ORVW 23 Year Old 114 Proof

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Where are they available in Chicago and Houston? Can we get them online? I am in California and would love to get one of these.

Thanks,

Where are they available in Chicago and Houston? Can we get them online? I am in California and would love to get one of these.

Thanks,

Binny's in Chicago, don't know if they ship to Cali.

I've had a chance to taste this and anyone who likes Van Winkle bourbons won't be disappointed. It's all that, not over-wooded, and perhaps a bit on the mild side. The premise that this is some of the best of the remaining 23-year-old SW whiskey rings true.

I've had a chance to taste this and anyone who likes Van Winkle bourbons won't be disappointed. It's all that, not over-wooded, and perhaps a bit on the mild side. The premise that this is some of the best of the remaining 23-year-old SW whiskey rings true.

Cowdery your killin me - just when I had convinced myself to stand pat with the 23's I have in the bunker.

Cowdery your killin me - just when I had convinced myself to stand pat with the 23's I have in the bunker.

Maybe this will help. If you like your Pappy 23s, there is a good chance you will prefer them to the Old Rip 23. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the Old Rip is not as hit-you-over-the-head, which makes it good for the person who is buying it as a prestige gift for someone who is not necessarily a big bourbon drinker, as I think it would stand up favorably against a high end scotch, for example, but for somebody who really knows their bourbon, and really likes the Pappy 23, they might find they prefer the Pappy.

On the other hand, I have to say about this the same thing I said about the Rittenhouse 25, which is that it really tastes like nothing else. Though in this case there is something close, and that's the Pappy.

Ironically, the Pappy seems more flavorful even though the Old Rip is higher proof.

Well, dang! For the record, this is my first post in this thread, though I see it's not my first appearance!:bigeyes: I just stopped by here today innocently enough because I hadn't looked at it for awhile. I'll slink back away in a minute -- and drown my dejection is some Pappy 23 or something:grin:.

Best I can tell, in case you were wondering (I sure was!), this is the only instance I can find where I posted in the same thread as my naysayer:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=188936&postcount=2

I DID answer his question? I guess I just misinterpreted this part:

...Opionins would be great!

:skep:

And, thanks very much to the several of you who came to my defense. :thankyousign: It's much appreciated.

If you are in California, the 23 year decanter will unfortunately not arrive until December 22nd-23rd. Just in time for Xmas.

Cheers,

Julian

I've been a good boy, but Santa may not have thought so...plus I think the recession has hit him hard, up there in the North Pole.

On another note--and maybe this has been covered already--am I correct in seeing that it has a cork closure together with a separate crystal topper? I noticed a cork material dialog in a different thread, but wouldn't it be nice if something like this just had synthetic cork material embedded into the crystal top? I'm for what's inside the bottle, first and foremost, but the aesthetics of a bottle are also pleasurable when drinking from it.

I picked up 2 in Chi-Town today, among other goodies.
If you are in California, the 23 year decanter will unfortunately not arrive until December 22nd-23rd. Just in time for Xmas.

Cheers,

Julian

Mr. Van Winkle, if you ever find yourself up here in the Mitten I'd love to have a pour of this with you.

Cheers,

Julian

Perfect timing. Thanks.

IMHO, I would propose a SB group boycott on any bourbon priced over $150, but I now know we have members with more money than sense.

IMHO, I would propose a SB group boycott on any bourbon priced over $150, but I now know we have members with more money than sense.

Don't you mean more dollars than cents?:grin:

:skep: Hey, I resemble that remark!:slappin:

If you can't get ORVW 23yo 114prf at your local store there is always eBay.

3 are listed now, 2 for $550.00 and 1 for $999.00 but that one includes free shipping.

One week later and I already feel ahead of the game for the 2 I got at $350.00 each.

If you can't get ORVW 23yo 114prf at your local store there is always eBay.

3 are listed now, 2 for $550.00 and 1 for $999.00 but that one includes free shipping.

One week later and I already feel ahead of the game for the 2 I got at $350.00 each.

LOL...I saw that. No way I'd even entertain the idea. I think this will be a valuable collectible at some point, but I wouldn't even spend that much on a Hirsch 20 yr. $100 is my general limit. But I may make an exception if I stumble across one of these. I'd like to give it as a gift for a friend from KY that will retire from the Navy next year.

