What Beer are you drinking? Fall 2009

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's funny to hear so much praise of Bells here. They make some damn good beers (which I drink and love), but some microbrew fans here in Michigan are starting to shun Bells because they think they've gotten too big for their bitches.

Isn't that always the way things go? For a time, at least, Bells was the best microbrewery in Michigan, IMHO, but suddenly they've become a victim of their own success. The same thing happened to Goose Island here in Chicagoland many years ago, and I suspect that with New Glarus's recent expansion, a similar trend will likely happen in Wisconsin. It's a pity really, but when breweries get bigger they seem to lose their cachet and people move on to other things.

I just got back from Costco with a case of Kirkland Signature brand "hand crafted" premium beer. It contains a selection of Hefeweisen, Lager, Brown Ale, and Pale Ale. I can't wait to try each of them.

Tim

I just got back from Costco with a case of Kirkland Signature brand "hand crafted" premium beer. It contains a selection of Hefeweisen, Lager, Brown Ale, and Pale Ale. I can't wait to try each of them.

Tim

Really?! Huh... I wonder who did them. I'm going to bet they're pretty good. I can't say I have ever been disapointed by any Kirkland branded item from Costco. Tim, I hope you'll share your impressions of them.

I'm currently on a Fat Tire Amber Ale, after starting off with a Budweiser American Ale.

Really?! Huh... I wonder who did them. I'm going to bet they're pretty good. I can't say I have ever been disapointed by any Kirkland branded item from Costco.

I agree. Their balsamic vinegar is killer, and it hardly costs more than the inferior ones at the grocery stores.

Tim

Really?! Huh... I wonder who did them.

When I was putting a few bottles in the refrigerator, last night, I saw that they were made by New York (or, was it New Yorker? - I hate being old) Brewers of Utica, NY.

Tim

When I was putting a few bottles in the refrigerator, last night, I saw that they were made by New York (or, was it New Yorker? - I hate being old) Brewers of Utica, NY.

On the west coast, the Kirkland branded beers are coming from Gordon Biersch (and, based on the wording on the back label, they also developed the recipes) and are credited on the label to the "Hopfen and Malz Brewing Co. San Jose, CA" . In the east (as noted above, using the dba of the "New Yorker Brewing Co."), they're brewed by F. X. Matt in Utica, NY. The Matt-brewed labels drop the line "Developed for Costco by German-educated brewer Dan Gordon" on the "German Lager".

Don't know where the "dividing" line is, however.

I just had one of the Kirkland Hefeweisens. 5.5% alcohol, 26 IBU. It was one of the very best beers I have ever tasted.

Tim

I just had one of the Kirkland Hefeweisens. 5.5% alcohol, 26 IBU. It was one of the very best beers I have ever tasted.

Tim

Yesterday I had a Smuttynose Imperial Stout. Very good beer but a bit too boozy in the nose for me.

Had my first disappointing beer from the New Glarus Brewery (Wisconsin). I picked up a six pack of their "Stone Soup" last weekend and drank a few while watching football yesterday and it was...boring. It's marketed as an Abbey Ale but tasted more like an American wheat beer.

Yesterday I had a Smuttynose Imperial Stout. Very good beer but a bit too boozy in the nose for me.

I've got one on the way to me right now, based on what you say I'll probably stick it in the cellar for a year to see if that helps the nose.

Have you tried any of their other "Big Beer" series? I really enjoyed their Farmhouse Ale...

Cheers.

I also had their Baltic Porter, that was very good. I'll be picking these up as they are released going forward as they are very good quality at a very nice price.

I'm starting to get upset with the rising prices of craft beers. Too many beers are moving away from $5 for a 22oz bomber and closer towards $8, $9, $10. I don't mind spending that for a special occasion but for regular beers that's a bit much.

Had my first disappointing beer from the New Glarus Brewery (Wisconsin). I picked up a six pack of their "Stone Soup" last weekend and drank a few while watching football yesterday and it was...boring. It's marketed as an Abbey Ale but tasted more like an American wheat beer.

That's too bad, I really enjoy New Glarus and pick up some whenever I pass through Wisconsin. The Staghorn and the Imperial Saison are each excellent.

