What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Lately I had:

Lees Harvest Ale 2004 - dessert beer, very good though. port like.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - a nice Belgian abbey style ale, notes at home

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter - good brew, smoky, some bitterness (not as much as their stout) and a tinge of sweetness at end, coffee, earthy

I hade 2 Rasputin Russian imperial stouts left. Both stored a little over a year. I did make a porter steak out of one and drank the other yesterday. It tasted awesome and seemed perfectly aged. Me and my lady partner will eat the steak on Friday.

Leif

Tonight, I had a few to many Lagunitas Correction Ales, and finished with an Allagash Confluence yet again. Confluence is awesome.

Was brewing yesterday for the first time in months and a buddy decided to break out some great beers.

First a brewed a single hop IPA (Cascades) part I of a V part series of single hopped beers. Split the 8gal batch to 2 fermenters and used WLP001 for 1 and WLP051 for the 2nd. be interesting to see how yeast affects an identical beer.

Then we drank:

Rochefort 10

Westy 8, then Westy 12

St. Bernardous Christmas, along with a 2yr old bottle of St. Berndarous 12

Lots of homebrew

World Wide Stout

Bell's expidition Stout

Bourbon County Stout

lil sumptin' sumptin'

Angel Share Bourbon and another of Brandy

and I think that's it, about 5 guys sharing samples.

Had 2 left at the local.

I had it around xmas & happy to have it in June!

http://www.stonebrew.com/collaboration/081021.html

Cool! Stone's IPA was featured (along with several other IPAs) in this month's Bon Appetit magazine. Checked your link to see if Stone is available in my area and I should be able to find it in NW FL. A coincidental thanks is in order.

BTW, here are the IPAs featured in the article:

AleSmith, San Diego

Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Founders Centennial

Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast

Lagunitas

Maui Brewing Big Swell

Port Brewing Wipeout

Russian River Blind Pig

Stone IPA

Surly Brewing Furious

Victory HopDevil

I couldn't find any of these near me over the weekend, but I didn't cross state lines. I did pick up Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (Athens, GA) and Harpoon IPA. I'm taking the above list with me next trip to Pensacola.

Didnt AL just get High ABV beers recently?

I'm a big Stone fan and as much as I like their IPA you gotta find the RUINATION. It's def. better and superb on draft if you can find it.

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

Out of the other beers you posted I would rank Founders Centennial at the top followed by Dogfish.

Victory and Brooklyn do little for me and I detest Lagunitas anything. The rest I haven't had.

Didnt AL just get High ABV beers recently?

Yes, but I'm not finding much at retailers. I need to hit a couple of the bars in downtown Mobile. The stories in the paper quoted some owners who said they were lined up to get as much variety as they can.

BTW, here are the IPAs featured in the article:

AleSmith, San Diego

Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast

Lagunitas

Maui Brewing Big Swell

Port Brewing Wipeout

Russian River Blind Pig

Stone IPA

Most of these are So-Cal IPA's. All are excellent, I think the Green Flash West Coast is actually the best, followed up by Alesmith. I think Wipeout is also better than Stone.

Most of these are So-Cal IPA's. All are excellent, I think the Green Flash West Coast is actually the best, followed up by Alesmith. I think Wipeout is also better than Stone.

I'll have to look for Green Flash up here, I am pretty much on an IPA only kick lately. I mean bad too, it's either light beer, my favorite is Busch light, or something Hoppy as can be! Yeah, I know that seems real weird.

This weekend it was Pliny vs. Deschutes Red Chair IPA. Have to say Deschutes is really disappointing me lately, all this one tasted like was a more hoppy version of Mirror Pond. Also kind of makes me sad to see that Cali is brewing better IPAs than us Oregonians! My favorites so far are Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and Pliny the Elder.

Christian,

How about a real hoppy Whiskey?

Charbay, have you tried it? If you are interested in trying it I can send you some when I return from my trip.

I'll have to look for Green Flash up here, I am pretty much on an IPA only kick lately. I mean bad too, it's either light beer, my favorite is Busch light, or something Hoppy as can be! Yeah, I know that seems real weird.

This weekend it was Pliny vs. Deschutes Red Chair IPA. Have to say Deschutes is really disappointing me lately, all this one tasted like was a more hoppy version of Mirror Pond. Also kind of makes me sad to see that Cali is brewing better IPAs than us Oregonians! My favorites so far are Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and Pliny the Elder.

I had the AleSmith IPA on tap the other week and thought it was one of the hop-heaviest beers I've ever had. Really potent. Very good, though not what I would call balanced.

Blind Pig is good (got a couple in the fridge right now), but I prefer Pliny the Elder or Dogfish Head 90 minute (each for different reasons). Passed up Green Flash on tap the other night as I was in the mood for stout.

Speaking of Oregonian IPAs, I had a Hop Henge Experimental by Deschutes the other day that was pretty tasty.

Not a giant fan of many NW IPAs, but am curious about Amnesia's Copacetic IPA, Indian Pelican Ale, Captured by Porches Invasive Species IPA, and Ninsaki Total Domination...wonder if any of these stack up to Russian River or Dogfish Head?

While in Columbus, OH this week on business, I annihilated Hyde Park's Steakhouse and Champp's Restaurant supply of Great Lakes Brewings Dortmunder Gold Lager. Wow, is that a delicious brew.

I got a feeling I'm going to be hitting up my bourbon brethren in Cleveland for a favor around KBF time. :D Which one of you has a van? ;)

While in Columbus, OH this week on business, I annihilated Hyde Park's Steakhouse and Champp's Restaurant supply of Great Lakes Brewings Dortmunder Gold Lager. Wow, is that a delicious brew.

I got a feeling I'm going to be hitting up my bourbon brethren in Cleveland for a favor around KBF time. :D Which one of you has a van? ;)

You can get Great Lakes' beers in KY.

You can get Great Lakes' beers in KY.

Cool! I guess I'll be the one traveling via van, then!

I'm loving the Summer Wacko by Magic Hat . . . brewed and colored with beets!!! Crazy! I got one in a bar and it looked like red Kool Aid but tasted delicious! . . . it was not until I bought a six pack that I saw the label where it mentions the beets. Very good brew, though . . . light, smooth, sweet and bready.

I had 2 Three Floyd's Dreadnaught on tap tonight. High alcohol, high hops, I'm happy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.