley Brewing Company, although I seldom drink the lighter, drier styles. Eye of the Hawk and Boont Amber are my favorites.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my favorite, all-around brew. However, I too like a very hoppy beer, and Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale fits the bill! drink.gif It should be available soon, as its a seasonal beer. Cheers!

Bob

This has been an outstanding beer week.

I tried Piraat on tap. Its a Belgian triple with 10.5% ABV. Malty with a citrus aftertaste and a big white head that won't quit. I also fell in love with Sami Claus, another big gravity beer that proclaims itself to be the world's strongest. Great partners for cool weather and one-pot meals.

toast.gif

Best beer by far... Falstaff! Runner up... Hamms!

No, just kidding. I echo the nod to Kansas City's Boulevard. Of course it is a regional beer and not avalable to everyone so, this attaboy may not mean that much to many. The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (which I like too) is very similar to the Boulevard Pale Ale, but head to head in my serious and somber tastings the Boulevard wins hands down.

After my one bourbon, then one scotch, I usually to go one beer (with thanks to John Lee Hooker)!

Seriously, though, Jeff, I'm glad you posted this topic, and the answer for me is a tough one.

First off, I love microbrews, and whenever I'm travelling I try and eat at a brewpub where the freshest and finest ales are to be found. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I feel lucky to have a huge selection many within miles, and whenever travelling throughout Washington and Oregon.

I love the IPA style (I'm a closet hophead) and like yourself Jeff, love a good dark beer too, especially the imported Guinness where available on tap. There's a couple of darks I'm especially enjoying right now Traquair Jacobite Ale and Suffolk Vintage Ale, from the U.K. The Suffolk is a dark ale which is aged in huge Oak vats, and is also blended before bottling.

I'm also a big fan of the Belgian beers, and similar breweries like Unibroue in Quebec are doing a fantastic job of creating some amazing double and triple fermented bottle offerings.

Of interest is the Unibroue 10, a special beer released in 2002 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of their existence. The beer features a 10% ABV and is the closest thing to cognac you'll ever taste in a beer. This year they outdid even themselves with the release of Unibroue 11 (yes, 11%). Look for the 12 next year possibly. Both are limited availability and worth searching out, in addition to their La Fin du Monde or Maudite.

As for American large brewery offerings, I'll agree with many that the Sierra Nevada is great. If any Rogue ales from Oregon are available in your area, try them out too. I have no idea how they pack so much flavour and body into a beer bottle.

Beer lovers will find a vast amount of info at www.ratebeer.com

toast.gif

In the last few days I've tried both Maudite and La Fin du Monde... I cant decide which I like better, but they've joined Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout at the absolute top of my list.

Steve

I love the IPA style (I'm a closet hophead)

Well for the east coast hop fanantics (Sorry, Dave) I suggest Boston's Harpoon IPA. It is probably the first beer that screamed hops that I really enjoyed. Get a sampler 12 pack if you can because many of their other bottlings (especially the ESB) are quite yummy too.

TomC

When I squeeze a beer in between these days it has been one of the following, they are generally local so If you are in OH, you should check 'em out:

One of the Columbus (OH) Brewing Company's line. Especially the 1895 porter, which is quite rich and dark. they all used to be available in bottles, but I think the brand is exclusively on tap now.

One of the many fine beers from Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland, my two faves being the Eliot Ness or the Burning River Pale Ale , although their Porter is quite good too.

And when I get the chance the "Tremont Ale" line from Atlantic Coast Brewing, though you dont often see them out this way, and I have to get a bud to bring them along when they visit.

I also admit to liking Sam Adams beers pretty well and since they are wide spread ofter have them out in resteraunts. Oh well, I have gone on too long. Time for a drink toast.gif!

Tom(A fascinating site about how one of the Great Lakes Ales got its infamous name)C

CL

Rogues's Dead Guy nite is tonight at a local watering hole. Buy a pitcher on tap and get two glasses to keep. Dead Guy is good. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Stout's and the Porters as well.

toast.gif

Dave, the summer/winter thing sounds like a good plan... but I live in Phoenix, Arizona. We have 2 seasons here, Summer and January. I think I'll just keep them both on hand and conduct some extensive, ummmm, research on them both! drink.gif

Steve

Tonight I had a Michelob Black and Tan. I have been pleasantly suprised with their line of specialty beers. For $4.99 a six pack it can't be beat. I also enjoy their Amber Bock on occasion. drink.gif

I was too embarrased to post what I liked since I'm not a normal beer drinker and dont know all the small breweries but you just hit it Jeff. I really like the Michelob lineup of speciality beers! Two of my favorites are the Honey Lager and the Amber Bock. I really like that one alot.

I contend with my beer fan friends all the time about my liking for the best commercial beers. I like the regular (original) Michelob. It has a rich taste that is quite unique - many years ago in a beer book I read the description, "eggy", and I can't improve on it.

The thing is though, Michelob (really any beer) must be very fresh to be at its best - sometimes even adding a few weeks fridge storage dampens the delicate taste. Originally (until about 1959) Michelob was an all-barley malt beer - at that time (when it was first bottled) the spec was changed to 80% barley malt and 20% adjunct, rice I think. I think Michelob would be even better if it returned to the original formulation. I like microbeers too - again if fresh and non-oxidised - the average quality of micro beer has gone up a lot in the last 10 years. Michelob by the way is good to chase whiskey with - but one has to go easy here. smile.gif

These line extension Michelobs sound very good and possibly are all-malt.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.