SW All Gone

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The wheaters are Maker's, Van Winkle, Weller, Fitzgerald, and Rebel Yell. Old Cabin Still is wheated but I don't think the current stuff is. Except for Maker's, those are all former Stitzel-Weller brands.

If you ever get a chance to get an older bottle of Maker's Mark from the 1970s, do so. It is as good as anything that ever came out of Stitzel-Weller. The Gold Wax 101 proof Maker's Mark is even better than many Stitzel-Weller bourbons.

I was lucky enough to have a sample of the Gold Wax 101 sent to me by a fellow member. Some of the best juice I have ever tasted for sure.

I have a bottle of Stitzel-Weller bourbon I have set aside for mixing with Coke. That's all I use it for.

I have a bottle of Stitzel-Weller bourbon I have set aside for mixing with Coke. That's all I use it for.

Where's my heart medicine?

Joe :usflag:

Guest wripvanwrinkle

You are one tough SOB. I only keep it around to clean paint brushes.

To heck with the heart meds.......Where's my .45???

Where's my heart medicine?

Joe :usflag:

It is the least good bottle of bourbon I have open. I have an old Peoria Ten High that may prove to be worse, but that's not open.

Just because Stitzel-Weller made great whiskey doesn't mean every whiskey made there is great. Or even good.

The 1849 I bought at the same place from the same period is terrific, but the handle of Rebel Yell is not.

To heck with the heart meds.......Where's my .45???

You mean your Colt .45 Malt Liquor?

"It works ever time."

That brings up two distinct questions then... if Pappy SW wasn't typical SW, is there any way to try typical SW anymore, to compare to the Pappy SW I've already had?

i don't know what chuck meant by "typical SW" bc i'm not a sw expert but i assume that you have to get dusty sw of, cabin still, etc., either through hunting, trades or the internet site that will not be mentioned.

i don't know what chuck meant by "typical SW" bc i'm not a sw expert but i assume that you have to get dusty sw of, cabin still, etc., either through hunting, trades or the internet site that will not be mentioned.

Be extra careful with Cabin Still as some of it was filled with a different product, rye juice from a distillery called Canada Dry. I believe the key is if the label says something very close to "distilled for and bottled by Stitzel Weller Distillery."

There are times when Ancient Age and Bernheim may have done some supplemental distilling for SW, but Cabin Still is the only one you commonly see discussed as being off the "typical" SW profile.

Roger

• 2 months later...

guess I should be glad I've got all those red velvet bags in the basement. not to mention what's on shelf #2.

I was at a small package liquor store on Coronado Island in San Diego during the recent power outage and noticed they had at least one bottle each of Pappy 20 and 23 sitting on a high shelf. The 20 was $130, I think.

WineInventorySept2011bourbonvW4R.jpg

• 1 month later...

Please tell me you think I have enough, so I can stop obsessing...

I started to get nervous that I didn't have enough SW, so I finally put all my bottles together.

I know that a couple in the picture are not SW juice, but the vast majority are.

I actually feel lucky that all of you have contributed to my hoarding since 2007 when I started visiting this site, or I am sure that I would be paying too much for much less.

post-3671-14489817595266_thumb.jpg

Unfortunatly, while it's an impressive stock, it's just not enough. I would keep collecting right up to the point your family begins to plot an intervention. Then you can sit back in the man-chair with a remote and blissfully sip your way to Nirvana. Oh, and I be sooooo jealous.

Please tell me you think I have enough, so I can stop obsessing...

I started to get nervous that I didn't have enough SW, so I finally put all my bottles together.

I know that a couple in the picture are not SW juice, but the vast majority are.

I actually feel lucky that all of you have contributed to my hoarding since 2007 when I started visiting this site, or I am sure that I would be paying too much for much less.

What kind of self respecting nut are you!:grin: Only one each of the rye and Lot B.

Obsession doesn't happen until you have at least six of each. Hit a dozen and that is truly grounds for being committed.

Seriously, nice lineup.

B

Good to know that I won't be seriously obsessed until I have 5 more bottles of 23 on hand.

If there is an intervention / being committed episode, I will make sure to have a living will put in place that divides my collection to SB.com members.

Now this is just giving us permission to do you in... :cool:

Good podcast with Preston Van Winkle on the K&L site today.

Around starting around 15:00, he mentioned that the current 15yr is BT distillate.

B

Good podcast with Preston Van Winkle on the K&L site today.

Around starting around 15:00, he mentioned that the current 15yr is BT distillate.

B

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wish the interviewer would have asked about any whiskey sourced between S-W and BT, especially in the 10 & 12. Preston didn't really go into any detail about the change over - S-W 15 to some sort of blend to BT 15. I also would have liked to have heard a bit more about the rye. Overall it was enjoyable though.

If it was some stuff BT had lying around - like for the failed Rebel Yell project - I guess it would still qualify as the "family recipe".

I hope the availability goes up and the prices go down for PVW15.

considering the price and availability on the ORVW 10 and the Lot B I wouldn't hold my breath.

B

We can only hope that the insanity that prevails with the annual release of the Pappy products will curtail, given the 15 is no longer SW juice.

I still find the ORVW 10-107 to be one of the best wheaters out there.

We can only hope that the insanity that prevails with the annual release of the Pappy products will curtail, given the 15 is no longer SW juice.

I still find the ORVW 10-107 to be one of the best wheaters out there.

This is probably wishful thinking at the most. While it may not be SW anymore, and Bernheim content may still be questionable, with the continued limited distribution, the demand will still always be there.

That in itself makes more folks want it. And while I haven't had the fall release yet, hasn't hit the local store, i'm very confident in it being a very fine product, no matter what is in the bottle.

And yes, 10-107 hits the sweet spot on so many levels.

B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.