How Do You Take Your William Larue Weller?

dbk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a bottle of William Larue Weller (134.8º) this summer, and finally cracked it on the weekend. After all the love shown for it here on SB, and my extraordinary fondness for George T Stagg and other BT bourbons, I expected a lot from this one. Unfortunately, I'm just not finding myself feeling the same sort of excitement I had with the GTS. It seems wound up very tight, with something of a Cognac quality to it. That isn't a bad thing, exactly, but it's not the beast I expected it to be.

So here's my question: how do you take your WLW? I don't tend to add water to most of my bourbons—not because I'm macho, but because I typically enjoy them "as is"—but I'm willing to see what water can do for this guy. If you water it, how much do you typically add? And if you don't, did you find it opened up over time, as the bottle got a bit more air in it?

PS Apologies if this thread doesn't belong here, or if it's a stupid question to pose, or if it's been answered somewhere else. I tried doing my "homework" first!

I downright hated the original, 2005 bottling -- so much so that I almost missed out on the execptional '06! -- but I wound up enjoying it quite nicely in a 1:1:1 'mixed' drink with water and GTS.

In light of this question, and for your stated love of Stagg, I'm wondering how you take your Stagg. I'm having the same trouble with it, not finding a way to enjoy it in the same way everyone describes it here.

I can't answer your question since I haven't opened my WLW yet.

I take my WLW any way I can get it. :rolleyes: After all, I am the Weller whore of SB. :lol: All kidding aside, the 09 WLW is a bit "hot". I use a cube or two and let it sit a while. Maybe a splash of water. Or, as suggested by another member here, I add a touch of Old Fitz Prime to it. Takes the edge off, and makes it much more palatable. Joe

I don't know how people here can drink WLW or GTS neat without completely destroying their esophaguses (esophagi?). What I do is let it rest for a while, 20-30 mins, then add some filtered or distilled water to taste. For me, the burn overwhelms the rest of the flavors neat.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, folks! I do tend to let my whiskey "rest" in the glass for a bit, but maybe I should leave it even longer. Perhaps a splash of water first, then play the waiting game. I might also try mixing it with another bourbon, as suggested by a few here, but I was hoping to discover WLW on its own first.

In light of this question, and for your stated love of Stagg, I'm wondering how you take your Stagg. I'm having the same trouble with it, not finding a way to enjoy it in the same way everyone describes it here.

In spite of the ridiculously high proof, I take my GTS neat. It blows my mind every time. That said, I have yet to even try to water it, so perhaps I'll enjoy it even more when I have done so. I know lots of people would sooner water it (see Josh's quote, below), because the burn can be really bad.

I don't know how people here can drink WLW or GTS neat without completely destroying their esophaguses (esophagi?). What I do is let it rest for a while, 20-30 mins, then add some filtered or distilled water to taste. For me, the burn overwhelms the rest of the flavors neat.

You're almost certainly right about that, Josh. I just love the kick of the GTS so much that I worry I'll lose it to the water. But what's the harm of a dram or two of experimentation, really? I'll give it a shot.

You've been really helpful, everyone! Thanks again.

I drink everything neat. I've played around with water and ice, and I still do occasionally. But I've yet to find anything that I enjoyed more with water, than without.

I'm with dbk on the Stagg -- one of the things I love is that it is sippable neat (can't say that about Booker's IMHO!)

Depending on the vintage, I drink WLW neat or with a splash. I've found that one cube makes it a little less multidimensional. (However, I'm going to give the dilute-with-Old-Fitz-Prime approach a try the next time!)

When I drink WLW or GTS I drink it neat but take incredibly very small sips. It taste great to me, I tried WLW over ice and it just ruined it.

I always add a splash of water to the high-barrel-proof BTAC. That's the only way you can get all the taste. A 140 proof whiskey will numb your tastebuds very quickly.

I always add a splash of water to the high-barrel-proof BTAC. That's the only way you can get all the taste. A 140 proof whiskey will numb your tastebuds very quickly.

You saved me some typing.

"how do I take my WL Weller...?"

Anyway I can get it, Baby !!!!!:grin:

In retrospect, this is the response I should have expected from the first ;)

I added a splash of water to my WLW and let it sit for a good half hour tonight. It was definitely more interesting and enjoyable than the last few tries, so I think I'll stick to this regime (or variations thereof) from now on. Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

I downright hated the original, 2005 bottling -- so much so that I almost missed out on the execptional '06! -- but I wound up enjoying it quite nicely in a 1:1:1 'mixed' drink with water and GTS.

That is a really interesting combination, how did you ever come up with that

Straight. Although, I only have experience with the 2010, in my view, when I water it down, it tastes more generic, the flavors are more dilute, and it seems to lose that special character.

I put one cube of ice "only distilled water" in the glass after pouring a 1.5 oz shot. I let it sit and get back to room temperature. Next best thing to a Weller Centennial.

I dilute these to about 80-90 proof.

Gary

Sometimes I dilute mine. But unlike Gary, I typically don't dilute below 100. My favorite proofs sit at 101, 107, and 114. I'm perfectly willing to experiment of most of the barrel proofers I have, and it's a lot of fun and has taught me a lot about bourbon.

One thing you can learn from Gary- Gillmanize. experiment. try it different ways. I'm serious, this is no stab in his direction- I learned something important somewhere in his posts.

"how do I take my WL Weller...?"

Anyway I can get it, Baby !!!!!:grin:

Oh, I'll give it to you!

I don't know how people here can drink WLW or GTS neat without completely destroying their esophaguses (esophagi?).

sarcaphogi, I think? or is that what we do in PR&C? Wait, no. i've got it all wrong. that's multiple mummies in their fancy coffins. DRAT!

I can drink WLW and GTS neat. Sometimes its a lot of fun. interestingly my wife prefers her GTS neat.

I can drink WLW and GTS neat. Sometimes its a lot of fun. interestingly my wife prefers her GTS neat.

Dat's how I likes my womens. When they can drink straight from the barrel, you know you've latched on to a keeper!:lol:

Dat's how I likes my womens. When they can drink straight from the barrel, you know you've latched on to a keeper!:lol:

Interestingly I think of the stagg as her bourbon now, because it is a "fun" bourbon but I just don't reach for it very often. Some of the bottles in there I've categorized as "hers" (including a R&E #1). She has excellent taste and an excellent palate.

Interestingly I think of the stagg as her bourbon now, because it is a "fun" bourbon but I just don't reach for it very often. Some of the bottles in there I've categorized as "hers" (including a R&E #1). She has excellent taste and an excellent palate.

Well, you're further ahead than me in getting the wife into bourbon. I've had no luck whatsoever. She didn't even like the WT Honey that I bought to introduce her to the spirit. (She likes sweet drinks, so I thought that'd work for sure.) But then she's English and doesn't drink beer, so there's not much hope for her.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.