What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here I am sitting right next door to Bell's and I never get into it.

But I am glad to see so many of ya'll into MI beer.

Last night I had a River Horse Milk Stout. Very nice, fairly simple. I followed that up with a Founders Breakfast Stout. Very nice as well, more complex than the River Horse but I suppose it's not fair to compare the two.

I was a bit let down by the Breakfast Stout after all of the reviews. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I just don't see all of the hub-bub.

Had a Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, and enjoyed every last drop. Has some flavors not found in most beers. If you get a chance to find it, drink it.

Adnams Broadside, an English ale not identified on the label as a pale ale, but within the pale ale/IPA mode by virtue of its ABV (6.3%) and firm hoppy flavor. It`s got a round malt taste but again firmly underpinned by resinous English hops. Notes of fig and raisin emerge as the drink warms in the glass. While not a craft beer per se - Adnams is an old-established regional brewery - once again the English prove there isn't much about traditional beer you can teach them.

Gary

When I lived in England, Adnams Broadside on tap was one of my favorites, especially in cask conditioned form. For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many brewpubs here in America fail to have even one cask conditioned ale on offer when they go through the trouble of producing so many quality beers, only to artificially carbonate them. There's nothing like a beautiful hand-pulled ale in an English pub with a roaring fire on a cold winter evening. By the way, if you like the Broadside, try Adnams Bitter (formerly Suffolk Strong Ale).

Good points, although I find increasingly in the large cities here (U.S., Canada) good cask beer is available. Chicago has some excellent examples (Goose Island, also at the Map Room and I am sure other places, Piece perhaps).

Some years ago I found quality variable, in part because cask beer was not well understood and/or not much was sold so the beers sometimes went off, but in recent years I find the situation much improved.

Gary

Good points, although I find increasingly in the large cities here (U.S., Canada) good cask beer is available. Chicago has some excellent examples (Goose Island, also at the Map Room and I am sure other places, Piece perhaps).

Some years ago I found quality variable, in part because cask beer was not well understood and/or not much was sold so the beers sometimes went off, but in recent years I find the situation much improved.

Gary

I do stumble across the occasional cask ale but the brewpubs without any far outnumber the ones that have it, at least around here. I was in a Rock Bottom brewpub recently and they had one non-descript cask ale on offer, along with seven or eight decent beers that would have benefitted from traditional carbonation, IMO. Goose Island is quite good, though not easy for me to get to these days. And I have three other brewpubs within ten miles of my house with no cask ale which I fnd disappointing. I keep asking about it whenever I get a chance to speak to the actual brewmaster, but they don't seem that enthused for some reason. Yet for me, it makes all the difference in the world.

I did have Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Bigfoot yesterday. Both are good, but I prefer the stronger one. I think it stands up very well against all â€modern†double IPA I have tasted. I look forward for February 1 when the Swedish government store realises the new vintage of SN Celebration.

Leif

This weekend I had a lot of Dogfish Head Chicory Stout that was recently tapped in the kegerator. Must say I like this a lot. There isn't much of a coffee flavor but it is very subtle and enjoyable.

I like this a lot! A great switch from Imperial Stouts.

A very tasty Sam Adams Holiday Porter, after my run. Poured into my 1999 Budweiser Holiday Stein. Pulling out a new stein each day, I'm working my way backwards down to 1983 (I'm missing the first 2 years--81 & 82). I ain't gonna make it by Christmas. :rolleyes: Will have to double up, I guess! :D The head on this beer is positively cumulous! Very flavorful pour, with a sort of red wine nose and tinge on the mid-palate.

This is described as a Tripel on the Beer Advocate website...I will definitely get more Sparkling Ale. I think I paid $10.49 for a six-pack but it is not in all stores.

Sounds good! I was hoping they would have some of that at Grand Trunk pub today, but no luck.

I did have a pint of the 4 Elf Christmas Ale from Dark Horse. A nice dark bitter w/peppermint and some other spices. Not too bad.

There are just tooo many choices....always something new to try.

Picked up Rogue American Amber Ale....it is a good Ale.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/363

B+

http://www.rogue.com/beers/american-amber.php

I notice they have a distillery too....Dead Guy Whiskey...never had it.

http://www.rogue.com/spirits/dead-guy-whiskey.php

Made from the same grains as their Dead Guy Ale:

"Northwest Harrington, Maier Munich, Klages, and Carastan malts"

Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12904&highlight=Dead+Guy+Whiskey

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.