What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it is a Sunday afternoon in the fall and that means 2 things. Football and Beer. For me I started up with a Bloody Mary and a Sam Adams Octoberfest back just before the Packers Rams game. It was followed up New Belgium 1554 Black Ale and then Spaten Optimator and a Green Bay Victory! The New Belgium was the best of the three beers. A dark malty brew that paired well with cheedar cheese and venison sausage. So whatcya pouring this fall?

Well, it is a Sunday afternoon in the fall and that means 2 things. Football and Beer. For me I started up with a Bloody Mary and a Sam Adams Octoberfest back just before the Packers Rams game. It was followed up New Belgium 1554 Black Ale and then Spaten Optimator and a Green Bay Victory! The New Belgium was the best of the three beers. A dark malty brew that paired well with cheedar cheese and venison sausage. So whatcya pouring this fall?

I was up at Costco getting a new case of Shiner Bock, when I came across the Chimay Blue, "brewed by Trappist monks". Okay, I bit, and took home a 750 ml bottle of this Belgian ale.

I poured it at room temperature, and was very happy with it. Next time I go to Costco, I think I'll pick up a few more bottles, even though they are a bit pricey. I'll have to at least try it chilled.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. Very nice on a coolish night, and MNF.

Great choice. If you dig that, try New Holland's Poet stout or Arcadia's London Porter. They're so money and they don't even know it.

Great choice. If you dig that, try New Holland's Poet stout or Arcadia's London Porter. They're so money and they don't even know it.

Bell's is pretty new here in Georgia, but I'm not sure about the status of the others. Thanks for the recs, Josh. I'll check them out.

Bell Expedition Stout is amazing. I'll probably pick up a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout tomorrow, maybe a Beer Geek Breakfast, Ayinger Celebrator. I need to try all those, and a whooole lot more. Trying to expand my knowledge of imports. I usually just drink American Craft brews.

The most current list of the Brews in my fridge is;

Michigan Brewing Co – Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Upland Brewing Co – Wheat Ale

Leinenkugels – Oktoberfest

I’m sure that there will be others this fall, however, for now these are what I’m rotating threw. I’m on a constant search for good beer, and I have cut my drinking down to a level such that I can justify buying a 6-pack every other week of something new, my goal is to try as many new micro/craft brews as possible.

The most current list of the Brews in my fridge is;

Michigan Brewing Co – Pumpkin Spiced Ale

Upland Brewing Co – Wheat Ale

Leinenkugels – Oktoberfest

I’m sure that there will be others this fall, however, for now these are what I’m rotating threw. I’m on a constant search for good beer, and I have cut my drinking down to a level such that I can justify buying a 6-pack every other week of something new, my goal is to try as many new micro/craft brews as possible.

That's a kickass fridge. I'm currently loving this Founders (Grand Rapids) Breakfast Stout. A dark, gloomy day deserves a dark and rich beer.:drink:

Bell's is arguably my favorite microbrewery these days, certainly one of the best in the upper Midwest. I love their entire line, though I should mention that you really have to be a hop-head to enjoy their Two Hearted Ale. We drink Bell's Oberon Ale all summer long and move into their porter and stouts during the autumn/winter. Great stuff!

I was up at Costco getting a new case of Shiner Bock, when I came across the Chimay Blue, "brewed by Trappist monks". Okay, I bit, and took home a 750 ml bottle of this Belgian ale.

I poured it at room temperature, and was very happy with it. Next time I go to Costco, I think I'll pick up a few more bottles, even though they are a bit pricey. I'll have to at least try it chilled.

Chimay has long been regarded as one of the great Trappist Ales but you may wish to chill it, as you mentioned. Chimay Red is a regular in our house, with the Chimay Blue coming out for special occasions. Try some Corsendonk too if you haven't already. Mighty fine, mighty fine.

We drink Bell's Oberon Ale all summer long ... Great stuff!

I have to agree that Bell’s is some fine brews, and I too love the Oberon Ale, however, the last six pack of Oberon I got this year must have had a rough life before it got to me, it was in rough shape, tasted like it had made the trip in a pizza oven then was flash chilled in liquid nitrogen, before they warmed it back up with a propane torch. Never the less I can’t wait till it is in season again. This is the good/bad part about seasonal beers, its like waiting for sweet corn the excitement is the good part, and the wait is the bad.

I worked as a steward at GABF this last week. So I had a chance to try....everything. Mind blowing, esp getting a chance to try pub-only beers that had been bottled the 1x for the competition. Sneak peaks at beers yet to be released and a massive amount of...beer.

