What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well with the shortest day of the year and the holidays upon us it is time to start a new thread. The Winter Lagers and Holiday beers are out now. So what are you drinking to stay warm on a cold winters night?

I myself am enjoying a Beligain Ale Kasteel Donker Strong Ale weighing in at 11% ABV. Simply an outstanding beer. There is enough carbonation that it fizzes like Coke a Cola. Any similarity stops there though. Dark brown colored with a medium beige head. Aroma of roasted malts and candy sugar. Taste is also roasted malt, with a sweet aftertaste of candy sugars in it. Light caramel, and some notes of spice. The Bubbles and foam cling to the glass and leave a line with each sip. The Packers have made the playoffs so I think a Delirium Nocturnum at 9% ABV is going to be up next to celebrate.

Stone IPA. Man I love IPAs.

The dogfish head brewery is right up the road, and they've got me hooked on hops. I know a lot of people think they overdo it, but that's how I like it! Must be why Stagg neat is one of my favorites. A real kick to the face!

Drinking a Red Hook Winter Hook beer tonight. First tried it at the brewery in Woodinville last year; I will look forward to this offering each winter.

Today all I had was a Rolling Rock and a Stella Atoris with a Bloody Mary. Happy New Year Everyone!

On tap I currently have a belgian dark strong, a russian imperial stout, a blend of 4 Lost Abbey barrel aged beers, a very hoppy IPA and a hoppy red ale.

Looking to get a chest freezer so I can expand from 5 taps to 10 or 11 taps, all homebrew.

Buddies and I got a Heaven Hill barrel and are now in the process of picking a brew schedule to fill it up with an RIS and let it age for 6 months. make our own bourbon RIS!

I did have a few micro beers at one of my favourite bars Oliver Twist in Stockholm Wednesday before going on a cruise. One of them was Titan IPA that I normally like a lot, but not this time. It had a bad side taste somewhat sweetish of yeast and the hops were very discrete. I have had the exact same problem ones with my Swedish favourite IPA Amarillo from the now closed ölands brewery. I think both were slightly infected. Last but not least I had my all time favourite beer Gordon’s IPA from Oscar Blouse brewery for the first time in a long time. It was so expansive that my lady and I shared it and we both thought it was amazing.

Leif

I'm working my way through a case of Founders Breakfast Stout.

Outstanding!

I just had one of the Kirkland Signature (Costco) Amber Ale. Like the others I have tasted from this assortment, it is superb. These are some of the best beers I have ever had, not even considering the reasonable price.

Tim

Beer news:

http://www.nrc.nl/international/article2456216.ece/Heineken_acquires_Mexican_brewery_for_3.8_bln

Heineken is the Netherlands' largest brewer. Photo Bloomberg

Heineken acquires Mexican brewery for 3.8 bln

Published: 11 January 2010 16:56 | Changed: 11 January 2010 16:56

By our news staff

The Dutch multinational Heineken has purchased the Mexican brewer Femsa Cerveza for 3.8 billion euros.

Tecate, Dos Equis, Sol and others.

I like Dos Equis and Tecate...have not tried Sol.

Lots of beers going down lately. Lately I've had Stone Levitation, a bunch of Magic Hat from their Winter mixed pack, some Ramstein Winter Wheat, Smutty Nose Porter, IPA, and Pale Ale.

All in all lots of good beers. Out of all I was really impressed by Stone Levitation. A very nice Pale Ale with a great full bodied hop profile. I was quite shocked to see it was only 4.4 %. Highly recommended if you want a hop bomb but are not looking for a higher alcohol percentage.

Had some good beers in New York recently including a pumpkin stout from a brewery called Fisherman which was very good. I preferred it a little sweeter and added some Imperial stout to do that: it hardly affected the pumpkin spices but added to the velvety richness. Generally I don't go in for unusually flavored beers but this was a winner.

Another: Smuttynose IPA from Massachusetts. This had a big Amarillo hop character that was complex and orange-like, really good (not raw and grapefruit pith-like many APAs are).

Finally, Sierra Nevada Wet Hop ale. I was skeptical of the wet hop concept (because I had read hops should be properly dried before use) but this converted me. The complex hops flavors melded into the malt in a unique way. Grand cru stuff.

Gary

Stone IPA. Man I love IPAs.

Amen! Stone, Southern Tier and Sierra Nevada are my all time favorite brands when it comes to IPA's.

I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric

I had a Saranac maple porter earlier, part of their 12 beers of winter mix pack. Pretty good, IMO. I couldnt pick up the maple, but there was definitely coffee, chocolate and a bit of smoke. They should sell that label by itself!

Eric

I did have a Saranac imperial stout at Oliver Twist in Stockholm last week Eric. I must say that I wasn’t impressed at all. Very light body despite almost 10% alcohol. Must have bin a big part of sugar in that mash.

Leif

Saranac is sort of hit and miss with their products. Their Pale Ale and IPA are ok, good for summertime when its hot outside and you're in the mood for something other than water. It's definitely better than Bud or Coors Light IMO. Their Black and Tan wasn't too bad either, but alot of their beers seem thin and watery to me, sometimes metallic.

As I've seen suggested for Sam Adams, I think Saranac would benefit from cutting back their portfolio, if you will, by a 1/3 or more and concentrate on improving a dozen or so labels.

Eric

Domaine DuPage, a French-style Biere de Garde ale, from the Two Brothers Brewing Company in the western suburbs of Chicago. Very nice flavor and made me think spring may just get here after all. Bottoms up, to that!

Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary

Leif, I would think you know Carnegie Porter and Sinebrychoff Porter (the latter from Finland as you know). I doubt any American Imperial porter can exceed these, especially the Koff.

Gary

Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....

Sampled the Ninkasi "Total Domination" IPA recently - really liked it. Has a slight edge over Deschutes "Inversion", which had been my "go to" IPA.

Had the 2009 Trader Joe's beer... much better than the beer site reviews. Worth the $5 for a $750 easy....

I thought the same. Good beer, good value.

The other day I went to Rattle and Hum in NYC for a couple of pints. Had a Green Flash West Coast IPA first. Very nice, typical IPA.

While I was drinking that I noticed that they had about four beers on cask. I selected a Blue Point Sour Cherry Stout. I was a bit nervous about the sour cherry but it was very nice. I think I liked it more because it was on cask, very smooth. The cherry flavor was present in the nose but not the taste. Over all a nice beer.

Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...

Last night was Hurculees Double IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I really like the AG and need to pick up some Bouble Bastard...

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 L of each of those? I kept meaning to grab one and now I know they are getting thin...

Anyhow... both great beers...

I really like the bubble Hercules Emerald, and I did have it both on tap and bottle in September on Stockholm beer and whisky festival. I did like it much more on tap despite being the same beer. It has been quit a long time since we had it in our government store (the 2008) and I am really looking forward for it to come again. The arrogant bastard on the other hand doesn’t impress that much on me.

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.