What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did drink a lot of good beer and one real bad one when I did visit Stockholm over the day a few days ago. The bad one was an 11 % double chocolate stout from some American microbrewery. I tasted enormously intense of cheap sweet chocolate and was very suffocating to drink. Much better was for instance Dales pale ale that you can trust in all cases. I did also try 2 matured beers. First one was an eisbock from a Swedish microbrewery called kåtisbocken 2005 the other one was Bigfoot 2001. Both were very mild and gentle compared to normal matured beers of the same kind. I do prefer the normal age version, but they were very interesting to taste still.

Leif

Just finished my run, and am enjoying a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. And, it's really hittin' the spot. Nice and crisp. Finally starting to get a little heat, down here in Hotlanta. We've struggled to hit 80, with all the rain we've had. Buts, some low 80's recently. I'm glad to see it, though. I like it hot, particularly with a cold one waitin' for me in the fridge. :)

Last night was a trip to a local beer bar and I started with a Clipper City Cat 5, followed that with a Lindemans Cuve Rene and then came come for a J.W.Lees 1998 Vintage Ale.

Got a hold of some Brooklyn Summer today - - one of my favorite summer beers . . . tasty in tandem with some Weller Special Reserve, the sunshine and the Grateful Dead.

Rock Light. More refreshing than CoorsL, MillerL, or the awful MichelobL. Though I would rather choose CoronaL for a light that tasted like the real thikng.

Picked up a 12 pack of Deschutes Buzzsaw Brown today for an unheard of price of 11.99! Very drinkable this seasonal is making me sorry I picked it up way up in Fort Collins without buying them out at this price! Also picked up an Eisbock from Germany but it's too far from the computer for me to go and look at the label but the shelf marker said it was rated 98 by someone. Who am I to argue? Will update this post later when I've consumed it.

Dales Pale Ale is made right here in Longmont Leif. Just another reason to come visit next time you make it to the States.

Last night I had an allagash confluence, and a daisy cutter from half acre in chicago. yummy.

Dales Pale Ale is made right here in Longmont Leif. Just another reason to come visit next time you make it to the States.

I wouldn’t mind visiting nether you nor the Oscar Blues brewery Dane!

Leif

Fat Tire ale w/grilled cheese (havarti on pumpernickle) + potato/leek soup. Good combo.

Tonight something new to me from Sam Adams! Blackberry Witbier very refreshing and easy to drink I think I have found a good one to enjoy in this warmer weather. Had a Long Trail Blackberry Wheat earlier tonight another nice smooth Bear I have grown to love Long Trail Beers!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

A bit of batch #4, a Midas Touch clone. Never having tried a real Midas Touch I can't say how it compares to the real thing but this is pretty interesting and definitely good. It's probably because I made it and know exactly what's in it but I can taste pretty much all of the extra ingredients it has (honey, muscat, and safron). By far better than batch #3. Like all our beers this one seems to have a decent amount of alcohol in it, probably around 10%.

I wasn't going to try this until Sat. at the earliest (needs 1 - 3 weeks of priming) but when I got back from the stores there was a message from my friend saying that he'd broken down and tried it, he also said it was our best one yet so I had to. (Plus it seemed like a good way to kick off the 4 day weekend!) I think our next batch will be an attempt at a Saison ale and then when that is ready I'm probably going to take one bottle of each batch and do a big side by side with my friend (...and I do mean big, the only bottle I have from the first batch is a magnum!). :]

Tonight will be my first Pliny the Elder. Thanks to a kind hearted soul on this board I was able to trade for this as it's not available in NJ. Really looking forward to this!

I'm slumming...Bought a six of PBR last night...

were they out of Millwaukee's Best?

You mean they still make THE BEAST? Finally got around to opening my mystery bottle from a couple of nights ago, it's Kulmbacher Eisbach, imported to the US by Shelton Brothers of (not kidding) Belchertown, MA. At 9.2% it was a mouthful but extremely enjoyable. Close to my favorite import, Ayinger Celebrator though just didn't seem as complex. At 3 bucks a pop it's not going to be my go to beer but I really enjoyed this one.

Tonight I had a couple of the Buzzsaws and (gasp) a Coors. Hadn't had one forever so it was kind of a filler between beers. Not as watery as I remembered it though.

I did chare a 75 cl bottle of Rogue imperial stout 2007 with my lady partner last night. It was very, very good with lots of coffee, chocolate and quit a bit of hops as well. The finish was very long and there wasn’t anything disturbing from the 11,6 strength. Seemed perfectly aged.

Leif

were they out of Millwaukee's Best?

Yep...they had MB Light, but I didn't want that...:cool:

Yep...they had MB Light, but I didn't want that...:cool:

Well a man has to have standards! And yes, the BEAST is alive and unwell, Dane.

My tastebuds still have terrifying flashbacks of kegs and kegs of The Beast at parties when I went to Mizzou the second time around. I remember it tasting ok when it entered the mouth and then like someone put a dead possum in my mouth right afterward.

Bell's Brewery from Michigan, is another micro that's recently come to Hotlanta. I'm thoroughly enjoying their Porter tonight. :yum:

Bell's Brewery from Michigan, is another micro that's recently come to Hotlanta. I'm thoroughly enjoying their Porter tonight. :yum:

Lately I had:

Lees Harvest Ale - dessert beer, very good though. port like.

Ommehang Abbey Ale - a nice Belgian abbey style ale

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.