What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2010

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A buddy of mine was in the "Greater Chicagoland area" earlier this week and he just happened to be on the South side, yep in the vicinity of Binny's South Loop store.

Guess what he bought for me.

Two bottles of the 2008 4R Mariage and two bottles of the 2009 4R Mariage.

That makes _ _ of each that I have bunkered.

Two bottles of the 2008 4R Mariage and two bottles of the 2009 4R Mariage.

That makes _ _ of each that I have bunkered.

:bigeyes: That's a lot of friggen bottles bunkered Oscar!! I am looking forward to trying the Mariage this weekend. I've never bought one but Joe is bringing one over for me to try.

I grabbed an 09 ER17 today, the 49.99 price just captivated me; although the 10% liquor tax made me feel less excited about it.

Two bottles of MM46. :cool: It finally came in at Woodman's. Can't complain about the price either. Only $30.99 each. A nice way to start a long weekend. :grin: Joe

Two bottles of MM46. :cool: It finally came in at Woodman's. Can't complain about the price either. Only $30.99 each. A nice way to start a long weekend. :grin: Joe

Woodman's also had a nice price on Weller Antique NAS at $17.99 from what I remember. Joe, I'll be interested in your impressions of the MM46 and how it contrasts with your fave Weller 12. I hope I can get one on Saturday.

Joe gave me a call to let me know MM46 finally had arrived, so I had to stop in and buy a couple of bottles myself. Cracked one open, and I'm liking it! Here's to hoping the next version is 100 proof or higher.

Gary

Not all today, but the last few days have been busy with a few purchases:

2 WTKS dark wood tops from 2007 amd 2006 (embossed tops, but the price was around $33, so I didn't think it was a bad deal)

1 EWSB from 1998

1 14 YO Willett that I really enjoyed when I tried it, so this one is for the bunker

I need to convince myself that the 14 YO Willett is too pricey for the age so I don't end up feeling the need to bunker another one!

Mike

A bottle of WT101 and BT White dog. I noticed the White Dog fell off of the MLCC's list and thought I should give it a try before I couldn't find it any more.

WsmataU, if you could post some additional pictures of both the front and back labels, that would be great! You've got me curious. I did run a google search, and here's what I found:

http://www.ellenjaye.com/majestic.htm

happy reading. I'd like an idea of when this was bottled (is there a number on the bottom of the glass?)

A lonely bottle of OGD BIB.........I stopped into a liquor store on my way back from an Amish bakery.:grin:

Thanks for the link Eric. I did read that thread when I first brought the bottle home. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me a lot. I also searched the forums and the one link that told me anything is locked because it went astray.

Here is what I know:

The label says it is straight bourbon distilled in KY, 4 yrs old, and bottled in MD (Monumental Distilling). The tax stamp is still in place from a comptroller that stayed in office from 1959-1998 (no real help there). The lady selling it said the last time it had been price tagged ($13.99) was 2004 from her SKU #.

I don't think its anything to brag about, but I'd never really tried to find "dusties" and I figured for that price, I'd give it a whirl.

There was also a bottle of old Fitz Bonded that I may go back to get. They also had several bottles of OGD that had yellow labels. I've never seen that before.

post-2787-14489816738238_thumb.jpg

post-2787-14489816738513_thumb.jpg

post-2787-14489816738783_thumb.jpg

...They also had several bottles of OGD that had yellow labels. I've never seen that before...

My guess is those are faded orange labels. Could they have sat in a sunny window for a couple of decades?

I've seen black Old Taylor labels, but never a Grand Dad that wasn't meant to be orange.

Roger

My guess is those are faded orange labels. Could they have sat in a sunny window for a couple of decades?

I've seen black Old Taylor labels, but never a Grand Dad that wasn't meant to be orange.

Roger

That actually had occurred to me, but they looked like they were in pretty good condition. I bet you are right.

That actually had occurred to me, but they looked like they were in pretty good condition. I bet you are right.

ESPECIALLY whatever labels beam started using faded badly. you can really tell because the field behind grand-dad's head will sometimes go from green to blue (on the bonded).

As for your bottle, the lack of a government warning (I didn't see one on there anyway) makes me think mid 80s. say, up to 1986 or 7 at the latest as a tenative date.

Cool find, anyway!

I am proud to say that I found and purchased a bottle of Pappy van Winkle's Family Reserve, 20 year old bourbon. Now I need to do SOMETHING that warrants the reward of opening it.

I am proud to say that I found and purchased a bottle of Pappy van Winkle's Family Reserve, 20 year old bourbon. Now I need to do SOMETHING that warrants the reward of opening it.

For me that's a tough target, I had my first PVW20 for 2+ years before opening it, for most on this board just getting it safely home is sufficient. I wish I had more of that spirit. I'm working on it.

Purchased two bottles of Blanton's this week on vacation in St. Augustine. My family helped me kill a bottle during the week, and I picked up another since it was $15 cheaper there than in Indiana.

Maybe even better than getting the Pappy home was talking to the owner of my local ABC store and getting the real lowdown on how to get the best stuff in Viriginia -- even the hard to find stuff. He had a whole stash of Sazerac 18 and Van Winkle 12 on hand. It was sooo tempting. But I just couldn't drop two bills on a couple of bottles of whiskey on impulse like that... :-/

Maybe even better than getting the Pappy home was talking to the owner of my local ABC store and getting the real lowdown on how to get the best stuff in Viriginia -- even the hard to find stuff. He had a whole stash of Sazerac 18 and Van Winkle 12 on hand. It was sooo tempting. But I just couldn't drop two bills on a couple of bottles of whiskey on impulse like that... :-/

Which ABC did you find decent service?

Purchased two bottles of Blanton's this week on vacation in St. Augustine. My family helped me kill a bottle during the week, and I picked up another since it was $15 cheaper there than in Indiana.

If you go back, grab some of the Blanton's they don't sell in the US (Silver, Gold, Supergold, Cask) . I've never understood why they sell their best stuff overseas.

If you go back, grab some of the Blanton's they don't sell in the US (Silver, Gold, Supergold, Cask) . I've never understood why they sell their best stuff overseas.

In a nutshell, Sazerac doesn't own the Blantons brand, so only markets one of the Blantons bottlings while concentrating on their own products in the US. A search on this site will make for a good evenings reading on the specifics.

Roger

Coincidentally, I just purchased a Blanton's Straight From The Barrel here in Calgary. It was $80 Ca, the cheapest I have ever seen it anywhere in the world (I've paid about $100 US in Europe). There is the complete lineup of Blanton's here.....even the 80 proofer. Of interest is that the Blanton's Gold at 103 proof was the most expensive at $90 Ca. Calgary is also well stocked with ORVW 10/90/107, 12yo, Pappy 20yo and 23yo.

Randy

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!