Four Roses 17-year-old Limited Edition Single Barrel 2010 release

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As much as I love their bourbon, I just can't keep paying upwards of a $100 for every new thing that comes out.

I also think that the commemorative Four Roses bottlings are getting pricey. I really liked the ones I've tasted -- especially the 120th -- but question whether they're twice as satisfying as a Binny's/Party Source/K&L single barrel bottling.

That said, I'm not very logical about whiskey purchases, so I'll probably think twice about this new 2010 LE and then buy a bottle anyway. If past bottlings are any indication, once the 2010 LE is in my hands, I'll enjoy the contents and stop thinking about the price.

I also think that the commemorative Four Roses bottlings are getting pricey. I really liked the ones I've tasted -- especially the 120th -- but question whether they're twice as satisfying as a Binny's/Party Source/K&L single barrel bottling.

That said, I'm not very logical about whiskey purchases, so I'll probably think twice about this new 2010 LE and then buy a bottle anyway. If past bottlings are any indication, once the 2010 LE is in my hands, I'll enjoy the contents and stop thinking about the price.

The LE (40th, 120th, etc.) SB bottlings are generally older whiskey than the standard SB.

I got a sample of this and have just posted my review of it here.

Someone suggested that maybe some of us who get pre-release samples of these things should share. Unfortunately, the distilleries have gotten smart about that and are sending most advance samples in the small, plain bottles they use for lab reference. We're not getting whole bottles or even halves. Four Roses usually sends me 200 ml bottles. I had never seen a 100 ml bottle until this one arrived. They're cute, but they sure do get empty fast.

Thanks for the review Chuck. I'm not so sure I'll be picking up a bottle of this because I like to hear several other opinions before purchasing an expensive bottle. By the time people start tasting this I assume it'll be gone in KY. On the bright side it shouldn't crack the $100 barrier, John Hansell said it should be between $65 and $85.

Well Hansel said he enjoyed it and formal review is coming.

If I can get my grubby mitts on some it will be in the bunker.

I am right there with you -- I like 4R, but have never loved anything I've had . . . I wanna love it, but I have to be happy just to like it.

Same here. I finished a single barrel last night that was very good bourbon. I have a Mariage that's nearly empty and have yet to be 'wowed' by that one either. Don't get me wrong; I like 4R stuff. In my opinion, none of it is worth much over $40 and 09 Mariage is one of the most overpriced bottles I've ever had.

Smowk, if you're still looking for a sample, send me a PM.

Same here. I finished a single barrel last night that was very good bourbon. I have a Mariage that's nearly empty and have yet to be 'wowed' by that one either. Don't get me wrong; I like 4R stuff. In my opinion, none of it is worth much over $40 and 09 Mariage is one of the most overpriced bottles I've ever had.

I've had a couple bottles of the standard SB and to me it's just ok. I really like the 120th LE but of course, that was a different recipe.

Well, I love what they're doing. Great bourbon that ages differently than others, with more combinations than others. Also, putting cask strength bottles on the shelves at an affordable price. That's a big plus in my book. :grin:

Well, I love what they're doing. Great bourbon that ages differently than others, with more combinations than others. Also, putting cask strength bottles on the shelves at an affordable price. That's a big plus in my book. :grin:

No doubt. My trepidation regarding this new release should be in no way construed as hateration on 4R. I loves me some Four Roses, maybe a little too much which may be skewing my expectations.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone seen the 4R 17yo 100th Ann in a retail outlet yet?

I doubt MI is getting any.

So has anyone seen the 4R 17yo 100th Ann in a retail outlet yet?

I doubt MI is getting any.

They may have some yet at Cox's Creek, but the distillery gift shop had none on the shelf as of Saturday Noon. They said that some guy came in and "cleaned them out" and what they had left was just to cover pre-orders.

I was also told that it should be hitting retail in KY this week.

As far as Ohio goes, my sleuthing leads me to the conclusion that there will be no allocation in the Buckeye State. YMMV

They may have some yet at Cox's Creek, but the distillery gift shop had none on the shelf as of Saturday Noon. They said that some guy came in and "cleaned them out" and what they had left was just to cover pre-orders.

I was also told that it should be hitting retail in KY this week.

As far as Ohio goes, my sleuthing leads me to the conclusion that there will be no allocation in the Buckeye State. YMMV

At the gift shop it was $89 including tax. Party Source had 4 different Barrel Proof 4R for $50 each.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.