Four Roses 17-year-old Limited Edition Single Barrel 2010 release

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last Saturday I scored a whole gang of this bottle.

After I sorted it out amongst friends and associates I see that I have a couple to many.

If anyone out there in SB.com Land wants one or two just PM me.

Cost plus postage is all it'll take.

You can find it cheaper in retail than what they charged at the gift shop. I think the case I bought was about 67.00 a bottle with tax (maybe a bit more).

You can find it cheaper in retail than what they charged at the gift shop. I think the case I bought was about 67.00 a bottle with tax (maybe a bit more).
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

You got the Sal discount, I wasn't so lucky, plus I got more else where and they were a bit much.

Last Saturday I scored a whole gang of this bottle.

After I sorted it out amongst friends and associates I see that I have a couple to many.

If anyone out there in SB.com Land wants one or two just PM me.

Cost plus postage is all it'll take.

I should have posted this a few days ago, they be gone.

Thanx 4 the interest.

I finally got to sample this yesterday at Oscars and I really like it. The age shows through not as an abundance of wood, but as a delightful tannic dryness up front. The sweetness comes on later than other Four Roses expressions, but it is exactly what I hoped for when I found out that the 2010 bottling was 17 years old.

If you liked the dryness of the 2009 Mariage (Stu? Bernadette?) then this may be up your alley.

I finally got to sample this yesterday at Oscars and I really like it. The age shows through not as an abundance of wood, but as a delightful tannic dryness up front. The sweetness comes on later than other Four Roses expressions, but it is exactly what I hoped for when I found out that the 2010 bottling was 17 years old.

If you liked the dryness of the 2009 Mariage (Stu? Bernadette?) then this may be up your alley.

Could not agree more. A very delicious bottling.:grin:

as of yesterday there were still about a dozen bottles available at the Beaumont Liquor Barn in Lexington.

Rick

• 2 months later...

For those of you who haven't tried this yet....it is now my second most favorite bottling! I need more!!

For those of you who haven't tried this yet....it is now my second most favorite bottling! I need more!!

I am not impressed by this bottling and IMO the 120th as well as the single barrels done by the EBSG are far better. Don't get me wrong the 100th Anni is still a very nice expression of 4R's but one that won't find a place in the bunker form a "value" standpoint.

You can try it Saturday at Toms house!

Very Cool !!! Thanks !!!!

I am not impressed by this bottling and IMO the 120th as well as the single barrels done by the EBSG are far better IMO. Don't get me wrong the 100th Anni is still a very nice expression of 4R's but one that won't find a place in the bunker form a "value" standpoint.

This is what I am hearing from most....

EBSG? What does that stand for?

East Bay Study Group I had to think on this for a min myself.

I am not impressed by this bottling and IMO the 120th as well as the single barrels done by the EBSG are far better. Don't get me wrong the 100th Anni is still a very nice expression of 4R's but one that won't find a place in the bunker form a "value" standpoint.

I'm in agreement. Wasn't impressed with the 100th. Maybe it's just me, but I have a number of one off bottlings like EBSG and Julio's that I find are really great pours. Of the distillery releases, the 120th was my favorite. Ryan (Julio's) recently returned from KY and is working on a different FR expression that looks promising.

There are now so many "special edition" SB's released by Four Roses plus the SB's picked by third parties that it's difficult to keep track of them all. And with the variety of yeast/mashbill/age/proof combinations available, you can bet that each SE SB will likely find both a following and its group of detractors. I'm certain this is no surprise to Roger as he knows my likes and dislikes, but the EBSG SB that I have is not my favorite but Wade likes it alot. Personally, I'm kinda fond of the 40th Annv Release. No news in any of the above.

But with so many FR SE SB's coming out from a variety of sources, I've started losing interest in them.....particularly the "official" releases by FR. I'm confident I can now find a FR SE SB that I will enjoy without having to track down the lastest release, from FR or third parties, ...... because they just keep coming and coming. This isn't a complaint, just an observer's opinion that they've largely lost their cachet and I have no interest in paying any premiums for FR's "official" SE SB's.

