What bourbon did you get for Christmas 2010!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife and I go out after Christmas and spend a day shopping together for stuff we need and things we've wanted. We always get a real nice lunch somewhere. It is a great day to spend with my wife and I love telling her "Aw, just get it" when she sees something she wants.

Today on the way back home we stopped at the state liquor store in Portsmouth where I was hoping to score a FR1B. Their website had shown a '10 Handy in stock, but when I inquired a week and a half ago it was "being held." I checked again on my iPhone when we pulled into the parking lot and the one bottle of

Handy was still shown as 'in stock." Long story short: I was fortunate enough to talk to the same guy I talked to last time I was in. He went out back, brought the bottle up to the register and said "You snooze, you lose!" So I walked out with an excellent bottle of ERSB and a Handy as well. THe Handy is fantastic, by the way, easily as good as I remember last year's being.

I'll pour one more lil' pour to toast you all with.

Cheers!

Well; I guess you could call them Christmas Bourbons as the wife was with me and she encouraged me to get them, listed with pictures in Dusty finds.

One Grand Dad Handle appears to be an '85 and two 375s that appear to be '92s

One Heaven Hill green label Old Fashioned Bourbon appears to be an '87

Two Even Williams 200 green label appear to be '88s

Two Dickels don't have bottle numbers that seem to be dates but real tax stamps

One Benchmark appearsto be an '82

One WL Weller has a fax tax stamp and govt warning and UPC

Two Even Williams 200 year anniversary decanters so that and the bottle markings make them '83s.

I received a 375 of Buffalo Trace from a friend who knew I enjoyed it. He and I, along with a couple of other friends, spent Tuesday night playing poker and sampling BT, JBB, JBW, as well as a couple bottles of rum. Needless to say, we had a good time. :grin:

Among my wife's siblings and their spouses or significant others, we always exchange small gifts. Everybody loves to get me because they know that bourbon is an easy route to go for my gift. Since I was tired of getting Maker's Mark each year, I helped my brother-in-law out this year by having my wife pick up his gift to me... a deeply discounted bottle of ORVW 10/107. He was a little upset about me knowing what I was getting, but that seemed to pass after I offered to share a few pours with him.

Got a rare breed, Kentucky spirit, a birthday bourbon and a bottle of knob creek single barrel made exclusively for a local liquor store. I did good

10 yr 107 Van Winkle over Makers? Man that's a choice I would make any day.

For those who don't know as much about bourbon, I've found that Maker's tends to be viewed a bit more favorably than something with a name like Old Rip Van Winkle. Don't worry, I did my best to provide a little more knowledge for my BIL from my limited knowledge bank.

My fiancee got us a bottle of W.H. Harrison Indiana bourbon. And I got us a Glenlivet gift box with 15 and 18 year old samplers and glasses(not bourbon I know but I like scotch too ;) ).

HB

Took a trip down to NYC this holiday, and came back with Jefferson's Presidential Select 18, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Parker's Heritage Collection 2010 release.

My collection of wheaters has grown by leaps and bounds (MM, MM46, W.L. Weller Special Reserve 12, William Larue Weller 2009 and 2010, Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 and 18, and PVW15), but so far the only one I've ever opened was the standard MM. I guess I'll have to crack a new one soon!

My BFF gave me a bottle of PVW15. Thank you, BFF!! And my BiL gave me a bottle of Brewer's Whiskey--malt whiskey put out by the New Holland Brewing Company, signed, batch 1, bottle 238.

I got a 1L bottle of Maker's Mark from my sister but that is all.

I did buy myself quite a few bourbons that arrived in December, I suppose we can call them gifts to myself....

Very Old Barton 100 proof

2009 Sazerac 18 Rye

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Elmer T Lee

Parkers Heritage Golden Anniverdsary

Parkers Heritage 10yo Wheater

Some other things arrived this week care of my sister, she's been holding them for me....

Maker's 46

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 09

Canadian Club 30yo (anyone tried this?)

I haven't had internet for a month here after problems with our service provider, but would like to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011!!

Scott

Took a trip down to NYC this holiday, and came back with Jefferson's Presidential Select 18, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Parker's Heritage Collection 2010 release.

My collection of wheaters has grown by leaps and bounds (MM, MM46, W.L. Weller Special Reserve 12, William Larue Weller 2009 and 2010, Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 and 18, and PVW15), but so far the only one I've ever opened was the standard MM. I guess I'll have to crack a new one soon!

Open the Pappy 15 last. It is, by far, my favorite of the bunch. Don't want to start with the best and create unrealistic expectations. The others range from ehhh to hmmmm.

Open the Pappy 15 last. It is, by far, my favorite of the bunch. Don't want to start with the best and create unrealistic expectations. The others range from ehhh to hmmmm.

I've noticed a lot of folks on SB share your sentiments toward PVW15, BBQ+Bourbon, although there's a lot of William Larue Weller love out there, too. But I think you're right that I shouldn't spoil the fun (and my tastebuds) by starting with the best. Thanks for the advice!

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Parkers Heritage 10yo Wheater

Maker's 46

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 09

Scott

Hey Scott, curious as to where to achieved these scores? Being another Brisbanite.. always curious. Especially the PH 10y Wheat.. i have the previous 3 bottlings and desperate for this one. Also the OFBB and Kentucky Spirit??

Just a bottle of pikesville from my kind lady, I've yet to really have a good sample of it yet but I'd not seen it over here before she got it for me.

That's a beautiful haul. Enjoy!

Well, we had our mail held at the post office and I just picked it up today; got a bottle of Makers from my BIL; it's OK he's Irish what's he know about bourbon :rolleyes: it's the thought right?

For years a scotch drinking bud would gift me a bottle of Eagle Rare until he heard I liked Old Grand Dad. It's the thought that counts.

I see you have trained her well !!!! Do you have any tips for me to get my wife to drop that much coin for a bottle for me????:grin:

My lovely wife got me this!!!

BMH.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.