SW All Gone

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Reading some recent threads, I think we can call Stitzel-Weller whiskey as "all gone." What I mean is that there is little if any left in barrels. It's all either in bottles or stainless.

That makes sense since the youngest SW whiskey will turn 19 next spring and most likely has peaked if, as I said, any of it is still in wood.

It is so sad to think that one of the world's greatest whiskies (in most of its forms) is history. I've enjoyed it thoroughly over the years and was even smart enough to bunker some. Pappy will live on for a while yet in this house.

Joe :usflag:

I've been buying as many as I can afford and not opening them. I plan on having Pappy 15 for the rest of my life. A man can wish can't he?

I've been buying as many as I can afford and not opening them. I plan on having Pappy 15 for the rest of my life. A man can wish can't he?

Or die young, whichever works.

I have one bottle of pappy 15, as long as I never open it, I'll have Pappy 15 the rest of my life.

I have one bottle of pappy 15, as long as I never open it, I'll have Pappy 15 the rest of my life.

I guess that's one way to look at it.

Regardless of what is or isn't in Pappy 15 these days, it's damn good and I'm glad I have a few.

Gary

Or die young, whichever works.

I'm neither all that young, nor dead yet. Thus, y'all are free to designate me a fool, a damned fool, or the smartest bourbon drinker in existence -- but I've opened and enjoyed as many Stitzel-Weller bottlings as I could for as long as I've been aware of it, which would have been my first favorite, some Weller Special Reserve 7yo, back when it was still from Louisville.

Those bottles have included some as far back as distilled in 1940 and '42; as rare as a single-bottle offering in trade from Preston Van Winkle of an un-cut/un-filtered barrel-sample "Pappy 21" liter; as personally satisfying as a quartet from 2005 of which I had a personal hand in selecting; and as mundane as some excellent, early-'70s ceramic decanters varying from 4 to 8 years.

Many of you are my witnesses (and co-inebriants!:grin:).

Today, I have only a single "Van Blankle" on the shelf -- promised, in all sincerity, to Randy B. after all his own stash is diminished. I drank it. I drank it ALL!

I see little value or glory in raising hosannas to a bourbon or distillery -- and then preserving it under glass!

Would I like to drink from the last extant bottle of Stitzel-Weller someday? Sure! But, truth be told, I've probably already done better.

You should, too.

"I see little value or glory in raising hosannas to a bourbon or distillery -- and then preserving it under glass!"

Nice. The SW worship gets a bit tiring sometimes. None of it is worth a damn unless it's consumed.

I'd like to see Turkey rise again if I had my druthers.

"I see little value or glory in raising hosannas to a bourbon or distillery -- and then preserving it under glass!"

Nice. The SW worship gets a bit tiring sometimes. None of it is worth a damn unless it's consumed.

I agree to a point. The SW hype get's overdone at times. To me, bourbons as good as an early Old Fitz BIB would be early versions of WT 8/101, 1980 OGD 114, 1978 Old Forester BIB. I have a '72/'81 OGD BIB open right now that is simply stellar. Asking me to pick a SW over the OGD would be a hard choice.

The bunker is large, and I am young. I will get around to the so-called "good stuff". Thou shalt drink no bourbon before it's time.

It's like hearing of the passing of a dear friend. You dread the news but you want to know just the same. Someday, a legacy member of SB may post a remembrance of that favorite SW bourbon in comparison to the latest Lime infused Tequila flavored bourbon and a young SB member will ask the question, "What does SW stand for?" That's when you'll know, our time has passed too.

In the mean time, I think TNBourbon has it right. Drink up and enjoy. The memory should be of the great taste not the great label.

Folks, I found 2 bottles today and they are on the way. Don't give up hope. It's out there - do what you have to do to find it. And if you get your fill and know where to find it please share so we can all benefit. Cheers to Pappy.

Folks, I found 2 bottles today and they are on the way. Don't give up hope. It's out there - do what you have to do to find it. And if you get your fill and know where to find it please share so we can all benefit. Cheers to Pappy.

The problem I have with trying to purchase a product like Pappy 15 online is that there are so many variables.

The store has to be able to ship to Florida.

They must have Pappy 15 in stock.

They must be selling it at a reasonable price <$60

They must be willing to part with more than just one bottle per customer

And generally speaking, if they are only willing to sell me a couple bottles and/or the price is the same as my local store price then I need to be able to purchase a few bottles of some other bourbon that I would normally buy locally but are at a price far below the normal mark at my local store so as to offset the shipping price. Otherwise, the price I'm paying is starting to not match the product and it's just not worth it any longer.

On the other hand, I am far from swimming in money, so I'm always looking for the best deal possible.

Once Julian runs out of SW juice for his annual distributions, I suspect prices will really take off... ala AHH 16.

Once Julian runs out of SW juice for his annual distributions, I suspect prices will really take off... ala AHH 16.

Heretic.

Padpadpadpad

a voice for keeping a few drops. Ya got to save a drop to compare the next one to, because memory isn't so great and side-by-side comparison is the only way to really compare and realize how good the old stuff was.

a voice for keeping a few drops. Ya got to save a drop to compare the next one to, because memory isn't so great and side-by-side comparison is the only way to really compare and realize how good the old stuff was.

I do agree. Most of my rare bottles (read not available Downunder) that have been opened and enjoyed tend to stop being consumed when there's about 3 inches of whiskey left in the bottom. There's something about finishing them that I try to avoid.

I do agree. Most of my rare bottles (read not available Downunder) that have been opened and enjoyed tend to stop being consumed when there's about 3 inches of whiskey left in the bottom. There's something about finishing them that I try to avoid.

Why would that be John? Hirsch had nothing to put back into the bottle but Julian has BT and Bernheim. Also, why would one pay more for inferior whiskey.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.