What beer are you drinking Summer 2010

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found a few quad-packs of '09 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I can't wait for this year's release. This and 90 minute IPA's from Dogfish Head are my two favorite beers. I really like mixing the two as well. Right now, I'm mixing a Brooklyn BCS with a Yuengling Lord Chesterfield. Chesterfield is the gem among the rocks at Yuengling IMO.

Found a few quad-packs of '09 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I can't wait for this year's release. This and 90 minute IPA's from Dogfish Head are my two favorite beers. I really like mixing the two as well. Right now, I'm mixing a Brooklyn BCS with a Yuengling Lord Chesterfield. Chesterfield is the gem among the rocks at Yuengling IMO.

I was on the lookout for the BCS while beer shopping tonight but no dice. I did pick up a Gulden Draak (which I drank), Brooklyn Local 1 and Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest went down nicely by the fire last night, accompanied by some smokey Lagavulin 16, of course!

I did split a bottle of Avery Maharaja DIPA with Yvonne late last night after a dinner at my sister’s house. I have had it a couple of times before and it is none of my favourites, but I thought it deserved a new chance. It was even less good than I did remember. Very sweetish and this bottle also had a slight of note of yeast. I won’t bay this any more.

Leif

In Philly yesterday and enjoyed an Williamsburg Ale Werks Pumpkin ale. While not a huge fan of this seasonal favorite this one was done very well and is worth a try if you come across it in your travels.....

DAB Original, the German Export beer - Export is a style - from Dortmund. Consolidation in the industry has proceeded apace but DAB's version is as good as ever. It's from a can not more than 3 months from brewing. It has a clean oaty-like smell and round firm body, with bitter herbal tones on the after-palate.

Gary

Over the weekend I received some Ry(e)an Ale. Smuttynose aged in used HH bourbon barrels. Looking forward to trying one of these.

DAB Original, the German Export beer - Export is a style - from Dortmund. Consolidation in the industry has proceeded apace but DAB's version is as good as ever. It's from a can not more than 3 months from brewing. It has a clean oaty-like smell and round firm body, with bitter herbal tones on the after-palate.

Gary

The DAB in can has pretty much been my beer of the summer with a local store selling it at $9.99 a 12 pack. Another recent purchase in a can is a big tasting IPA, Modus Hoperandi from Ska brewing out of Durango, Colorado. As a pale ale it has more than usual malt-caramel flavors that balance out well against the citrus-herbal hops. Awfully delicious.

I'm continuing to thoroughly enjoy this Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale. Sam Adams Octoberfest has been my favorite Fall beer for several years, now. But, this is right up there with it for me.

Super Bock, a best-selling brand in Portugal I first discovered there, now an import here (Ontario), and not more than 3 months from packaging. This is a commercial pils style but very well made, the rich malt, drying hops and prominent yeast background blending to perfection. Some brewers just get it right, it doesn't matter how big or small they are. (And unfortunately, the reverse is also true, but I'd rather mention the good ones. :)).

Gary

Sammy Octoberfest that had just been tapped today at a local wing joint. Still a fantastic beer, and I do think it tasted even better due to it just being tapped.

I managed to stop after only 6 wings and one beer. I was proud of myself.

Chimay Blue tonight. First time tasting this beer and really enjoyed it.

Isn't it fantastic? I love the entire Chimay line of products but have a particular fondness for the Blue which I drank in large quantities while visiting Belgium. Great stuff!

Isn't it fantastic? I love the entire Chimay line of products but have a particular fondness for the Blue which I drank in large quantities while visiting Belgium. Great stuff!

Over the last month or so, I've picked up a number of Belgian and domestic Ale's. That Chimay Blue really got my attention. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers and really gravitate towards lower hop, high malt content. The Chimay had a great fruity/malty nose that was accentuated on the palate. In fact, after my first taste I believe I made a "mmmmm" noise. I have a Rochefort Trappist #8 that I'll try tonight.

Over the last month or so, I've picked up a number of Belgian and domestic Ale's. That Chimay Blue really got my attention. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers and really gravitate towards lower hop, high malt content. The Chimay had a great fruity/malty nose that was accentuated on the palate. In fact, after my first taste I believe I made a "mmmmm" noise. I have a Rochefort Trappist #8 that I'll try tonight.

Although I appreciate some of the hoppier-style beers, I tend to lean towards the lower hop/high malt content beers as well which puts many of the fine Belgian ales high on my list of favorites. If you haven't picked it up already, be on the lookout for the six pack sampler packaged by Brouwerij Van Steenberge which generally costs around $18. It's a good investment, as you get to sample a half dozen quality Belgian ales for $3 a piece and each has its own unique character despite coming from the same brewery. I've seen different configurations of the sampler in recent years, but whichever one you find will be well worth your money and quite enjoyable.

It's only 3:20, but I'm having a SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale. Hopefully, will make a what's been a crappy day go better.

Ommegang Rare Vos. Huge difference between this and the Abbey Ale. Mild hops, citrus and roasted grain and malt in the background. Lighter brew than the other Ales I've had this week. Refreshing.

Working. 5 day IPA at the Cardinal's game (San Diego down 3 to 8 in the Bottom of the 4th).

The beer is OK. A little light for the IPAs I have been working.

Working. at the Cardinal's game (San Diego down 3 to 8 in the Bottom of the 4th).

Cool, go Cards.

I don't have much faith if any for those West Coast teams.

But I do wish the Cards were in it so that I'd have something to follow.

Nice autumnal evening last night, so we lit the fire and knocked off a case of Guinness bottles (not the cans with the nitrogen gizmo). It was a nice change of pace and went well with a few cigars and some FRSB.

Great Lakes "Dortmunder Gold". Finally got it cold after returning with it from Kentucky and KBF several hours ago. I had just finished my last bottle couple of weeks ago, but now can go back to enjoying one of my favorite brews. Yummy stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.