Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see that Julio's and K&L Wines are offering a JPRS 18. K&L, out my way, wants $89.99 a bottle. Anyone have one? Anyone tried one? Is it worth 90 bucks? I have 2 of the JPRS 17. I was not impressed. I would take a PVW 15 over the JPRS 17. Any thoughts? Should I get one just to put in the bunker? I can't find any more PVW 15 out here anyway. Let me know.

Jim

I tasted the K&L while I was in the LA area a couple weeks ago, wasn't thoroughly impressed. The bottle of Weller 12 from '04 I paid $18 for was better.

Is there any reason to think it is anything other than the 17-year-old left in wood for another year?

...and that's what it is. Barrel to barrel, they vary. Some are woodier than others. You won't catch me complaining about more sw on the shelf. Expect some variance in these bottlings. Very good though.

I got a couple of the Jeff 18 coming my way, what the heck, bourbon is my only hobby that I spend money on.

I hope it is better than the 17 which is, IMO, way over-oaked. The 17 is still languishing on local reatilers' shelves.

I got a couple of the Jeff 18 coming my way, what the heck, bourbon is my only hobby that I spend money on.

Good for you Oscar.

Joe :usflag:

The way Ryan at Julio's explained it to me was the K&L didn't select their barrel where Julio's did. They were both bottled in their unfiltered form at 94 proof! I picked up two bottles of the Julio's JRPS 18 while I was out there last week. :cool:

The way Ryan at Julio's explained it to me was the K&L didn't select their barrel where Julio's did. They were both bottled in their unfiltered form at 94 proof! I picked up two bottles of the Julio's JRPS 18 while I was out there last week. :cool:

They can say whatever they want but that's not really credible, unless they just mean they did it in a different room or something, unless Zoeller has changed bottlers, though that wouldn't matter either. Unless the claim is that this is some 18-year-old whiskey Zoeller got somewhere else, not Stitzel-Weller. So, as I said, not really credible.

They can say whatever they want but that's not really credible, unless they just mean they did it in a different room or something, unless Zoeller has changed bottlers, though that wouldn't matter either. Unless the claim is that this is some 18-year-old whiskey Zoeller got somewhere else, not Stitzel-Weller. So, as I said, not really credible.

Chuck, I think what he meant was Julio's chose their own barrel, K&L didn't choose theirs. I don't think he was referring to a logistic location with use of of the word "where".

The person I spoke to at K&L claimed they chose it, but as you say, that doesn't really mean sqaut because their website also claims it is the "ONLY unfiltered 18 yo in the WORLD". And we know that is crap.

Plus we all know how those 'choose your own barrel' things work. They give you samples to taste from maybe three barrels from, in this case especially, a very small universe of possibilities among which there likely is very little variation. Sure, each barrel is unique, but to maintain that one from the set is crap while another is awesome is certainly hyperbole if not outright crap.

Plus we all know how those 'choose your own barrel' things work. They give you samples to taste from maybe three barrels from, in this case especially, a very small universe of possibilities among which there likely is very little variation. Sure, each barrel is unique, but to maintain that one from the set is crap while another is awesome is certainly hyperbole if not outright crap.
In no way was I stating that the K&L bottling was crap Chuck so I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. I was simply posting the information that I was given by Ryan at Julio's. Ryan was provided a number of options and he selected the barrel that he prefered...that's the information that I was given and I have no reason to doubt it.

In no way was I stating that the K&L bottling was crap Chuck so I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. I was simply posting the information that I was given by Ryan at Julio's. Ryan was provided a number of options and he selected the barrel that he prefered...that's the information that I was given and I have no reason to doubt it.

I didn't want to start anything about who got the better barrel, I was just wondering if this stuff was worth 90 bucks.

If the K&L barrel yielded 100 bottles, they have sold 36. That is one more than last weekend. I guess that alone answers my question.

OscarV - I saw that your Lock & Key bottles arrived. Let us know what you think. Thanks

Jim

What you said was, "The way Ryan at Julio's explained it to me was the K&L didn't select their barrel where Julio's did." Am I wrong in assuming that he said that as an argument for why Julio's is better than K&L's? Obviously Julio's chose a barrel and K&L chose a different barrel, so they aren't the same. Does his statement mean something more than that? What? I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth or Ryan's, just trying to understand what the statement above purports to mean.

So what are you wanting to know then Chuck? As I said before, Julio's personally selected their barrel and from what Ryan said, K&L didn't. That doesn't mean that they didn't have someone whom they trust select their barrel...it doesn't mean they did. He was stating something that he believes as fact...I don't know if he meant that makes their bottling better or worse. I would think that since he selected the juice in his bottling that he is happy with his selection and that his customers would be too...but since I'm not into putting words into others mouths I don't know that as fact so I'm not going to speculate any further...you can draw whatever conclusions you want.:rolleyes:

Ah, I see. I read "where" as signifying a place. You meant it like "whereas."

Still, I see it as Ryan (not you) taking a passive-aggressive shot at the competition.

Ah, I see. I read "where" as signifying a place. You meant it like "whereas."

Didn't I say that like 6 or 7 posts earlier? :rolleyes:

I didn't want to start anything about who got the better barrel, I was just wondering if this stuff was worth 90 bucks.

If the K&L barrel yielded 100 bottles, they have sold 36. That is one more than last weekend. I guess that alone answers my question.

OscarV - I saw that your Lock & Key bottles arrived. Let us know what you think. Thanks

Jim

Ignore them....what it's worth is subjective and only you can answer. Personally, I passed on Julio's Jeffersons as well as the earlier mass released iteration. For someone (me) that can get SW whiskey almost at will, I wasn't that excited about dropping $90 on it. On the other hand, those in markets that cannot get SW at all, this may be the ticket and getting that bottle would be a nice addition to the collection. I believe Chuck made the point a couple years ago about trying SW because to most, it ranges from great to stupendous (as Chuck put it last year). If you have not had nor have access to SW whiskey, grab one so you can enjoy a very fine bourbon.

If you have not had nor have access to SW whiskey, grab one so you can enjoy a very fine bourbon.

Jefferson's 17yo & 18yo is not S-W bourbon, it's only aged in "S-W" barrels", which is a crock ofcourse.

It was distilled by Bernheim.

Jefferson's 17yo & 18yo is not S-W bourbon, it's only aged in "S-W" barrels", which is a crock ofcourse.

I stand corrected....ignore my last post.

:smiley_acbt:

But I still got a couple of them, the 18yo that is, to go along with my 17yo and 15yo, ya know being a nerdy collector is a pain in the butt sometimes.

Now hang on a second....

All my Jeffersons 17 says distilled in the fall of 1991. How could that be Bernheim???? Didn't it open in the fall of '92?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.