What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went out with Shannon to Sebago Brewing and we had some Whiskey Porter, which i imagine is cask mellowed in an old whiskey barrel or something. It was delicious. Then I came home and did a short vertical of Anchor Christmas...first '04 then 05'. They are ver similar except that the '05 really masters the acidity and over-roasted finish evindent in the '04, so the '05 is the winner...a tremendous brew! Christnmas spice and roasted chocolate malt & char.

Last night, I enjoyed an Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer (the oak being used whiskey barrels -- reputed to be Jack Daniel's by someone who visited the brewery in Scotland!)

Tonight is is Narragansett Bock a fine and flavorful Bock Beer! I also had a left over Sam Adams Winter Lager!

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==--

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food!

Last night I had a Duvel, I love this beer! I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass, this continues for the life of the beer.

Last night I had a Duvel, I love this beer! I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass, this continues for the life of the beer.

Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison on tap at my favorite watering hole. I wish I could find it in the bottle around here.

Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison on tap at my favorite watering hole. I wish I could find it in the bottle around here.

I can only imagine how it sounds when someone orders their sixth one of those. :D I don't think I could get all of those words out cleanly if I was sober!

Scott, see you at Sampler?

You just say "Hennepin" and they know what you want. :grin: The extra info was added in the event that someone here wanted to toss the name into Google.

As they say with award shows, I'm scheduled to appear at the sampler. Check your PM's when you have a chance.

I'm still in New Zealand and have done my share of tasting the local brews and wines. So much so, I haven't had a whiskey of any kind in over two weeks. I'm sad to report that New Zealand's reputation for producing solid but mostly uninteresting beer is well deserved. Many of them seem to have too much sugar (added caramel is the culprit often speculated by beer nerds) ......... almost becoming unbalanced is some cases. But there are a couple I can recommend if you can find them.

Mac's Sassy Red is a vary unique beer. Almost a cross of an APA and an English bitter. Their promotional material says they add "buckets" of NZ Saaz hops at various stages of the brewing cycle. Copper red in color, rich and a nice hoppy finish. And the coolest beer bottle and bottle-top I've seen. This has been my favorite by far and at 4.6% alcohol you can have a few.

Mac's Black is also a nice attempt at making a black beer. Its a lager and uses fuggle hops. A little stronger at 5%, but its hard for me to drink more than one black lager anyway.

Randy

I'm still in New Zealand and have done my share of tasting the local brews and wines. So much so, I haven't had a whiskey of any kind in over two weeks. I'm sad to report that New Zealand's reputation for producing solid but mostly uninteresting beer is well deserved. Many of them seem to have too much sugar (added caramel is the culprit often speculated by beer nerds) ......... almost becoming unbalanced is some cases. But there are a couple I can recommend if you can find them.

Mac's Sassy Red is a vary unique beer. Almost a cross of an APA and an English bitter. Their promotional material says they add "buckets" of NZ Saaz hops at various stages of the brewing cycle. Copper red in color, rich and a nice hoppy finish. And the coolest beer bottle and bottle-top I've seen. This has been my favorite by far and at 4.6% alcohol you can have a few.

Mac's Black is also a nice attempt at making a black beer. Its a lager and uses fuggle hops. A little stronger at 5%, but its hard for me to drink more than one black lager anyway.

Randy

Don't know how into craft beer you are but maybe this link will help you in your search for good beer...maybe you've already looked at it...a map of all craft beer goings on in NZ:

http://ratebeer.com/Maps/Metro-182.htm

At the request of a friend who had way too much beer left over from a party last weekend, I stopped by to watch basketball and help thin the herd. An undetermined number of bottles of Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company bit the dust.

I wish it was a full time beer for them, but it's just seasonal.

Thanks for the link in NZ. But like the map shows, there's not much craft brewing going on down there. The pubs and bars are fantastic though......good atmospheres and friendly people. The Kilkenny "Brewed in NZ acoording to the original formula" I had at Indians and Cowboys was a bit of a let down, but at least they were honest. I haven't made it to the one pub with good reviews, but will try to in the next few days.

Randy

doubleblank -

there is a label made in Australia called Little Creatures that is supposed to be really really good. They make a pale ale called...you guessed it Little Creatures Pale ale that is supposed to be really good. You might find it somewhere down there..

Tonight I am drinking "Bareville Pilsner" from the Intercourse Brewing company from Intercourse Pa near Lancaster Pa it is a smooth mild Pilsner and goes good with lots of Bourbon as we tested it tonight!

"Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food"

Dave Z

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale :( -- last of the 6-pack :)!

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale :( -- last of the 6-pack :)!

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...

Shannon bought a six-pack of that a couple of years ago and it was the same story -- despite pawning one off on every unsuspecting guest -- it took till the spring to get rid of that swill. :)

Tonight I had some Leinenkugel Red Ales -- those are awesome.

Hey Rat,

I believe I mentioned Little Creatures in my trip thread here on SB. I went to their brewery in Fremantle and their pale ale is outstanding. It is great on tap and in bottle. The James Squire brewed in Sydney also makes a great range of beers widely available in Oz. Their golden also on tap is a great beer. Generally, I found the craft beers (and mass produced beers) in Australia to be better than anything here in NZ.

Randy

I went to the New Albanian Brewing Company's new Bank Street Brewery, which isn't a brewery yet, and had Oaktimus, which is their Hoptimus IPA aged with oak. I think it's cheap, and I think it was aged a long time.

It was interesting. I think they use plain unused uncharred oak, so it's not at all like beer aged in whiskey barrels. It has a good bit of astringency from the wood to go with the same from the hops.

The Sales Manager tracked me down today and wanted to spring for lunch.

So WTF I ordered a Czechvar.

Same Mother brewery but not as far as local distribution goes.

Maybe I'm gettin' tired of him.

We had dinner tonight at a Belgian restaurant (to celebrate my husband's new job--yay!!) so I had the restaurant microbrew sampler. Ugh. I don't get the attraction of Belgian style beers. Too wheaty? Especially the light ones. No Thank You!

I forgot (wonder why) that I had a beer at lunch today that I greatly preferred to the belgian stuff--Arcadia's London Porter. Hearty, but not to heavy and a little sweet.

I don't usually have beer with all my meals :lol:

I like the sweetness in the Belgian doubles and triples. The others I think are overpriced and overvalued.

Will

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.