So much fun, I hope I can do it again next year!

Oh heck, it's close enough to 5:00 this Friday, that I'm calling it a week. First out of the box is a devastatingly delicious New Holland Dragon's Milk Ale Aged in Oak Barrels. Creamy, thick, sweet, and potent at 8.5%. Very malty with an old timey Ovaltine tinge to it. The oak lightly gives definition, and ties the whole thing together. (I have no idea what that sentence means, but it's a close as I could come to describe what I'm thinkin'. Plus, I thought it sounded good.:)) The finish is just perfect, as it tones down the sweetness that sometimes just lingers too much in Ales such as this. This is a beautiful beer.

I worked as a steward at GABF this last week. So I had a chance to try....everything. Mind blowing, esp getting a chance to try pub-only beers that had been bottled the 1x for the competition. Sneak peaks at beers yet to be released and a massive amount of...beer.

So much fun, I hope I can do it again next year!

What were the standouts for you?

Did you get a chance to try The Bruery's Black Tuesday? Impressions? The only other super-high ABV beer from them I've tried was Melange #3 - quite tasty if not particularly well balanced/integrated.

I'm looking forward to picking up at least a couple of extra bottles come release day (good trade bait for LA Cable Car, Darkness, Kate the Great, Barrel-Aged Alesmith, Allagash Gargamel, etc).

Run through the beer frig. Karmeliet triple, Spatan Octoberfest, Spatan Dunkel, New Glarus Bock, Zotler Bier Korbian Dunkel, Specker Imperial Russian Stout, Spaten Optimator, Sam Adams Octoberfest, Pauliner Salvator, Kostriker Octoberfest, Dupont Moinette Bruin, Lagunita little sumpin extra, Weihenstephaner Korbian Dunkel, Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest, Meantime Porter and IPA, Guiness. And for the masses that might stop by Bud light and Miller Lite. The Moinett Bruin is going to be my Monday Night Football Beier - Go Pack!

A little football, and leftovers from last nights Oktoberfest Party. Washing it all down with Franziskaner Weissbier, Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen, and Kulmbacher Monchshof Schwarz. As Wayne Newton might say, "Danke Schoen".

Three Floyds Behemoth barleywine, Left Hand Oktoberfest, and Steelhead Extra Stout (gets a 94 on ratebeer, and I was very disappointed. I guess because my Extra Stout is better :D )

Got a couple different brews in the fridge...Spaten Oktoberfest, Guinness 250, PBR!, and the always in-stock Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

What were the standouts for you?

Did you get a chance to try The Bruery's Black Tuesday? Impressions? The only other super-high ABV beer from them I've tried was Melange #3 - quite tasty if not particularly well balanced/integrated.

I'm looking forward to picking up at least a couple of extra bottles come release day (good trade bait for LA Cable Car, Darkness, Kate the Great, Barrel-Aged Alesmith, Allagash Gargamel, etc).

GABF sounds like a great time...

As for The Bruery, I'll probably be there around 4:30 (I know Patrick doesn't want people lining up before then) - looking forward to trying BT on cask (I think they gave it some unfortunate name like "Chocolate Rain" though :lol:) and picking up some Papier and BA Autumn Maple.

Got a couple different brews in the fridge...Spaten Oktoberfest, Guinness 250, PBR!, and the always in-stock Samuel Adams Boston Lager.

Also had a Spaten Oktoberfest along with a Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest and a Sprecher Black Bavarian. Also the Belgian Moinette Strong Ale was excellant on Monday night even though the Pack lost.

GABF sounds like a great time...

As for The Bruery, I'll probably be there around 4:30 (I know Patrick doesn't want people lining up before then) - looking forward to trying BT on cask (I think they gave it some unfortunate name like "Chocolate Rain" though :lol:) and picking up some Papier and BA Autumn Maple.

Cool, then I'll see you then. I'm leaving work at 3pm from downtown SD, picking up 3 guys and we ought to be there a tad after 4pm. A bit early but we'll just go with the flow. I'll be a big tall guy w/ a beard and a brown cap on that says "QUAFF" my homebrew club. Def come over and say hi.

I want the BT, BA Autumn Maple and I have no idea what White Oak is, but i'm curious. Plus all the delicious beers on tap...hell, I'll probably get tehre and eat something before the event starts.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 6-pack of Michelob Original Lager. I noticed the labeling looked a little different from what I remember from just a short while back, so I examined it, carefully. It no longer says "All Malt Recipe", so I am wondering if they have changed it, again?

It is still mighty tasty, though. :drink:

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.