ORVW 23 Year Old 114 Proof

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Buffalo Trace confirms that it was distilled at Stitzel-Weller and initially aged there, but finished aging at Buffalo Trace.

The whiskey was indeed distilled at S-W. The barrel proof was far lower and the 140s. One can't naturally assume anything regarding exit proof based on age. Depending upon barrel location any number of scenarios are possible. We actually added very little water to these barrels. That, coupled with the unfiltered component have produced a whiskey that we are very proud of.

As for the Old Rip Van Winkle name, it's the name of the company, the original brand name the the Van Winkle's used post S-W. It was a conscious decision to return to our roots when naming this brand.

I hope this has answered some questions rather that creating more. Cheers!

P. Van Winkle

Thanks, Preston, and good luck with this. Few whiskeys deserve the crystal decanter treatment. Yours does.

Thanks Preston. I am looking forward to this juice.

I like the ORVW name on the bottle for the reasons you mentioned. I like the historical value with a historical juice.

I wonder if Julian and Preston was searching the 23yo stocks for a Pappy 23 bottling and found this stuff and said it's not good enough for Pappy so let's call it Old Rip.

When was the last Pappy 23 released and when is/was the next Pappy 23 due out.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble (but it does seem to follow me) I'm just asking and btw I plan on buying at least 2 of these Old Rip 23's, so I have no vendetta.

I wonder if Julian and Preston was searching the 23yo stocks for a Pappy 23 bottling and found this stuff and said it's not good enough for Pappy so let's call it Old Rip.

When was the last Pappy 23 released and when is/was the next Pappy 23 due out.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble (but it does seem to follow me) I'm just asking and btw I plan on buying at least 2 of these Old Rip 23's, so I have no vendetta.

I'd like to think they wouldn't put it in crystal and charge more for it if that was the case. Maybe it was better, or just different than the typical Pappy23 flavor profile.

I'd like to think they wouldn't put it in crystal and charge more for it if that was the case. Maybe it was better, or just different than the typical Pappy23 flavor profile.

thats what i was thinking

• 3 weeks later...

My father and I went through every barrel of 23yr we had for this year and hand selected the best of the best barrels for the decanter. Since we haven't done anything "new" in a while, we wanted to do something fun for our loyal VW fans.

My father and I went through every barrel of 23yr we had for this year and hand selected the best of the best barrels for the decanter. Since we haven't done anything "new" in a while, we wanted to do something fun for our loyal VW fans.

Thanks Preston

I'm hoping to purchase this for my 50th birthday celebration, it sounds like you all worked hard on it. I'm thankful you and your father post on here from time to time I wish other important people in the distilling business did as well. It might make for better relations and understanding when there are major changes.

This just turned it into a must have. Saving pennies.

That's a great bit of lore, and it certainly adds to the attraction. The price is crazy, even for the bottle and the presentation. I can't wait to see tasting notes from board members. This might be one where several members split a bottle just to say "yeah, I tried that!"

It will be interesting to see whether the Van Winkles can push the ceiling of a current bottle to $350.

During the 1980s, distilleries that were still technically open might not run a batch for a year or more. Let's say you're Stitzel-Weller and you're in one of those long dark periods when projections say you need a few hundred more newly filled barrels than you have. What makes more sense? Start your own distillery to run one batch? Or hire someone who is active to do one batch of wheated bourbon for you?

Especially if, as was the case with S-W and BT during the early 80s, you're both distilleries were owned by the same company.

Especially if, as seems to have been the case a quarter century ago, BT either produced on contract or sold overstock to other distilleries. In his 1997 Complete Book of Whisky (I may not have the title fully straight), Jim Murray points out that whenever they needed extra stocks, Wild Turkey would augment theirs with juice from BT. He also in the same breath noted that the finished flagship bourbons of both distilleries were fairly similar. (In BT's case, this would have been Rye Recipe #2, the one used for AA, ETL, RHF, etc.)

It's December so who is selling these? It will make a great birthday gift for ME!

They haven't shipped out yet.

Yesterday I bumped into a BT sales rep at The Liquor Barn in Louisville and he said they will ship "next week."

They haven't shipped out yet.

Yesterday I bumped into a BT sales rep at The Liquor Barn in Louisville and he said they will ship "next week."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.