Craig

That's too bad, I really enjoy New Glarus and pick up some whenever I pass through Wisconsin. The Staghorn and the Imperial Saison are each excellent.

Craig

I haven't had those two but have loved everything else from NG that I've tried. Spotted Cow flies out of the fridge when I come back with a case. I'll have to check out the Staghorn and Imperial Saison next time around which will be Thanksgiving.

Cookin' up a pot of chicken noodle soup, while sippin' on a Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Geeze, Bell's is loaded with great beers. Just absolutely loaded. This puppy may be my favorite of the handful I've tried from them. Though, I do dig on that Kalamazoo Stout.

I'm trying the 2009 Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale, Its a "wet hop" beer, which tastes very good, but I could not blindly pick it out of a line-up of traditional dry-hopped IPAs.

Joe, I'm there with ya, the Two-Hearted is something really special, no more flavor is possible to pack into that bottle of brew.

Cookin' up a pot of chicken noodle soup, while sippin' on a Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Geeze, Bell's is loaded with great beers. Just absolutely loaded. This puppy may be my favorite of the handful I've tried from them. Though, I do dig on that Kalamazoo Stout.
Joe, I'm there with ya, the Two-Hearted is something really special, no more flavor is possible to pack into that bottle of brew.

I've been championing Bell's Beers for years to anyone and everyone who will listen. Their entire stable is awesome, though I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. The Two-Hearted Ale is a seasonal (like the outstanding Oberon) and I'm always disappointed when it disappears for the winter, but that makes more room in the fridge for the Expedition, Double Cream and Kalamazoo Stouts! They also make a Java Stout but I've never had it. Be sure to check out their Porter if you get the chance. That's a nice one on a cold, wintry night with a small Stagg or single malt by its side.

. The Two-Hearted Ale is a seasonal (like the outstanding Oberon) and I'm always disappointed when it disappears for the winter,

Year-round according to Bell's webpage for Two Hearted Ale. Picked up a case yesterday during a visit to Pennslyvania- I've been deprived of the stuff ever since I left the auto industry and no longer visit Detroit for beer, uh, I mean meetings and classes. I only wish Bell's would drop the "batch number" and go to a real date code one could read in store.

Year-round according to Bell's webpage for Two Hearted Ale. Picked up a case yesterday during a visit to Pennslyvania- I've been deprived of the stuff ever since I left the auto industry and no longer visit Detroit for beer, uh, I mean meetings and classes. I only wish Bell's would drop the "batch number" and go to a real date code one could read in store.

I stand corrected. I'm not sure when Two-Hearted Ale went year round, as it used to be a seasonal and would disappear, along with the Oberon, for many months, only to be greeted with great fanfare at the local pub when it returned. I've got a great place by me that has 28 beers on tap, virtually all of which are micros and interesting imports, and it's fun to sample the various Bell's brews side by side. Great stuff!

Last night a friend and I split lots of Belgian beers and had a great time. First up was the Hennepin Farmhouse Saison, followed by the Ommegang Abbey Ale. We then switched breweries and downed the Sprecher's Abbey Triple before returning to Ommegang's Three Philosophers Quadrupel. The grand finale was Gulden Draak (10.5% AVB) which had me walking home in a somewhat zig-zag fashion. Why I poured an Old Forester Signature after all that remains a mystery.:lol:

There are few things better than a Chocolate Stout on a dreary, damp and cold day. OK, it's not exactly cold here today...cool, let's say. But, it feels colder than 55. :rolleyes: Wuss...wuss...wuss...wuuussssyyyy! :o

This Ft. Collins Chocolate Stout will put hair on my chest, though! I've had better, but this is dang good and hitting the spot.

How true! Joe, check out Ommegang's Chocolate Indulgence some time if you haven't already. Really terrific!

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=7&ssnl=1

Holy Schnikies, Uncle!!! The notes they posted almost made me have to take a moment. Wow, that sounds good. Mrs. Smokinjoe loves dark chocolate, so maybe this will be doubly good! I've seen a few of the Ommegangs here, but I'm not sure I've seen the CI. My quest to find it begins tomorrow. Thanks for the rec.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.