Bernheim Original

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have any info or update as to the current state of Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey? Are people still buying this stuff? When it was introduced, I remember some speculation/hope/rumor of an older aged version that may come at some later date. Any chance of this seeing the light of day? Conversely, any chance the whole thing may be discontinued? Are competitors watching this and planning their own straight wheats, or are they caught up in the flavored bourbon movement?

For what it's worth, I bought two bottles, one to drink and one to bunker. I haven't bought any more since mainly due to price. It's good, but I'm not sure it's $40 good. Their website has a suggested retail of $30, but I've never seen it available at that price. $30 seems about right and any "super premium" version would appeal to me in the $40 space.

I see it around everywhere all the time, I think it made it's debut in 2005. The problem I have with it is it's quick finish, as soon as you swallow the taste is gone.

As far as an older and/or cask proof wheat whiskey goes, HH said that the Parker Heritage Collection was going to be 4 in a series, 1 a bourbon, 2 a wheat whiskey, 3 a corn whiskey and 4 a rye whiskey.

Maybe that's what you were thinking about, but these other's have never came out, probably with the critical and sales success of the 3 PHC bourbons they are on hold or cancelled.

Anyone have any info or update as to the current state of Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey? Are people still buying this stuff? When it was introduced, I remember some speculation/hope/rumor of an older aged version that may come at some later date. Any chance of this seeing the light of day? Conversely, any chance the whole thing may be discontinued? Are competitors watching this and planning their own straight wheats, or are they caught up in the flavored bourbon movement?

For what it's worth, I bought two bottles, one to drink and one to bunker. I haven't bought any more since mainly due to price. It's good, but I'm not sure it's $40 good. Their website has a suggested retail of $30, but I've never seen it available at that price. $30 seems about right and any "super premium" version would appeal to me in the $40 space.

I like the stuff but agree that I would be much more inclined to buy it at $30.

I like the stuff but agree that I would be much more inclined to buy it at $30.

Then you're in luck, the Michigan state minimum went down by $10 a few months ago and now it's going for $29.99.

I like it and buy it from time to time. I have an open bottle now. I haven't heard anything about it one way or another. Maybe HH will put honey in it. (That seems to be their big thing these days.)

I flew back (to Australia) from New Zealand last night with two bottles in my bag. It's not available here, so I stocked up while I could. It's not available in our market, so I didn't mind paying $98 AU per bottle.

There are a couple of micro-distillers making wheat spirits, a couple can even be called whiskey, but nobody else is making anything aged. (Bernheim is reportedly five years in wood.)

Thanks for the responses. Everything posted is about want I expected but I wanted to check with everyone to be sure.

I now have two additional thoughts. 1. A Parker Beam Heritage collection straight wheat that would equate to Bernheim Original on steriods would be very interesting. 2. It just seems strange to me that Heaven Hill would go to all the trouble to introduce a new product and then the marketing goes virtually silent once the introduction phase is over. Maybe their target was a few people buying a few bottles every now and then all along and they're happy with that. I would think there's some leverage with "the first straight wheat whiskey since prohibition"

Judging from the other threads, maybe a similar issue to ri(1) -- put it out there as a premium product and let it fizzle if it doesn't take off?

Thanks for the responses. Everything posted is about want I expected but I wanted to check with everyone to be sure.

I now have two additional thoughts. 1. A Parker Beam Heritage collection straight wheat that would equate to Bernheim Original on steriods would be very interesting. 2. It just seems strange to me that Heaven Hill would go to all the trouble to introduce a new product and then the marketing goes virtually silent once the introduction phase is over. Maybe their target was a few people buying a few bottles every now and then all along and they're happy with that. I would think there's some leverage with "the first straight wheat whiskey since prohibition"

The price cut in Michigan had me wondering the same thing. I wonder if they've stopped producing it entirely. Supposedly when Saz took over Barton they found some wheat whiskey. According to our tour guide at Tom Moore last April, they were, up until last year, still making corn and wheat whiskey as a sort of warm-up to making bourbon. She seemed to imply that it was all sold off for blending.

Saw 4 bottles for $32 at a local grocery store last night. I see it all over anywhere from $30 - $40. Sipped a glass last night also... Very pleasant.

The PH is very good IMO... Pricey though.

The HH national sales reps were at my local retailer just recently. They were promoting the Bernheim Wheat at the lower $30 price. This is a nationwide push.

Has anyone followed Bernheim's flavor profile from the first releases to the recent bottlings?

I've still got an unloved bottle from it's initial west coast rollout (2006?) and wonder if it's improved or stayed on its initial course. I find it highly likely there's been a learning curve on how to optimize the high wheat content of this unique (for a macro-distiller) product.

Most of all, I disliked the hay-ish, wet cardboard nose and the slightly uncooked grain flavors (like unconverted mash, for you homebrewers). I imagine the very mild character and the short finish are part and parcel of being a wheater, but the nose and palate seem improvable.

I know that everyone has different tastes and some have probably loved it all along, but has it won over any early doubters?

Roger

My current bottle is recent and I've had it from time to time since it was introduced. I like it for a change of pace. It hasn't evolved very much, in my opinion, but I wouldn't expect it to because that's the profile they're going for.

Companies like Heaven Hill don't give their products very much support, which makes it hard to grow a brand, especially one that's in a league of its own. But they can do some things, like adjust the price. They're probably making a little more of it every year, so if they can sell more by selling it for less they can still make the same or more profit.

I don't hear much about it but it might be going exactly according to plan.

Bernheim was introduced in 2005.

The Bernheim web site confirms that the suggested retail price is $29.99. (Go to the FAQ.)

It got somewhat deeper in flavor after (probably the barrels getting older) but not a whole lot, I'd agree.

Gary

The HH national sales reps were at my local retailer just recently. They were promoting the Bernheim Wheat at the lower $30 price. This is a nationwide push.

somewhere around May is when i first started seeing the Bernheim in the PA/DE/MD area. now i see it all the time for $30, at almost every store. it was good to experience once. but its too sweet for my tastes.

I can confirm that it's a permanent price re-positioning that started the first of this year and has been rolling out, market by market, depending on existing deals and inventories. They lowered the price for the most basic of reasons, to increase sales. They recognize it is a difficult product for many people to understand so they think a $30 vs $40 price point will help gain trial and get more people to make the leap. This is not my conjecture, this is the word from Heaven Hill. I do think it's a good idea and $30 is probably the right price for what it is. I like Bernheim and know I'll buy it more frequently at that price.

The OLCC dropped the price from $50.45 to $29.95 back a coupleorthree months ago, but they're bumping it back to $50.45 on August first.

I would ask them why, but like most professional bureaucrats they're very good at not giving straight answers (I'm still getting the run around on the deletion of WRMC Maple Finish from the August Price Changes list), so I don't think I'll bother.

When it was on the shelves in NC it was always $24.95. I recently acquired some clearanced at $19.95. It's still on the special order list for $24.95. I've got 7 bottles bunkered so I think I'm fine for a while.

The OLCC dropped the price from $50.45 to $29.95 back a coupleorthree months ago, but they're bumping it back to $50.45 on August first.

I would ask them why, but like most professional bureaucrats they're very good at not giving straight answers (I'm still getting the run around on the deletion of WRMC Maple Finish from the August Price Changes list), so I don't think I'll bother.

I cracked a bottle today with my Dad. It was his first taste and he enjoyed it a lot. For him (a scotch drinker), it was like a desert sipping whiskey. For me, it was everything I remembered from my first taste two years ago at the Sampler. I must admit, if it was available here, I'd always have a bottle on hand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.