What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a couple of draft Stella Artois' with lunch yesterday at a new place in town. The Hard Knock Grill.

On the way home I picked up a six of Arcadia London Porter.

I was in luck, they had some on the shelf not in the cooler.

Bitter when cold, just right at room temperature.

After reading Craig's description, I picked up a six-pack of the Sierra Nevada Glissade today. A very nice beer. Exactly as Craig described.

Must be some SB telepathy out there as I too bought this yesterday and hadn't even read these posts. Really good on its own and with chicken mole enchiladas.

Here on the first full day of spring (or was it yesterday), after several unusually nice weeks, we seem to have regressed - it is cold and windy and wet. So a heavy, dark beer was called for - I chose a Rogue chocolate stout. Extremely satisfying.

Craig

I'm still working on a 6pk of Sierra Nevada Big Foot. I put two away for aging. In hopes of warm, sunny weather I picked up a 6pk of Lagunitas Maximus. This is a very easy drinking IPA with a nice touch of sweetness. I sampled a single bottle a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Can't wait to session 2 or 3 bottles.

I've had a bad cold/flu for the last 4 days or so and today I'm actually feeling a little better, so I broke out a Tetley's English Ale. It's a nice start that I hope ends with some bourbon tonight.

Sierra Nevada "Sierra" 30th Anniversary Stout. A nice beer. Silky. Very dark. Flavorful, but not something I would consider spectacular. I do like that it is not overly sweet. What is spectacular is the head on this beer. I have never seen a thicker and more dense foam on any beer. It's actually kinda cool to look at. It reminds me of that "Great Stuff" foam insulation in the can. I'm half-tempted to drop things into the glass to see how much weight the head will support. :crazy:

Can't wait to try the SN 30th Stout (aka Fritz and Ken's Ale). What's even more attractive about is it that it's only $9.99 .. Well, as long as people aren't price gouging anyways.

While at one of my accounts today they recieved some Kentucky Breakfast Stout by Founders of Grand Rapids Michigan.

Sam, the owner of the store took the 3 cases he recieved and immediatly put them out of sight behind the counter.

"What's up with that I asked?", he said that these were in great demand and he was saving them for special customers.

This stout was aged in used bourbon barrels for a year.

It retails for $22.00 plus sales tax and deposit for a 12oz 4-pack.

Anyone out there ever try it?

While at one of my accounts today they recieved some Kentucky Breakfast Stout by Founders of Grand Rapids Michigan.

Sam, the owner of the store took the 3 cases he recieved and immediatly put them out of sight behind the counter.

"What's up with that I asked?", he said that these were in great demand and he was saving them for special customers.

Ya it's great and very popular... With some places gouging as much as $9 per 12oz bottle. It's pricey, but I'd recommend trying it. It's one of the most popular annual releases of a barrel aged beer. If stores don't hide it or limit it to a 1-2 bottle or 1-2 4 pack limit, someone will walk in and buy it all, and most stores only got like 3-4 cases unless they're a really good account.

If I find another 4 pack, I'd pick it up for next winter.

If stores don't hide it or limit it to a 1-2 bottle or 1-2 4 pack limit, someone will walk in and buy it all, and most stores only got like 3-4 cases unless they're a really good account.

OK Gentlemen, here's where there are 3 cases of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Prospect Party Store

617 North Prospect Rd

Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Tell Sam that Oscar the Corn Cognac Connoisseur told you about it!:cool:

He'll know.

OK Gentlemen, here's where there are 3 cases of the Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Prospect Party Store

617 North Prospect Rd

Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Tell Sam that Oscar the Corn Cognac Connoisseur told you about it!:cool:

He'll know.

Thanks my man!:cool:

Corn Cognac I like that. I am familiar with Ypsilanti.

Thanks for the tip.

Yesterday I drank a handfull of Big Boss' Bad Penny while playing golf. Beer was damn tasty! My round on the other hand...:rolleyes:

We get a draft beer from the famed Fuller's brewery in England called ESB. It is dispensed on a hand pump but is not real ale, it is regular (filtered) draft beer but less carbonated than normal. I really like it, it has a big English hop flavor, a not-too-sweet barley/caramel taste and hits the spot. Similar to any good American Pale Ale (there are many fine ones) but the English hops in particular seem to put their own stamp on it.

Gary

For those really interested in this KBS, be sure to check out Goose Islands

Bourbon County Stout. It's pretty widely distributed as it's uses Annheuser-Bush's distro chain .. And the bourbon is a bit hotter than the KBS. They also have a Bourbon County Stout Rare coming out this year that was aged in 23 yo PVW barrels ... It'll be pricey though, but should be awesome.

The New Albanian Brewing Company has done a strange thing: they've produced two beers with a single malt (same for each) and a single hop (different). I guess the idea is to allow us to get a clear picture of the contribution of the specific hop. Or maybe they were running low on ingredients.

They were served unchilled, but I had no problem with that. The Amarillo hops beer clearly had more of that grapefruit taste one associates with beers heavy on the Pacific Northwest hops.

I should have had the Centennial-hopped beer first, because it just tasted like "less" after the Amarillo.

So, unfortunately, does this SNPA I'm having now. Time to go home.

This is weird - I have been to two different restaurants in the past few days that were having specials on beer for $1.50. That is less than they charge for a soft drink or a glass of iced tea. At one of them, it was on domestics and I just had a Bud. But, at the other one they were running a special on tacos and any Mexican beer they had, so I had a Dos Equis Dark. Dern good beer for $1.50! Tim

Sometimes only a can will do - like when you're at Talladega Speedway or on the beach or at some other outdoor event where glass bottles aren't allowed.

My latest two-beer progression for outdoors is Dale's Pale Ale (cans) then Lagunitas Maximus. Warm weather and yard work made me go looking for beer in a can. Not sure why. I've resisted cans for years.

Fuller's London Porter and then Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, shared with a friend. Both excellent and quite different in style, the former was rich-tasting, malty, with a licorice-like finish; the other was dryish, slightly fruity, with an incisive hop note, almost like a dry raspberry milkshake if that makes any sense. Old world and new, both very valid.

Gary

I've recently been drinking Deschutes North West Pale Ale, aka Red Chair NWPA. It is excellent. Rich and hoppy without the edges or bitterness that can come with a full out IPA. Apparently this is its first year of production and available Jan thru April.

Randy

I've recently been drinking Deschutes North West Pale Ale, aka Red Chair NWPA. It is excellent. Rich and hoppy without the edges or bitterness that can come with a full out IPA. Apparently this is its first year of production and available Jan thru April.

Randy

They ran that first back in the fall only in 22oz bottles, I believe as their Bond Street series, and apparently had enough success to go further with it. Personally, I didn't like it, but for the reasons you mentioned; I typically want more notable hop characteristics in an IPA type beer which as you say brings along some bitterness. I found it to be much like Mirror Pond.

I've discovered some local stuff Surly and Summit which are very good. Also 21st amendment which I was told is a San Francisco brewery that opened up a shop in Minneapolis. Their Brew Free or die IPA is very good.

Also, one from Oregon that apparently came out after I left is Widmer Deadlift IPA and it is extraordinary!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.