How Do You Take Your William Larue Weller?

dbk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dat's how I likes my womens. When they can drink straight from the barrel, you know you've latched on to a keeper!:lol:

If you think that's good, try finding one that will taste white dog and say, "Damn that's good!"

If you think that's good, try finding one that will taste white dog and say, "Damn that's good!"

Miranda Lambert comes to mind. :yum:

Yeah, I don't know. That conjures up images of Popcorn Sutton with breasts! (Insert sound of man shuddering.):lol:

Yeah, I don't know. That conjures up images of Popcorn Sutton with breasts! (Insert sound of man shuddering.):lol:

You just had to ruin it, didn't you?

Had a glass of WLW last nighjt, first neat and then added a little water. The water opened up the flavors nicely but the extra air time (about 20 min) really helped.

I drink both the Weller, and the Stagg straight. The Weller is a bit spicey to me this year, but I think that's why I liked it a little better this go around.

When I drink WLW or GTS I drink it neat but take incredibly very small sips. ...

That's how I prefer them, small sips neat. And I do NOT let them air. I'll pour a little then sip it. I'll cover with a watch glass if it's going to sit in the glass for any length of time.

I pour them directly into my eyes and if my expression shows even the slightest grimace, I lop off one finger at the first knuckle.

I usually take my first pour with a sprinkle of filtered water.. subsequent pours are usually neat. mmm mmm!

• 3 months later...

I guess I could have put this in the "BTAC 2010, BOTM" thread, but this one might even be more appropriate.

I finally cracked my WLW BTAC 2010 bottle. The first two pours I drank the beginnings of neat, then added drops of water. I found it to be very good, sweet and powerful, though a bit hot, maybe.

My pour today was sublime, though: I poured about 1oz of the WLW, then added about .75 oz of Weller 12.

Really, really nice.

And yet another reason to love Weller 12: it's awesome on its own, and it;s a great way to cut WLW.

I pour them directly into my eyes and if my expression shows even the slightest grimace, I lop off one finger at the first knuckle.

What a wimp! :cool:

I don't know how people here can drink WLW or GTS neat without completely destroying their esophaguses (esophagi?). What I do is let it rest for a while, 20-30 mins, then add some filtered or distilled water to taste. For me, the burn overwhelms the rest of the flavors neat.

When I first tried Bookers. I found it very hot, and expected the same first time I tried GTS. But I found the GTS to be unbelievably smooth and drinkable neat.

I plan to crack open the WLW tonight and see how it compares.

I definitely take my WLW with water. Wheaters at a really high proof tend to lose their wonderful finish for me. I like mine at 100-110 proof, max.

The Stagg is amazing though. That stuff I drink neat, every time. I tried it with water once, and all sorts of barrel notes I didn't like popped out and it suddenly tasted older and almost musty.

I have tried both the GTS and WLW with a little water or a small ice cube. I didnt like them that way nearly as much as I like them neat. Now I drink them neat and take my time to enjoy them. They are both outstanding in my opinion.

I tend to favor the wheaters but I've also found that my favorites are at 100 proof or less. I usually add a couple cubes to a glass and come back to it in 15-20 mins.

I too have found a little time helps open up the higher octane whiskeys, I also find I can speed up the process by pouring into a Pyrex measuring cup from 8-12 inches, then into the Glencairen from 6 inches or so. Letting it splash around a little seems to take a tad of the heat away.

As to the Weller...I love it straight from the bottle as is, I find it too drinkable.

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I followed up on Parkersback's suggestion above by mixing 3 parts WLW to 1 part Weller 12 (and a splash of water.)

The result is fantastic.

I followed up on Parkersback's suggestion above by mixing 3 parts WLW to 1 part Weller 12 (and a splash of water.)

The result is fantastic.

I think your proportions sound better than mine, actually.

Finally cracked open my WLW last night. It was good, and not very hot. I found it to be 'heavy', for lack of a better word. Or maybe 'chewy'.

I take my WLW any way I can get it. :rolleyes: After all, I am the Weller whore of SB. :lol: ... Joe

QFT

I like to drink my William Larue Weller neat in a fresh glass. I first tried it neat, then with some ice chips, next a splash of water and finally with a splash of soda water. I found drinking it neat to be the best for me. I did find that sampling it all four ways helped my palate unlayer all of the various flavor notes hidden in this gem.

Had another pour of this last night, neat. The best Weller I've tried to date.

Neat for sure. It was more or less perfection. And then, to my surprise, I found another bottle last week.

I like the Stagg but the Weller was way into special territory for me, and I don't have a strong preference for wheaters. I like 'em, but I also like rye-heavy and straight rye...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.