What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Victory V-12 - a Belgian style quad - good not great, not as great as real Belgian Quads such as Achel, Chimay, or Rochefort

Bellhaven Scottish Ale - nitrogen can and pours like a burgundy boddinton's, but better and a hint of sweetness and creamy. One of my new fav beers to just hang out with.

Lost Abbey Judgement Day - a quad from Oregon - I expecetd fireworks, it was a good beer, the alcohol came through a bit and it was spicier than I expected it to be.

Hobgoblin Dark English Ale - a solid brew, nice to have onhand as a house beer to serve to guests.

Ommegang Abbey Ale - for price this is a nice beer, a bit wine-like, but solid

Goose Island Mild Winter Ale. Appropriate, given the mild winter we've had so far.

Craig

I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.:grin:

Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!

Enjoyed the Hoppin' Frog Whisky Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. Imperial Stout last night. Let me tell ya, there's a reason this stuff was named one of the 50 best beers in the WORLD. It was incredibly complex, tons of coffee and chocolate. Rare, but if you can find it, buy it!

That sure sounds good but I'm sure I've never seen it. I'll have to keep a lookout for it.

Kilt Tilter Scotch Ale at Liberty Street Brewing in Plymouth. Creamy smooth and malty! I wish they'd have this year round.

Last night I hung at New Holland. Dragon's Milk, Pilgrims Pole, Mad Hatter, and Cabin Fever. Delicious evening. :grin:

Last night had some local NJ beers. River Horse Belgian Freeze and Ramstein Winter Wheat. I'm beginning to really enjoy both of those. After that had a Red Hook ESB (very nice, malty?) and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout for desert!

Regular Guiness. The Anthony Bourdain in Ireland episode got me itching for this and I'm loving it. It's a beer that tastes like cofee in a good way.

When in New York recently, I ran into Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout again. I really like the combination of stout and pumpkin beer flavours. At home, in the absence of a purpose-made pumpkin stout, I made my own. I combined 2/3rds a local craft stout and 1/3rd MacAuslan Pumpkin Ale from Montreal. I'm just loving the blending, it is very close to Fisherman's version or perhaps better. You can taste the gourd-like taste of the pumpkin beer but against a mild dark roasted palate highlighted with pumpkin pie spicing. Of the many innovations offered by micro-brewing I find this one of the best. And yet, really it is a spiced porter which probably is a very old idea. Everything old is new again.

Gary

Yesterday at a local commercial-oriented pub, Czechvar on draft, the Czech beer that is called Budweiser Budvar in certain markets. I gather it is getting increased distribution in North America, via I believe InBev.

The beer was super-fresh and had that inimitable flavour that combines Saaz hops with Moravian barley malt but with a twist unique to this brewery, which I would characterize as a vinous, white wine-like taste. This is one classy beer. There are some pilsener-style beers in North America that are as good IMO including ones made by Stoudt and Victory but this Czech original sets a high standard indeed.

Gary

Had the 2009 Vintage Left Hand oak-aged Imperial stout last night...soooo good. Hit up the a specialty store in Charleston today for the very limited (only 50 bottles, 1 per person) Founders Reserve Breakfast Stout today. Super rare stout that is aged in used bourbon barrels, THEN aged in used maple syrup barrels. My buddy got number 47, I got number 48...glad i didnt get there 5 minutes later! I'll post about it when I decide to crack it, may be a very special occasion brew :lol:

I just had one of the Kirkland Signature (Costco) Amber Ale. Like the others I have tasted from this assortment, it is superb. These are some of the best beers I have ever had, not even considering the reasonable price.

Tim

Tim, I picked up a case of this last week on your recommendations, and am working my way through them. I agree with you, they really are quite good. My case was $18. I have really been enjoying the Amber Ale and the German Lager particularly.

It's a cold, rainy, dreary day here in California - so I am sitting down by the fire reading Craft of Whiskey Distilling by Bill Owens and enjoying a

Yorkshire Stingo Ale from Sam Smith -- dark and rich with slight toffee, dried fruit and a very little oak taste.

Enjoying Terrapins the Dark Side at the moment...been on such a imperial stout kick lately. Ehh, the passion will fade once the weather starts gettin warmer, so may as well enjoy em :lol:

Bell's Hopslam, which apparently survived the Tuesday contest (and it really is no contest; I am very disappointed with the current version of New Albanian's Hoptimus), followed by New Albanian's Bonfire of the Valkyries.

Guess where I am, Timothy.

Tonight I hope to make it to Flanagan's in Louisville for the C1 event, but we'll see how it goes.

I almost picked up this beer today at Trader Joe's. How is it? By the way, our winter has been anything but mild, with loads of snow and extended periods of sub-freezing temps. I've had to drink lots of high octane juice this winter to keep the old bones warm.:grin:

Highly recommended! Fairly rich, but not really heavy. We've had another blast of cold after several very mild weeks. Maybe I'm not drinking enough of it...

craig

Welcoming the Weekend with a Bell's Hopslam, followed by a Fat Tire. Talk about two very different beers. Not sure I drank them in the right order, but I enjoyed them both. The Hopslam is really wonderful.

I enjoyed the Hopslam a lot. It may require developing a tolerance for, I mean an appreciation of heavily hopped beers. It was surprisingly smooth and drinkable considering the hop impact and the high alcohol. I got a lot of grapefruit.

Nugget Nectar from Troeg's. It's been a while since I had this one. MIGHTY TASTY!! Kind of like a DFH 90 minute, with all the hop flavor, without the sweetness.

Well IPA's are big in the frig this weekend. Smuttnose IPA, 2 from Lagunitas> Maximus which is way up on the hoppy scale and Lil sumthin Extra. The latter of the two is King. I also cracked open a Meantime India Pale. bottle conditioned. Man I love bottle conditioned beers. I also had a Imperail Russian stout and and Imperial India Pale Ale from the Grumpy Troll brew house in Mount Horeb, WI. Fresh berr gotta love it!

I'm welcoming 5:00 with an Atlanta Brewing Company's Red Brick 15th Anniversary Ale. This Special Release is their regular Brown Ale that has been aged 13 months in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels. Mighty delicious. Very creamy, but not syrupy, and nicely carbonated. A subtle sweetness that I think is a result of the PVW barrel interaction. Very, very nice. I don't drink a lot of the Atlanta Brewing's beers, as I gravitate more towards Sweetwater as my home town fave. But, I'll definitely be exploring their regular offerings more, after this.

One of my highlights of the year is the release of the new SN celebration ale at our government store. That was February 1, but I did not have the beer until today. Very heavy and good as usual and a terrific food beer totally different from SNs other normal strength IPA torpedo. I did also have one of my favourite Swedish normal strength porters that also were a new release. ½ idjit from Dugges in Gothenburg that has a very special liquorish house stile on there dark beers.

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.