Bernheim Original

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since it was introduced, I've always had an open bottle on hand. Like Chuck and others, I enjoy it as a change of pace. I also seem to drink more of it in the summertime ----- it seems especially suited for hot days.

Since this has been on the market for five years, there have got to be some of the original distillations still in the barrel somewhere at HH. I'd loved to see how this tastes with some additional aging --- say a 10 yo.

• 1 month later...

I was surprised yesterday when I found the price had been lowered from $42 to around $25 at my favorite retailer. I could not resist and found it to be quite refreshing and as many have mentioned, a nice change of pace.:cool:

It is under $25 in Virginia and gets down to $22 on sale.... Easy drinking and great for the friends who are not big whiskey drinkers...

This hit the regular Ohio list for September in the 28.00 range, IIRC.

This hit the regular Ohio list for September in the 28.00 range, IIRC.

That's what I'm talking about! Now for that 10 year, 100 proof version...........

• 2 months later...

The North Carolina ABC stores list Bernheim Original for $24.95. I have found it in a few of the stores, but not many.

My son-in-law and I each bought a bottle when we were visiting Louisville about 18 months ago. He liked it more than I did, but it certainly is not the worst $25 that I have ever spent.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Cam said its not regulary available in the Australian market, but I grab a bottle when I can. I like it !

I just had a dram of Bernheim Wheat after a dram of Rebel Reserve, which I thought would be interesting, since they are both distilled by Heaven Hill (the Rebel Reserve is basically Old Fitzgerald juice sold to Luxco for separate aging).

I don't know if my constant sipping of Scotch has ruined my palate for American whiskeys, but I could not taste a huge difference between the two. I keep hearing how the Bernheim is supposed to be a very sweet whiskey, but, to me, it tasted quite spicy and bourbon-y.

Am I doing something wrong?

• 1 month later...

I was on Spec's (large Houston retailer) website and they had Bernheim listed for $24.58 cash price. Stopped by store today and it was on shelf for $37.xx. I mentioned the difference and the buyer was called - shelf was remarked to match web site. My guess is the price decrease is just now hitting Houston and this will be permanent price.

I bought a Bernheim Wheat, Rittenhouse Rye 100, and EC 12 - out the door at $76.51 less the $15 rebate Ed posted. Not a bad deal.

I just had a dram of Bernheim Wheat after a dram of Rebel Reserve, which I thought would be interesting, since they are both distilled by Heaven Hill (the Rebel Reserve is basically Old Fitzgerald juice sold to Luxco for separate aging).

I don't know if my constant sipping of Scotch has ruined my palate for American whiskeys, but I could not taste a huge difference between the two. I keep hearing how the Bernheim is supposed to be a very sweet whiskey, but, to me, it tasted quite spicy and bourbon-y.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, you are listening to people making faulty assumptions. :cool:

It has less corn than every bourbon on the market and corn makes a bourbon sweet, not the wheat. I find it to be biscuity with layers of spice and not really sweet at all.

• 2 weeks later...

"biscuity" is something that I find in this as well. Love having this on hand.

For some reason CT always has it priced close to $50. I won't buy it at that price, especially when I can order it online for under $30.

Heaven Hill has definitely dropped its prices consistent with a $30 price point, so if Connecticut is maintaining the higher retail price they're ripping you off even more than usual. (Well, not you, since you won't pay it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Time to check my local again to see if they are following the new pricing. Last time I looked Bernheim was still in the $40s.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a Bernheim rep at a tasting last April and he mentioned the price would be dropping but I haven't seen that happen around Chicago yet.

• 2 weeks later...

In Virginia, Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey 750ml regularly goes for $24.90.

:hot:News Flash:hot:Hot Deal...on sale this month for $21.90.

I'll be picking up my first bottle this week!

It has less corn than every bourbon on the market and corn makes a bourbon sweet, not the wheat. I find it to be biscuity with layers of spice and not really sweet at all.

Callmeox, I definitely concur with you on this one. "Biscuity" in retrospect is a very nice way of describint it. The sweetness is present but very much in check. Here are my notes on it:

Color: Deep Bronze

Nose: Crisp and light with graham cracker, lemon pie, all spice, and toasted oak. There is a dry whole grain quality to this nose.

Palate: Beautifully balanced, but the flavors are well defined with lemon candy, vanilla, and light honey sweetness that isn’t sticky in the least. The sweetness is far from cloying. Cherries really shine through (kirsch??) also followed by heavily toasted bread and dry oak. Sweet spices (clove, all spice) emerge from mid palate through to the finish.

Finish: For such a light, airy whiskey this finish is really pretty long. Again the cherry fruit shines through in a more cherry candy or maraschino flavor, then toasted oak and sweet spice really takes over.

Overall: Bourbon lovers expecting to drink a rich, sweet, intense whiskey need to pause for a moment. This certainly has some bourbon-like qualities, as it should with a significant portion of corn in the grain recipe. However this is much more elegant, refined, and subtle. The flavors are light and fruity, and the sweetness is present without overdoing it. For Scotch Lovers that feel bourbon is “too sweet†or for those Bourbon Lovers looking for a nice, easy sipping change up – this is a great one. There is something for everyone here – it’s inviting, well made, and I look forward to another glass.

Sour Mash Manifesto Rating: 8.7 (Very Good/Excellent)

• 3 weeks later...

@JP,

Nice review. The Bernheim is a bottle in my cabinet that I have yet to open but looking forward to comparing this wheat influenced whiskey with other "traditional" Bourbon styles.

Jason my notes are close to yours as I found much the same thing. I did not notice the cherry and found more nuttiness and oak qualities but otherwise we are close. This is a sophisticated whisky that makes you work to tease out the nuances but is worth the effort.

Jason my notes are close to yours as I found much the same thing. I did not notice the cherry and found more nuttiness and oak qualities but otherwise we are close. This is a sophisticated whisky that makes you work to tease out the nuances but is worth the effort.

Worth the effort indeed. Sometimes it's nice to work a little bit for it.

So what is the mashbill percentages of Bernheim Wheat?

I have always assumed it was all wheat except for some barley to get the fermentation going.

It's good whiskey but I find the finish very short.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.