Four Roses 17-year-old Limited Edition Single Barrel 2010 release

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses is releasing a 17-year-old barrel strength, non-chill filtered single barrel bourbon to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the opening of the distillery building in Lawrenceburg, KY.

It will be out early April, read more about it here http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/03/08/four-roses-100th-anniversary-limited-edition-bourbon-celebrates-distillerys-100-years/

We've been tasting it this afternoon, it is amazing with a luscious candied fruit flavor..sharing our review of it here - http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/03/08/reviewfour-roses-100th-anniversary-limited-edition-single-barrel-17-year-old-bourbon-review/

If you love Four Roses, recommend you get on the list for this now at your local fine spirits store because they are only releasing about 2,300 bottles.

Cheers!

That sounds terrific.

Question with around 2300 bottles. Does this mean their will be 10 or so different 17yr old single barrels for the 100th Anniversary? With each barrel producing between 200 to 240 bottles per barrel?

I really think Four Roses should thank us for their increase in profits and popularity, and give us a discount on these 'limited edition...'. As much as I love their bourbon, I just can't keep paying upwards of a $100 for every new thing that comes out.

That sounds terrific.

Question with around 2300 bottles. Does this mean their will be 10 or so different 17yr old single barrels for the 100th Anniversary? With each barrel producing between 200 to 240 bottles per barrel?

At 17 years old and barrel strength, it's more likely that they'll get somewhere around 100 bottles per barrel.

Thank you Timothy. I still have that wine knowledge in my head that just pops out whenever it wants. So if its going to be a single barrel then there is going to be many different barrels. Would this be correct?

I've yet to be "wow'ed" by a bottle of four roses. I've tried everything but mariage..... Is that where I've went wrong?

on that note....can someone please send me a sample? I have much to return the favor.

I really think Four Roses should thank us for their increase in profits and popularity, and give us a discount on these 'limited edition...'. As much as I love their bourbon, I just can't keep paying upwards of a $100 for every new thing that comes out.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' we're gonna be looking at more than $65 for an SB @ 17 y/o. Of course, like the Rutledge fanboy I am, I'm sure I'll buy at least 2.:rolleyes:

I've yet to be "wow'ed" by a bottle of four roses. I've tried everything but mariage..... Is that where I've went wrong?

I would suggest counseling.:lol:

i really want to like the ones I've tried. 1 bottle of current single barrel (1 waiting for a trade.....). 1 bottle a few years ago. 1 bottle of small batch from a year or so ago. and one yellow label within the past 8 months.

i really want to like the ones I've tried. 1 bottle of current single barrel (1 waiting for a trade.....). 1 bottle a few years ago. 1 bottle of small batch from a year or so ago. and one yellow label within the past 8 months.

I am right there with you -- I like 4R, but have never loved anything I've had . . . I wanna love it, but I have to be happy just to like it.

You're not alone. When 4R became available in Oregon last year, I bought a bottle of the SB. It was good, but I guess my expectations were too high...

I would hope that this wouldn't be any more than the retail price of Stagg. Am I totally naive?

SMOWK, funknik, and Corvallis Cracker,

Before you write-off Four Roses do yourself a favor and try a Barrel Strength SB or a 2009 Mariage. I agree with you guys in saying the 4R Yellow Label, Small Batch, and Single Barrel are okay, but they don't do much for me either.

However, the two Barrel Strength SB offerings I've had (can't remember the exact recipes, but liked both) and the 2009 Mariage really take it to the next level. Excellent bourbon indeed.

You're not alone. When 4R became available in Oregon last year, I bought a bottle of the SB. It was good, but I guess my expectations were too high...

Four roses is like this: My wife got me a bottle of 2008 mariage, and it's one of the best damn whiskies I ever done drunk. I went out and bought a bottle of Small Batch and Single barrel thinking that they would be at least half as amazing, and I really had to force myself to drink through the single barrel (as opposed to something else that was sitting in my cupboard and much, much more delicious), and the small batch is STILL in there. The small batch especially reminded me of Four Roses' version of, say, Russel's Reserve 90 proof. It would probably be awesome for the beginner who wants to try a "good," moderately expensive bourbon, but I just couldn't enjoy it.

Someone awesome (by the way, if you're reading this I lied: your bourbon hasn't gone out yet but I've included a bonus! Deepest apologies) sent me a small sample of the 2009 mariage, and I found that one to be excellent as well. I'd probably have to work my way through most of a bottle to miss it as much as I WILL miss my 2008 mariage when it is all gone (I'd like another at some point). Thankfully, it still seems relatively easy to get from some online retailers.

My basic caveat here though, is this: Single barrels are awesome, but they suck. Elephant-sized suck, in fact. ESPECIALLY from four roses! The bottle I got wasn't so great, but it doesn't mean that a bottle from a different mashbill from a different warehouse using a different yeast wouldn't be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. Unfortunately, I don't really want to spend the money to buy a single bottle of every damn recipe four roses put out, so I'm not really sure if I absolutely LOVE OBSK OR OBSV OR OBSQ OR EXYZZB. For the most part I like high rye spicy and somewhat sweet bourbons. I suppose if I took the time to sample each of the recipes, I'd know which ones I loved, and purchase recipe-labeled bottles from a retailer who did that sort of thing. I'd just stay clear of a single barrel that didn't tell me what the recipe was, and all would be good in the world.

So that's the story of the southern belle and the corsage. Apparently it happened ten times, and only once or twice were the roses absolutely beautiful and full (for me at least).

Questions on the review: How much oak, tannin or wood?

Do we know why this specific set of barrel "did not mature" as they expect?

Would be great if they bottle this at barrel strength!! Wonder if SB can get a barrel and bottle this cask strength?!! :)

Have you tried any of the barrel-strength limited edition single barrels? I missed the last, but the first two were remarkable.

Unfortunately, I don't really want to spend the money to buy a single bottle of every damn recipe four roses put out, so I'm not really sure if I absolutely LOVE OBSK OR OBSV OR OBSQ OR EXYZZB.

The two stores I've been to that carry Barrel Strength SB's have had open bottles so that you can sample before you purchase. I think someone said Binny's does the same. Next time you're in your local shop, try asking for a taste.

Four Roses is just making it's way back through Maryland. I have yet to see any of the barrel proofers or Mariage on any shelf, anywhere.

Four Roses is just making it's way back through Maryland. I have yet to see any of the barrel proofers or Mariage on any shelf, anywhere.

They don't stay on the shelves long. These are limited releases, and most places they disappear quickly. Occasionally someone will find one on a shelf a few months after the release date, but that's rare.

I eagerly await the 17 yr 4R. But it will be a limited edition and command a high price at the retail level.

I've always enjoyed the the entire line of 4R products. Every trip to Kentucky (and there have been many) isn't complete until I stock-up on some single barrels and limited editions.

To date all of the standard single barrel releases from 4R have come from one recipe only(OBSV), so don't think it is hit or miss when purchasing the non-recipe labeled product. You either like it (which I and many others most certainly do) or not .

Standard 4R product is in Maryland, but no special editions yet. Might be one on the way!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.