Your favorite beer

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hate to admit it..Coors Light. I know it's mostly water but it tastes good with snacking and BBQ food. While away from NYC on weekend excursions, I enjoy 'sampling' the beer of the locale I happen to be in. I on occasion like BUD ICE-has more alcohol. Saranac Lake beers are nice as well. I don't enjoy dark beers but light ones suit me just fine--anyone have any suggestions for a new brew to try?

drink.gif

How can you and Jeff like such great bourbon, yet settle for such mediocre beer? Honey Lager? That's a girlie beer. Amber Bock? A marketing attempt to be a better than average swill beer, at best, that falls well short of the mark. In bourbon terms, I think Honey Lager is the Basil Hayden of beers and Amber Bock is the JB White 7 yo of beers.

No offense to you both, personally, of course. Just calling them as I see 'em!

Yeah that amber bock stuff is pretty solid. They have that on tap at the local Red Lobster and I used to chill out at their bar and bug my friend Gabe when he used to bartend there. A pretty good way to spend an afternoon.

TomC

These line extension Michelobs sound very good and possibly are all-malt.

Sadly, no.

they are still pretty good thoug, and quite cost effective. smile.gif More money for whiskey you know.

TomC

I'm not a big beer fanatic nor a regular beer drinker by far. Since I cannot appreciate a great beer I like the fact that I can buy almost 2 6-packs of a Michelob speciality beer for what a 6 pack of some of these smaller micro-brews cost. When I do drink beer these are what I like, my own personal preference, sorry it doesn't meet your expectations...

Hey, no expectations to meet here. I always respect the opinions of those that know what they like, but that doesn't mean I won't toss in a little joking. wink.gif Seriously, it was meant to be an ironic post - you and Jeff have such great palates for bourbon yet you are very happy with the Michelob beers. I hope you took my original post at an attempt at humor. If I missed that mark, I apologize. blush.gif

CL,

Dang! I hate it when I miss out an a chance to be offended along with everyone else. grin.gif

Did your post end with, "The lab results came back. They said, 'Neither of these horses should be worked for at least 10 days.' "? [Did I just set a record for consecutive punctuation marks?]

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'm a Yuengling fan. I went on a hiking trip along the continental divide out west a few years ago, and I had a great beer out there called Fat Tire, but I've never been able to find it in Va. There's an "Irish" bar around the corner from me that has a pitiful bourbon selection, so I usually drink Harp with Guiness on top when I go there. I think that's called a half-and-half. drink.gif

Tommy

Fat Tire is definitely from CO. Boulder, I believe, but I am not positive about the city. Anyhow, it's good stuff. When I drank more beer, I could only find it in Denver when I was there on business.

I think that's called a half-and-half.

Yep thats what you call a stout/porter and lager concoction. I remember hearing it referred to as a Black & Tan by my Irish grandfather as a kid. From what I can see it is either or.

I did a tad of research (resulting in the above link) regarding the history of the term and came up with this:

The term was also used to refer to a a regiment of British soldiers recruited to serve in Ireland after the First World War. They had a reputation for being quite brutal and have been accused of many attrocities against the Irish in the years 1919-21.

Interesting Stuff.

Tom (part Callahan) C

We're having dinner up at my parents tonight and my Dad and Stacy are drinking from a case of Tequiza he just bought. He loves it for some reason! But he tells me his favorite beer is simply Bud.

post-87-14489811323374_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with the Dixie Blackened Voodoo, good stuff. When I can find it, I also enjoy a beer from England called Old Peculiar, makes you feel good....and a little peculiar. crazy.gif

Old Peculiar is a very fine brew. There's many fine British beers out there that are worth trying, and one of them is Thomas Hardy's Old Ale...very yummy, but a bit pricey.

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure if you can get it there in the States, but my number one brew is Chimay White. It's a Belgian brew and it notches up around 8% on the alcohol scale. You can't beat a bottle of the stuff in the summer time, especially if you stick a wedge of lemon on the side of the glass. It smells like freshly-risen bread dough, and there's nothing better to ease you into the swing of things.

WM

Tom,

I tried one of the beers from a brewer for one on your list, Flying Dog out of Denver. I had their IPA Snake Dog and I must say that it was as good an IPA as I've had. Unfortunately I bought it Thursday and just got it cooled down enough when I got in the Chat room with Jim and Cliff and was sippin Pappy 20, sippin Snake Dog, sippin Hazmat, sippin Snake Dog, sippin Weller 19, sippin Snake Dog, and for some reason I just can't remember all the flavors I was tasting. But I can say that the Snake Dog complemented all these premium bourbons magnificently. They have a full line of ales, and can be found here: Flying Dog Ales

They have a locator that shows several stores that sell the line.

I'm a dark beer man myself. I also like Sam Adams triple bock when available yum.gif My moto is " If you can see through it, it ain't beer". grin.gif Although paying for the stouts and other dark beers is like buying gas these day's I'm gonna have to take out a loan for a six pack. banghead.gif

This is not my 'favorite' as the thread implies but it's a good thread for the discussion of various brews I guess. This past weekend I picked up two 6-packs of Samuel Adams; Summer Ale and Cherry Wheat.

The Summer Ale as I remember it said it had lemon zest and some 'grains of paradise' in it. I was very disappointed in this one. Not only did I not get any fruitiness in it (which I thought may be underlying), I got no lemon background notes either. It was a very plain, nothing special brew. Maybe it was just me, but I found nothing special going on in it.

Now the Cherry Wheat... That was a beer I really liked! I noticed I really have a love for wheat brews, let's say that right now. Oh, and the Summer Ale was a wheat recipe beer, but I still did not like it. Anyways, this Cherry Wheat was amazing. The aroma of the cherries mixed with the 'beer aroma' was great. Both in the nose and the taste, the cherries were not too overpowering. Everything was blended just right, and I will definitely be buying another sixer of this! yum.gif

Any export strength lager - Stella, Kronenburg, Becks, Heineken export.

Guiness, Murphy's, Beamish

and ...

Draught Budweiser on a hot Summers day smile.gif

To be honest the quality of beer in th UK is so dependent on the pub you get it from that I have different favourites in different places.

toast.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I had to share this picture with you guys since Bob was nice enough to bring it over this 4th of July weekend to open; A bottle of Samuel Adams Triple Bock from 1994 .

I really had no idea what to expect out of this but here's a quick description of what it was like. It poured a very thick and very dark color, dark dark brown almost black. Also, there was no foamy head whatsoever. In the nose I got a little bit of oak and maple syrup. In the mouth, for me at least, the maple syrup really came through with maybe a bit of molasses. I also got a little coffee taste in there or something that resembles burnt coffee. It's like the burnt taste was fighting with the sweetness from the maple syrup. Quite a unique product but one I wouldn’t even classify as beer. Something nice to try but definitely drink it in a snifter and only pour the smallest amount... You can't drink all of it at once, trust me.

Thanks Bob for bringing this and all the other beers you did. It was a great time, one I hope we can do again soon! toast.gifdrink.gif

post-87-14489811548649_thumb.jpg

Tonight, I had a new (to me) beer that was very good: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I bought a case at Sam's Club, had the first one while char-broiling a couple of excellent rib eyes, and a second one while eating my steak.

A couple of weeks ago, I finished a 6-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager, really liking it. I like the SNPA quite a bit better.

Tim

Tim,

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my "go to" beers that is always a great choice. I love wheat beers during the summer, more robust beers in the colder months, but SNPA is good at any time, any season. It is a BIG step up from SA Lager.

Why did you grab a case of it if you've never had it before? Do you have to buy beer by the case in your area?

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.