SW All Gone

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Christian I believe that is what our members posted once they got a chance to examine the bottle in hand at which time it was too late. If the seller has larceny in their heart an internet photo will not disclose the tampering.

Presuming the whisky is genuine. Anybody with a syringe can drain a bottle, replace the contents, and sell it as is with no guarantees.

He bought his 2 bottles of Pappy 20 from a state store. He only mentioned e-bay for a price comparison. I'm not sure where this is coming from.:skep:

Fakes have certainly been a problem in the SMS world. The only reason they haven't been with bourbon is because the market is so small and the prices are so low. That's not to say it can't happen. Caveat Emptor is always a good idea.

If SW is indeed all gone that is something to lamented for sure. As it is I only was able to have a small sampling of this juice. We really can't do anything about it, so I say let's move on.

I prefer to appreciate what I do have and remember fondly what was in the past.

I can't say I wouldn't want a bottle for both novelty and for the tasty treat, but cracking my VW 12yr open last night while watching the game I don't care which barrell it came out of. I really enjoyed my bottle from last year but man I was really pleased with this bottle. I think I need to find a backup.

I was lucky enough to have a neighbor give me a bottle of Old Fitz from the mid '70s. That was my only experience with S-W bourbon. I thought it was pretty good (better than the current Old Fitz) but I wasn't totally blown away. I think the S-W mystique exists because even their bottom or mid shelf stuff was very good, and they aren't making any more. The old distillary probably can't be remodeled and reopened. Even if it were razed, and a new plant built on the same site, other companies own their former brand names. You can't wade in the same river twice. With all the hype and hoarding, S-W juice will be around for a long time.

I'm old enough to remember when SW whiskys were available on the shelf then they were gone. Would I have bought a few cases had I known? Sure but they would've been long ago consumed by now. There are plenty of good choices on the shelves today to keep me occupied.

That's pretty much my take on the situation. I've had my share of SW juice and still have a few bottles tucked away but one by one they are being consumed and sooner or later my stash will be gone. I've enjoyed them but I when the last sip is gone I'll carry on with all the other fine choices on the shelves these days. I mean, how unhappy can I be when I've still got Weller 12, Lot B, Pappy 15 (from BT) and so many others still readily available?

...I was lucky enough to have a neighbor give me a bottle of Old Fitz from the mid '70s. That was my only experience with S-W bourbon...I think the S-W mystique exists because even their bottom or mid shelf stuff was very good, and they aren't making any more...

No -- but your former statement well explains your latter sentiment.

If you've had enough of it, you've run across even an ordinary, S-W-labeled bottle that wound up on your Top-Whatever list. And it confirmed ALL you'd ever suspected about the "better" stuff!:bigeyes: Like: yeah --it's BETTER!:bowdown:

I was flipping through the new issue of Whisky Life and Spirits magazine and noticed a changed in the Old Rip Van Winkle ad. PVW is no longer pictured or listed in the ad copy. In its place, is ORVW 15.

Since I believe that Julian has said that the Pappy brand is reserved for S-W distillate, this confirms the the 15 yo VW is now all BT production.

I wish I hadn't opened that '80s handle of Rebel Yell. It's not that good, but it's S-W whiskey, and maybe one of you would pay me a lot of money for it. $19 down the drain! Well, OK, I'm sure I will drink it eventually.

The 1849 I found at the same place I'm keeping.

I was flipping through the new issue of Whisky Life and Spirits magazine and noticed a changed in the Old Rip Van Winkle ad. PVW is no longer pictured or listed in the ad copy. In its place, is ORVW 15.

Since I believe that Julian has said that the Pappy brand is reserved for S-W distillate, this confirms the the 15 yo VW is now all BT production.

I'm glad I have a few bottles of PVW 15 bunkered, but if this is true I will still be anxious to try the BT only bottling. I think Julian has done a superb job in the past with making due with what's available (ex. prior change from ORVW15 to PVW 15, VWFR Rye from all Medley to Medley/CoK, SW ORVW 10/107 to current, SW Lot B to current). I'm sure you could argue if one version is better or not, but I don't think you could deny it's still some delicious bourbon, no matter how you slice it.

Sooooo...the ORVW 15 is back? Can ny of our members with sources (or Julian!) confirm this?

Does this help?.....

post-812-1448981708974_thumb.jpg

As I think more about this... this year there seems to be relatively abundant (certainly at least more than usual) supplies of Lot B and ORVW 10 yo available locally. But no PVW 15.... none.

Now I'm wondering if I haven't been looking closely enough at the ORVW. Are some of them ORVW 15?

Now I'm wondering if I haven't been looking closely enough at the ORVW. Are some of them ORVW 15?

It happens.

(padpadpadpadpadpadpad)

The change to ORVW probably signifies the absolute change from SW to other sources of whiskey. Just my thoughts.

Joe :usflag:

In the last couple of years, we bottled up a 2-3 year supply of 15, 16 year to sell as 15 year Pappy. We still have some 20 year S/W in barrels to bottle as 20 year.

That quote is from November. Perhaps that ad with the photo of ORVW 15 is hinting that we are seeing or even just saw the very end of that 2-3 year bottled supply that is referenced to above. Maybe we will be seeing ORVW 15 on the shelves in the spring?

What I'm wondering is whether or not the end of the S/W Pappy 15 and the upcoming release of ORVW 15 will allow us to see a greater supply hitting the stores. I am too young to have been able to drink and appreciate the S/W that you all rave about in all of its various bottlings, so to me it really is just a piece of history, but I really enjoy the non-S/W ORVW 10/107 and Lot B quite a bit. I'd love to see the 15 year expression become more available in the stores.

The change to ORVW probably signifies the absolute change from SW to other sources of whiskey. Just my thoughts.

Joe :usflag:

in light of julian's previous explanation of the name/labels (orvw vs. pappy), i would agree that when we see the orvw 15 on the shelf again, it most likely means a change in source. also, was the exclusion of the 23 yo in the ad an indication that we won't see the 23 yo?

fwiw, this past fall, as others have commented, it appears that pappy 15 was much more difficult to get than usual. i was hoping there was a couple of more sw releases left.

i wish even with the change to orvw for the 15 yo, they stuck with the slimmer bottles (with the orvw label) - easier to store.

Does this help?.....

I do recognise the picture as an ad I saw several years ago. Are you sure it isn’t just on old picture that came in by some kind of mistake John?

Leif

I do recognise the picture as an ad I saw several years ago. Are you sure it isn’t just on old picture that came in by some kind of mistake John?

Leif

I dont know... that's certainly a plausible explanation.

The ads I'm used to seeing look very similar in layout but definitely included PVW 15 and didn't include ORVW 15. For example, I've got in front of me the current (Winter 2010) issue of Malt Advocate. The Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery ad (p. 51) includes OVW 15 and only has the 10 yo ORVW. (I'm not near my scanner as I post this so I can't attach it for comparison.)

The website still lists a Pappy 15, but it also lists 10 year 107 three times so maybe that doesn't mean anything. http://oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/wProducts?readForm&t=Products

Either way I'll now have to go through the bunker and note on all the 15s that they are original from the SW days.

The old Old Rip 15 that was bottled in Lawrenceburg was S-W whiskey, right?

And how about the ones bottled in Frankfort?

The old Old Rip 15 that was bottled in Lawrenceburg was S-W whiskey, right?

And how about the ones bottled in Frankfort?

They were also S-W!

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.