I really had to think long and hard yesterday when I went to Binny's. I wanted to get a bottle of the ORVW 23 in the worst way. I opted for getting a case of Weller 12 and a bottle of Blanton's for about the same price. I probably will kick myself in the future, but for now I'm very happy with a bunker full of Binny's Weller 12. I think that I now have enough Weller 12 to last me a very long time. Like I said, I'm still a happy camper. Joe

I really had to think long and hard yesterday when I went to Binny's. I wanted to get a bottle of the ORVW 23 in the worst way. I opted for getting a case of Weller 12 and a bottle of Blanton's for about the same price. I probably will kick myself in the future, but for now I'm very happy with a bunker full of Binny's Weller 12. I think that I now have enough Weller 12 to last me a very long time. Like I said, I'm still a happy camper. Joe

Joe,

This is where I am as well. I do want to try the ORVW 23, but Iam going to have a hard time sporting for it...

Joe,

This is where I am as well. I do want to try the ORVW 23, but Iam going to have a hard time sporting for it...

this is where i am, too. after i finally had a taste of the Pappy 23, my response was, this is great, but no way it's 3-4 times better than Pappy 20. I'd love a taste of it, but a bottle i just can't afford and can't think of ponying up for it when i could get three to four bottles of great pours or year plus of everyday pours.

Jeez, I'm still trying to find one and here are people saying that they have two. Anybody see this in MD or even DC?

...after i finally had a taste of the Pappy 23, my response was, this is great, but no way it's 3-4 times better than Pappy 20. I'd love a taste of it, but a bottle i just can't afford and can't think of ponying up for it when i could get three to four bottles of great pours or year plus of everyday pours.

I think this is where almost all of us end up, though we all take our own circuitous and personalized routes to get there.

I've had the pleasure of tasting Stitzel-Weller/Old Fitzgerald whiskey which became Pappy 23 uncut from the barrel on a couple of occasions. Wow! It's a treat that history will soon put to rest. Would I have paid $325 to do it? Almost certainly not! Others would have, surely, but that's beyond my grasp (or what's a Heaven for?)

That said, I'm in no way indicating that I think it's not worth its asking price. In today's moment in time, when Stitzel-Weller whiskey is fading from existence, it may be the last, best chance to appreciate its historical excellence and significance -- IF you haven't already had that chance. Fortunately, I matured (legally, anyway:skep:) before this one was even distilled, and have enjoyed some brethren created even before me. Had I not, I might also be clamoring to purchase this bottling.

I realize, too, that it won't be long before today's bourbon biz will have passed me by. I don't go out and purchase EVERY new bottling anymore -- or even very many of them -- and so I miss some bourbons I'm sure I'd enjoy immensely (I do sample, once in a while, on a whim and a prayer:grin:). My hope is that someday enough time will have passed that the 'bug' may bite again, and then maybe some of today's 'must-get' bottlings will seem worth pursuing anew.

In the meantime, I'm not worrying too much about what other people are tasting that I'm not. I just enjoy what I want, which has its own pleasure.

Tim, I thank you for your great perspective. Truthfully, i WOULD LOVE to try some of this history, I'm just at a point where I have a limited bourbon budget. If this year hadn't been as hard as it was, i might sneak this treat for myself. But right now, a choice between one bottle of this and bunker multiple bottles of other delicious stuff (including the Pappy 20, which i can't imagine having too many more years of SW stocks left) isn't a choice.

I think this is where almost all of us end up, though we all take our own circuitous and personalized routes to get there.

I've had the pleasure of tasting Stitzel-Weller/Old Fitzgerald whiskey which became Pappy 23 uncut from the barrel on a couple of occasions. Wow! It's a treat that history will soon put to rest. Would I have paid $325 to do it? Almost certainly not! Others would have, surely, but that's beyond my grasp (or what's a Heaven for?)

That said, I'm in no way indicating that I think it's not worth its asking price. In today's moment in time, when Stitzel-Weller whiskey is fading from existence, it may be the last, best chance to appreciate its historical excellence and significance -- IF you haven't already had that chance. Fortunately, I matured (legally, anyway:skep:) before this one was even distilled, and have enjoyed some brethren created even before me. Had I not, I might also be clamoring to purchase this bottling.

I realize, too, that it won't be long before today's bourbon biz will have passed me by. I don't go out and purchase EVERY new bottling anymore -- or even very many of them -- and so I miss some bourbons I'm sure I'd enjoy immensely (I do sample, once in a while, on a whim and a prayer:grin:). My hope is that someday enough time will have passed that the 'bug' may bite again, and then maybe some of today's 'must-get' bottlings will seem worth pursuing anew.

In the meantime, I'm not worrying too much about what other people are tasting that I'm not. I just enjoy what I want, which has its own pleasure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.