Randy

Randy.... you are dead on.... now we will have another two yeast strains!! This is what makes bourbon so interesting.... I think the 40th is OK and really like the 120th.... to each our own. As you mentioned on another thread our palates do change and that adds another dimension to the mix depending on what we have eaten, how we feel, etc.

I guess in the end I really don't know what I like nor am I consistent in my tasting capability..... just a pedestrian palate that in all honesty likes pretty much any decent bourbon. But then again we would have nothing to talk about if we didn't keep slicing the salami thinner and thinner.....

So when are you headed to the DC area......

... This isn't a complaint, just an observer's opinion that they've largely lost their cachet and I have no interest in paying any premiums for FR's "official" SE SB's.

Randy

I was just saying the exact same thing to Joshua the other day. And, actually I think I have been saying it for a while now, no matter how many of these I taste, while they may be nice and different and all that. None of them wows me enough for the asking price. As you said, YMMV, but if I would have paid the asking prices I saw for Mariage I would have been, let's just say, disappointed.

I have gone from wanting more stuff from them < 3 years ago to being concerned now that the regular Single Barrel may suffer in quality and/or continue to climb in price because of all these other LEs.

...None of them wows me enough for the asking price. As you said, YMMV, but if I would have paid the asking prices I saw for Mariage I would have been, let's just say, disappointed...

Yeah, I'm fatigued in the same way about chasing Stitzels.

I get the pivotal moment in time that SW barrels and dusties are in right now (actually, it's at least the 4th pivotal moment, so far). What I don't get is, whenever finances force choices instead of choosing all, people who are chasing Four Roses and SW, because I don't think they're satisfying the same palate. But then again, I'd rather have an ND Grand Dad 114 over all but the very, very, very best Stitzels. Perhaps it's a rye thing - and Grand Dad and Four Roses have it.

I wish there had been the chance to procure some special bottlings of well aged, precious barrels of ND Grand Dad and Taylor and less focus on the wheaters, but Grand Dad and Taylor never had spokesmen as charismatic, determined, and praise-worthy as the Van Winkles are for their wheaters.

Four Roses is here, now, and delivering the good stuff like the closed down distilleries of yore we idolize. I want to support them here and now.

Roger

I think the truth is (for me anyway) the standard 10 whiskey mingling (or is it 11 - two are the same mashbill and yeast but entered at different proofs, something like that) is the best. And we get it in the form of Four Roses Yellow Label, where it is undeniably worthy but young. The longer age of the various LEs and private selections, and perhaps even of the regular SBs (which seem older than what is in Yellow Label), cries out for the same treatment. That would produce a superlative whiskey I believe. True, there is the Four Roses in the heavy decanter bottle that mingle from 2-4 of the separate whiskeys (Small Batch, Mariage), but I'd like to see one with the heavier, aged character of the 40th Anniversary, say, that mingles all ten. Where the whiskeys mingled are all from 10-12 years old, say.

Gary

Four Roses is here, now, and delivering the good stuff like the closed down distilleries of yore we idolize. I want to support them here and now.

Agreed. Like so many other instances in life the, "if only I knew then what I know now" thought has haunted me more times than I care to say.

But when it comes to Four Roses I do know today what I'll be glad I did tomorrow.

So I have bunkered plenty of the following by 4R's which I consider some of the best bourbon I have ever tasted;

2007 Rutledge 40th LE

2008 120th Ann LE

2008 Mariage

2009 Mariage

4R1B OBSK Binny's selection

4R1B OESO Binny's selection

But alas, I have only one bottle of the ledgedary Selected By And Bottled For Tony Curtis And Oscar V Hightower 4R1B.

Can anyone here hook me up?:cool:

I like all their product and for the LE stuff I'm particularity fond of the 120th and 2009Mariage.

But I'm a bit of a fanboy, wowed by their customer service and the variety of choices they offer that are consistently good while being different.

As for price fatigue, I would definitely buy more if I could get it for less. At the present level I have been buying 2 ea of the LE's and I hope to continue to want to do that.

Dawn what is your most fav? WLW?

You know it! 129.9!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.